Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge upping harvest
Check out this link and tell me what you think. This was written March 18, 2003

[url "http://www.sweetwatertimes.com/gorgenewreg03.htm"]http://www.sweetwatertimes.com/gorgenewreg03.htm[/url]

Sounds to me like they need some help harvesting Chubs from Jordanelle and strawberry to dump into Flaming Gorge. Too bad the logistics would be insane at best.
[signature]
Thanks for the update tightline, it looks like I need to head up to the Gorge and help thin out those Macks. WH2
[signature]
That does bring up a interesting question that I have, when fishing at Strawberry or Jordanelle, what do we as anglers do with chubs??? Kill and sink, take in and grind at fish station, catch and release???? Any thoughts????
[signature]
I just thump them on the head and chuck them back. They usually don't last very long before some big Gull comes and gulps them down. I am always amazed at how big of a chub they can eat whole. I don't know if that is what the DWR wants or not but it seems to work for me and until they say different I plan to continue.
[signature]
Thump them and let the gulls eat them, then your signature reads, "[black][size 1]Let'em live so all may enjoy!".[/size][/black]

[size 1]Thanks for the unintentional humor on an otherwise boring day at work.[/size]

[Image: clear_shim.gif]
[signature]
It depends if they are a main source of food then I let them go. But most places down south don't have any Walleye, Lake trout, Muskie or any real predator fish so I give them a nice little head check against a rock and back into the water for the crawdads or birds.
[signature]
>>[size 1]Sounds to me like they need some help harvesting Chubs[/size][size 1] from Jordanelle and strawberry to dump into Flaming Gorge. [/size]

[size 1]Or the DWR could educate anglers to help improve the fishery rather than taxing its limited resources. They've been trying to get anglers to keep limits of smaller macs while releasing the big ones. But everyone does the opposite, then gripes because they never catch a trophy.[/size]

[size 1]Rather than dumping money into an out-of-balance fishery, it would be better to help restore balance before nature does. And it will, but not to the benefit of us anglers.[/size]
Thanks for the heads up tightline. I'll be watching for the change.

I have kept a limit of lakers under 5lbs just about every trip up there. I learned years ago when I kept a 34" laker from Fish Lake, that I wish I had let it go. If I ever do hook into a big mack again, I will make every effort to make sure it swims away. I have no problem with keeping a limit of "small" lakers anyway, they taste great! A few 2-5lb lakers on an open grill gets the mouth to watering. The only trout I like better is Splake. Try it, you'll like it.
[signature]
Maybe I will have to change my signature to "selective thinning" It is not selective harvest because I sure as heck don't want to take those things home. I do beleive in either harvesting or killing fish in a number of situations. Perch in a number of Utah lakes for example. And yes small lakers are not bad eating so maybe I will take advantage of the upcoming regs. I don't know why you would want to keep a 30 pound laker. They are definitely not good eating! Take a picture and have a replica made.
[signature]
I didn't catch that! Thanks for pointing that out Kent. I needed a good laugh[laugh]. Boring day for me as well!

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]