Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windrivers' Windriver Mt. Report
Its been a couple of years since I have fished the area of my forum handle so when my neighbors asked me to take them I jumped at the chance.

They wanted to go somewhere adventurous so we went to just such a place.

Gorge Lake is 9 miles up the trail from the Elkheart Park trailhead. The first 8 miles are all on good trail and really no big deal, but the last mile is a straight down plunge of across boulders the size of cars, houses, and as my neighbors said hotels. Just to give you an idea it took us three hours to go the last mile and another three hours to go that one mile on the way home. Over all it was a three day 20 mile adventure with more time spent hiking than fishing.

The long hike down did pay off in the way of suicidal fish. Ironically enough we fished a lake called suicide lake but I think it was named after the difficulty of the hike and not the starving fish. At the inlet of suicide lake our group caught well over 100 brookies, and bows. At one point my neighbor was counting down "5,4,3, 2,1....Windriver has another one..." The upper lake called Gorge Lake was also very good for small fish using small dry flies.

The cool thing about suicide lake was we were using chernoble ants in the fast water running into the lake. The fish were literally fighting each other to get to the fly.

We had a great stream side lunch with some fresh brookies.

This trip will be one that the neighbor boys will never forget. Everytime I get done with this hike I vow never to do it again, then my memory of the hike dims as my fishing memory remains strong and I do it again.

This was my ninth trip into Gorge and Suicide Lake.

Here are a few pics...

Windriver
[signature]
Awesome report. I'd love to go there someday, you've definately got me thinking.
[signature]
The windrivers are awesome. They are so big that I have been hiking there every year for about 20 years and have yet to cover 1/2 of it. Not all the fishing is equal and it changes from year to year however you can always be gauranteed a great view.

Windriver
[signature]
If I could still do that kind of stuff, I'd be sitting on your doorstep, whining like a hungry pup.[crazy]
[signature]
Wow, memories!!!!!! I fished the "Wind" about 2-3 times pre 1990, probably a good bit before, in my younger days. Remeber a lot of boy scoutes on the trail for about the first half. Very, very often I wanted to go back but I just don't have a young enough body to handle it anymore. My vague memory is ea. time we back packed up the trail, Boulder creek?, past Lake Ethel, Lake Isabella, Pipestone Lakes and camped at Lake Prue????? Then we just hiked around and fished. One of the lakes I remember well is a lake up close to the divide in Europe Canyon? that was full of Goldens but we couldn't get em to bite. Couls you guess at the name, would be good for my memories notes. We were pretty green at fishing techniques then but I wished there were a transporter to get me there now because I think I could get em now. [Smile] Dam I wish I was younger again.[frown]
[signature]
I'll look through my maps and see if I can figure it out. I too have had times when I saw hundreds of tight lipped goldens. Very frusterating. I've also had times when I've caught a few.

Windriver
[signature]
You just did Shoshone Lake and now the Winds ???? I have 2 questions, How do you have the time and will you adopt me ?? !!!
[signature]
My wife and I both teach. We decided that if we both teach then we will take the summers off. So that gives me a great life in the summer and the winter.

Windriver
[signature]
So, some how I lucked out and I just got to take my first ever trip to the windrivers and it was amazing! We stayed at the green river lakes and fished the green a little, though we didn't have too much time to fish. we wrassled a few rainbows, brookies and only one brown, but nothing big. This time the scenery definately stole the show! I'll definately be going back with more time to fish in the future!
(sorry no fish pics)
[signature]
Good ol' square top. The Green River Lakes entrance is beautiful. I usually don't hike that entrance because it is such a great distance from lake to lake. However, once you get back in there fishing is really good.

Windriver
[signature]