Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Fishing: when, where, what species?
I spend a lot of time on this site. I don't post too often, but some of the info here has been excellent.

I've been out of fishing for the better part of 15 years. Now that I have a 1 year old boy and 3 year old girl, I'm starting to get back into it again...slowly.

I have a brother-in-law who's coming to Idaho this spring. He's a former U.S. Marine with 2 tours in Iraq. A GREAT guy. I'm not sure exactly when he's coming yet but while he's here, he wants to do some fishing. My general experience is that it's pretty slow prior to Memorial Day. Assuming he's here sometime between, say, March and May are there any good spots I could take him and expect a reasonably good chance of getting some action? He's out-of-state so I would hate to have him spend $100 just to get skunked.

Any info/input would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks.
[signature]
Oh, I shoulda mentioned...I live in Boise. And I'm not afraid to drive 2-3 hours from home to get to a good spot.
[signature]
like has been mentioned many times this springs steelhead season is the largest number of fish returning to idaho sense they have been counting. if you have the time, patients, and resources it will be one of the best years ever. thats were i will be anyway.
[signature]
Sorry I am not from that side of the state, but I would think there would be many places heating up by that time of year.

Windriver
[signature]
I would recomend CJ Strike towards the later end of that time frame for crappie and possibly bass. Trout are in there as well. I think you can make Riggins in about 3 hrs for steelhead if you tried that option. Slower fishing, but bigger fish. Of course there are several other areas on that side of the state. Check the archives from that time last year should give you some ideas.
[signature]
Also being from Boise, I would agree that C.J. is the spot to target. You do not mention if you have a boat? Kokanee fishing at Luck Peak might be heating up at that time, but it is usually a bit early. If you don't have a boat, Arrowrock can be great at that time of year. If interested, I can PM you some details that might help with the Arrowrock trout. Magic might also be a possibility. Mike
[signature]
CJ Strike crappie
[signature]