Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My own little perch party
I took my buddy with me up to Jordanelle this evening. It was murder dealing with all of the jetskies around us, but we still managed to find a good little spot. We went out to that point that is exposed to the SE of the marina. I started out by using a senko to try for a smallie or two, but it was just too hard to manage a canoe in rough water and finesse a senko at the same time. So, I switched over to a 2" curley tail and started knocking the perch like crazy. At first they were pretty small, but eventually we found a spot where there was some flooded brush about 3 feet under the surface in about 9 feet of water. The bigger perch seemed to be out in that deeper stuff. From 7:30 to 9:30 it was non-stop. We even managed to get a couple of huge ones. (3 at 12.5" and 1 at 13") Boy were those fat! We stopped counting at around 100, but I'm guessing that we boated 150 or so. The average size was about 8". Once the sun went down, the chubs came out big time. At one point we caught five in as many casts. We only ended up with 15 of those smelly buggers though. (Anyone ever tried eating one? I know an old guy that lives in my old neighborhood in Lehi that loves them to death. He bottles them.)

For me, the highlight of the evening was at about 9, when most of the boats had left the water. I threw a brown senko in that same little hole we'd been fishing for almost two hours and bam....a 3 pound smallie took it! It was an awesome fish....only the second smallie I've ever caught.

It was a good night and I wish I could make it to the perch party with you all, but I'll be in Spain for most of Aug. You're all in for a treat.

BTW, it's been several years since I've launched from a state park....when did it go way up to $9 !!!?!?!? Is that the price at every state park?

-Jack
[signature]
Willard bay charges $9.00 I think it was $7.00 last year.

When I was at Strawberry Saturday afternoon I over heard two guys who where at Jordanelle early Saturday and they left and went to strawberry because it was so crowded with water skiers and jet skiers.

Great job on the perch. I would of liked to see that small mouth.
[signature]
Sounds like great fun. I thought I would share a senko tip that I learned the other day.Fishing wacky style with a senko you can lose several sometimes to smaller fish and that can become expensive. To save baits try this trick. Go tot your local hardware store aand buy some "O" rings the diameter of the senko. Slip the "O" ring over the senko to the middle of the bait. when you rig wacky style just make sure your hook under the "O" ring and you will save many baits. The other day I was fishing with my daughter at Deer creek and she cuaght a six inch smallmouth with a 5" senko lodged in its mouth only 1 in of the senko was sticking out of its mouth and he still managed to take my daughters live worm. Now that is hungry.

I am taking off today for a 3 day trip to Fish Lake. I will report when I return.
[signature]
Hey Shrimpboy very nice report. We'll miss ya at the perch party. Will you have a chance to do any fishing in spain? When I used to live in germany I'd fish for eals in the rhine river. It was a blast. There are also some gigantic catfish looking type fish closer toward the end of the river.

What color of 2" curly tail were you using at jordanelle? were you fishing of the top of the brush or off of the bottom? I need to get me some of those fat 1 and 2 pound perch!

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
There has been talk about taking a morning and fishing off the docks in the Med. Sea. It'd be cool, but from what I've heard, you don't catch very big fish that way.

The color of curly tail that seemed to be the favorite of the fish was the kalins green and pumpkin. We used brown and purple tube jigs as well, but they didn't seem to get us as many hits. It seemed to me like the smaller fish hung out on top of the submerged brush, but the bigger ones were sitting near the bottom on the edge. When we were able to get our jigs down that far without being swallowed by the littler guys, we usually got a good sized one.
[signature]
I am trying to think where you were at catching the perch. Yesterday I tried my own little perch party and could only catch 4 inchers!!! Sounds like you had a good time though
[signature]