Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grey Wolf caught by Morgan .
I saw this on the news today . A grey wolf caught in a trap near Morgan . I might rethink fishing at night on the Weber . I never would of thought a wolf would be out there but always wonder about meeting a lion at night . It would be cool to see it out there . Tight lines
[signature]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Officials Waiting To Learn If Animal Captured In Utah Is a Gray Wolf

Salt Lake City -- Officials with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR) are waiting to learn whether a wolf-like animal captured by a trapper Nov. 30 north of Morgan, Utah is a gray wolf that may have dispersed to Utah from southwestern Wyoming or southern Idaho. The trapper captured the radio-collared wolf-like animal in a trap he had set for coyotes. The animal was alive and was not injured. The trapper was able to get the animal into an aluminum dog kennel and transport it to Morgan, where he turned it over to a DWR conservation officer. DWR officials contacted the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service the evening of Nov. 30. A USFWS biologist with the Rocky Mountain Wolf Recovery Team was on his way to Utah on Monday, Dec. 2 and was expected to arrive by late afternoon. Once he arrives he will immobilize the animal and perform a number of tests to confirm whether it's a gray wolf. If it is, he will transport the animal back to the area from which it dispersed, and release it alive. "We wouldn't be surprised if one of the collared wolves from Wyoming or Idaho made it to Utah as the range of a wolf searching to establish new territory often extends for hundreds of miles. It was just a matter of time---and persistence on the part of the wolf," said Ralph Morgenweck, director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Mountain-Prairie Region. "Our efforts to recover wolves are concentrated in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho and we'll continue to focus our actions in this 3-state area," Morgenweck added. In addition to the animal that was captured, a second animal is likely in the Morgan area. Tracks left in the snow near the tracks of the captured animal indicate it was accompanied by a second animal that may be a wolf. "People do not need to be nervous about the fact that a wolf may be in the area," said Craig McLaughlin, mammals coordinator for the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources. "Wolves do exist in the same areas people do, but they're shy and will do everything they can to avoid someone. The risk to public safety is very minimal." McLaughlin reminds people that gray wolves are listed as endangered on the federal Endangered Species List and may not be harmed. "Anyone who sights a wolf is asked to call the nearest DWR office," he said. Because gray wolves are listed as endangered, they are under the management authority of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.[/font][/size]
A couple of years ago I was up on Woodruff ice fishing with Skeeter. It had started out as an early morning and Skeeter went back to the truck for a nap. While I was out there on the ice all by myself the thought came to me as I looked over the ice and sage covered hills. If there was a pack of wolf to come down off those hills, I would have no were to go. It kind of reminded me of that one seen from "Never Cry Wolf." I told Skeeter about it and he just laughed. I never really thought it a possibility at the time. It was just something that ran through my head.

Speaking of Woodruff, does anyone know what the ice situation is yet? Rainbow sparkle, did you get over there last week and check it out, or did you get to busy looking at those big ol deer? [cool]

HOBO
[signature]
it was a interesting story my uncles buddy caught the wolf in his trap. amazing it made it from yellowstone to here. there is supposedly one more with it. they found tracks with that one. they also suspect they are up by woodruff as well since they have seen tracks there also.
so remember not to cry wolf
[signature]
come on now people there are no reports of humans ever being attacked or killed by wolfs thats just a old myth

tunaman
[signature]
You got that right Tunaman

There was not one case of wolf attack on man in the 1900's

Domesticated dogs gone wild are another story.

There are many stories of dogs released in the wild that have gone wild and maintained their non-fear of man in the 1920's thru the 1950's. These cases were all near rural areas where dogs were abandoned in the wild not far from communities.

These dogs gathered together and traveled in packs, the attacks made by these dogs were made on small children who saw the dogs and thought of them as playful dogs only to be killed but not eaten.

1953 was the last case of wild dog attack in Michigan. There are cases of children here in Michigan every year getting attacked by domesticated dogs.

A wolf will avoid a human when ever possible and will run away unless cornered or have rabies or distemper.
[signature]
hey,

Sorry about that ,that last guest was me. the one with my name on the bottom. someone logged me out and I did not know it.
[signature]
I know what you mean about feral dogs some years back when i was living tex there was a pack around that attacked a couple of kids and seemed to delight in killing chicken and sheep and not eating them
[signature]