Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiger or Brown? EC today
Hi guys,
Marc (MME2) and I hit East Canyon on a whim this afternoon after that big snow storm failed to materilize. It was pretty slow all day except for this nice brown that I got on a gold tube. It was 20" and 3 1/4 pounds, and was released. However, the more I look at it, I'm pretty sure its a tiger. What do you guys think? Fred K.
[inline "RSCN0489 (Medium).JPG"]
[signature]
Don't know why the pic didn't post.... lets try it again.
[signature]
I say brown. Got a top view?
[signature]
The reason your picture did not show up in your first post was because you checked the inline option. If you check that option and don't follow through with the procedure then you get no attachment or inline picture[crazy]. I'll send you a link on how to do it correctly.
It is hard for me to tell from the picture but it could be a tiger but the bars or stripe don't look right. Not to say all tiger trout look the same, so maybe it is[:/].
[signature]
I would say it's a tiger. The white on the leading edge of the pectoral fins, the black on the belly, and the black at the end of the caudal fin are all brook trout markings. Very cool fish, congrats
[signature]
After closer inspection I am not 100 percent sure. It looks like there is some worming and not just spotting on the sides.
I dont think dark bellys or white fin tips are a good indication personally. Click on the link below and scroll down to the weber river brown. Really dark.
http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/utahfish/browntrout.php
Here is a Brown I caught on the Fremont. Notice the fins..
[Image: P1030696.jpg]
[signature]
I would say a Brown, but I have never caught a Tiger before and from some of the pictures I have seen of Tigers we are going to have to say that this fish is a TigerBrown Trout!!!.....but again my guess is Brown!!!
TS
[signature]
im pretty sure thats a male brown in all his spawning collors..theydo look a little different this time of year
[signature]
[quote runnoft]I would say it's a tiger. The white on the leading edge of the pectoral fins, the black on the belly, and the black at the end of the caudal fin are all brook trout markings. Very cool fish, congrats[/quote]

The black belly and white fin edges are what's making me think tiger trout, in addition to the slight "worming" of the spots and bars. The tigers have been in EC for what.... three or four years now? Some of them must be getting some size on them. That and the fact that in five years of fishing EC there's only been two browns caught from my boat. I just don't think there's too many of them in there. Thanks for the input and kudos everyone ;0)
[signature]
We need a close up to really be able to tell what it is. But, it looks like an off color rainbow to me.
[signature]
i agree... i has a little markin of a tiger but def not a brown.... but the face, tail and body structure looks like a bow... i think its just a random colored male bow with different markings.. i have caught them in the weeb black like that...
[signature]
Now that fish is pretty difficult. The coloration is bizarre. I would still say it's a tiger trout with a mutated coloration. Rainbows don't seem to have vermiculations like that and neither would a true brown. That particular specimen just doesn't have as much of the tiger pattern as normal. But it has both brook and brown colors so that would fit the tiger hybrid scheme.
[signature]
It looks to me like a good size Brown. I have seen the same size tigers and the strips of a tiger are more zigzag like. that would be a brown. A very nice size brown.
Pineviewfisher
[signature]
I copied your photo over and zoomed in on it. Zooming in you can see the vermiculations on the side. It also has a head like a brook trout. I am 99.9% sure it is a Tiger trout.
[signature]
Congrats on the nice tiger! Would you mind disclosing how deep you where fishing when you hooked into that brute?
[signature]
HI,
Would you mind posting that enlagred pic so we can all have a better look? I had planned on doingit myself, but just haven't had the time yet. I'd appreciate it! Fred K.
[signature]
Hi SD,
I was tossing a gold tube up shallow, and it whacked it about 15 feet from the boat. I'm pretty sure it was the same fish that I had followed a lure to the boat 30 minutes earlier. It was so close that I could see the gold coloring, black belly and white fin edges. I couldn't get it to hit the other jig, but awhile later it came back nailed the tube. I wasn't more than 5 feet deep. HTH, Fred K.
[signature]