Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle 7-2-03 report
I got off work early today and headed up to Jordanelle with my dad at about 5:00 pm. We started right accross from the Hailstone docks, and I hooked 2 perch on my first four casts. I was using a spinner. After that, we went up to the inlet where the Provo River comes in. We fished on both sides near shore and in the middle. We caught around 25 perch in that time on spinners, small rattle traps, small plastic jigs and basically anything that imitated a small minnow. The best colors were white and root beer jigs. I was disappointed that I did not hook any smallmouth bass. I don't know what I was doing wrong. The perch really are everywhere. They hit my lure on nearly every cast, though they were hard to hook, even when I had tiny jigs on that they could take.

Some of you will also be very interested to know that we hooked three walleye. I didn't know that there were walleye in Jordanelle. Two of them were very small, around 7 inches, and hit jigs that were about half their length. One looked like it was a fish from last year, and weighed between a pound and 2 pounds. Should I call the dwr about this? Do they know that walleye have been illegally planted in Jordanelle? Or did they plant the walleye when they found out there were perch in the lake?

Also, any tips on catching the smallmouth bass would be greatly appreciated. I was pretty frustrated to not catch any of those, because they are my favorite to cathc, and I did the same things that have generally worked there before. The lake seems to be infested with perch. Maybe we all need to keep limits so the lake doesn't get overrun by them.
[signature]
I agree, we all need to do something about the perch. A few months ago there was a discusion as to whether they are good for the smallies or not, but it seems like there are just way to many this year. Alot of really small perch, 2-3 inch range. I could see 5-6 of those little guys chasing my lure on every cast, regardless of where I fished. The smallies will probally get huge feasting on these little guys, but it does seem like the lake is starting to get too many. When the perch get bigger, are they direct competitors with smallies? I hope not. I also heard that the perch love bass eggs, I dont like hearing that. Maybe if we take some of the bigger guys out, that would help things. We should probally ask the dwr. They were actually doing a survey last week on the lake, and they asked me if I thought the perch limit should be increased. I said yes, but I really didn't know one way or the other. As for the fishing, Tube jigs in pumpkin seed seemed to be the best. I stayed real close to shore. I didn't do that great though, only one smallmouth and one largemouth,
[signature]
Maybe this lake would be good place for Tiger Muskies !!!!! A little perch control indeed . but it has trout so not likely .
[signature]
No need to contact the DWR, they have known for years that walleye had been illegally planted into Jordanelle.
[signature]
I believe that we need to harvest alot of perch they are great eatin' but a pain in the @#&$ to fillet. DWR should increase the limit to 50.
[signature]
If you want smallies, go earlier in the morning shallow and deeper later in the day. I'll be heading up there fri/sat mornings. Main lake points are the ticket now, try using weighted senkos( texas/carolina) or drop shotting small plastics. And when you get a a secret place, send me a pm. I'll try to catalog it or something [cool].
[signature]
Tomgun,

I will be up there on friday,My sisters are camping up there and I will be up there early,they want to fish some so i am going to my favorite spot and catch some huge smallies and perch,do you have a vhf radio,channel 68.

The methode I use is far from what you are using for catching bass,most people fish to close to shore and catch a bunch of small fish,15'to20'is where the big boys hang out,I had some guys come buy last year fishing the shore almost every cast they would snag up and have to go in and unsnag there jigs,as one of the kids on the boat pulled in a 18" bass,LOL,should have seen there faces after about five that size.go vertical thats a good way to catch fish at jordanell,find the big perch and the smallies up to 19" wont be to far away.If I see you up there come by and say hello,I'm in a white seaswirl with the top up,I have a bowmount on the front,and BFT stickers on the side next to the seaswirl logo.I will be on the north end where the road drops into the lake.

Tight Lines

Tony[cool]
[signature]
I'll be in an emerald green Ranger bassboat. My nickname(username) is on the passenger side windshield with BFT tackle sticker. I usually lean up against the bank and cast to deeper water. Vertical fishing with tubes, senkos, and drop shots are the ticket. I'll be on the water before sunrise.
[signature]
hmmm very interesting. a few months ago i wrote about this very topic and that the perch are a serious threat to the small mouth in jordanelle. then everybody said oh no it iwll help for forage and this and that. i see now that my nostradamus predictions are starting to unfold as we speak. its such a joke that literally one or two people can ruin a entire lake like that. walleye and perch didnt belong in that lake. now they are in there infested. the walleye are reproducing if you cuaght some around 7 inches. guess what yuba here we come again. yuba number two. hate to say this but its a big I told everyone so haha. lets get a big tournament together with everybody on the board and go down there and just take home a truck load of perch.

anybody up for it?
[signature]
I am getting pretty good at filleting these [Image: Perch.gif] just wish it could freeze good this winter and I will do my part . LOL Lets have a fish fry !!!
[signature]
How does this sound for a day to perch fish. July 25th, 26th, or August 1st or 2nd. It's the weekend so many of us will be off of work and the ones that do work can come up and spend a half day How does that sound?

GOOD FISHIN TO YA'ALL!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Count me in if it's on the 25th. That weekend of the 1st and 2nd I'll be heading out of the country for about a month.

-Jack
[signature]
Count me in for the perch catching blast also. The 26th of July sounds good to me.
[Wink]Tincanfsh
[signature]
1 and 2nd work for me. ill be in montana over the 25 and 26th. so ill plan on the 1st and 2nd. i think that will work out.
[signature]
Well guys its looking like the 1st and 2nd will probably work better for me as well. My wife is stuck working on the 25th and 26th, since they are giving her the 24th off. what a load of crap. They ought to give her the whole weekend off.

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Sounds like a plan. Should we start a new thread to solidify plans? This sounds like a really fun BFT activity.
[signature]
See thread on jordanelle perch party by Xman. although the thread is long already maybe we should start a new one.
[signature]