Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/18 Ririe report
Headed to Ririe w/ the brother-in-law this morning. Got on the ice right about 8am. couldn't decide where to fish initially but noted just past the rockpile some people were catching so we set up about 20 -40 ft past them. Nothing. Nothing on the new marcum except for our jigs. We were in about 86 fow. After watching this same group continue to pull fish up during the next 20 minutes or so I wandered over to find out what they were doing different. Instead the guy says "come on over, there's more space for holes." After making sure he's ok w/ this we moved our gear and punched 3 holes. I drop my line down about 15 feet planning to go scoop out the 3rd hole. No time. Fish on! We worked it pretty good for 20 minutes or so getting very light bites but only landing 3 more fish, then POOF! They were gone! After a few minutes I drop the sonar in the hole and sure enough, nothing there. I punch another hole so each of us has 2 to work with.

Over the next hour or so I played w/ the Marcum LX-3 flasher trying to figure it out. It was getting a lot of stuff on the left side of the dial, but where my lures were was clear. After a while I realized maybe the fishing buddy nearby was doing it. Hit the IR button and the whole thing cleared right up! Played w/ the depth a bit more (still in about 90 fow). then a school came by again just above my gear. I told everyone to come up to 15 feet and we landed 3 more. They then came in about every 5-10 minutes, making fast passes. We ended up limiting at 1030. We almost lost one rod down a hole when a 14+ incher pulled the rod out of the holder but the reel lodged half way down the hole. We also landed one that measured at just barely over the 16 inch mark! Biggest one I've seen out of Ririe. Fish were still coming through periodically when we left.

I had hoped to meet up w/ Windriver, but never saw his command post, but suspected he headed for the line. If it was him he showed up passing us just after we punched our first holes. I'll have to try again to try and learn perch fishing I guess. Overall, a great day and a great test of the new flasher.
[signature]
Thanks for the report...I'll be out there Wed. and Thurs...I need to get some of the stink off of me from Mon. of last week!!
[signature]
Good report. Glad to see some one got into the kokes. We had about the same fishing Friday, where they would come through about every 15 mins. My Vex should be here Thursday, so I will be out Friday checking it out somewhere. Think I will be heading south this next weekend.
[signature]
Yes, that was us that headed out to the line. I accidentally slept in a little. As soon as we punched holes a school of kokes came in, but we only got one through the hole. Didn't get anymore kokes until right before dark.

Spent the day trying to the get the perch to bite. We found plenty of perch. The problem was they were tight lipped. They would come up to investigate and hang around just enough to drive you crazy. The trout kept the kids busy in shallower water.

My neighbor and I ended the day catching 11 trout (Pink, white paddle bugs 12-20ft of water, 16 perch (swedishpimple-ice fly combo in 40-42ft of water), and two kokes (Pink ice jig suspended 15-20ft over 40ft of water).

Would have liked to find the kokes, but the goal was to catch some perch. The perch were nice sized 8-10 1/2."

Sorry did not get to see your Marcum Belasko. I did talk to Kent71 and redleech out on the ice today.

Windriver
[signature]
I started out about 8:30 by the point on the east side past the docks. Caught 1 koke 25' down in120' of water and only saw 2 others caught. Around 11 headed by the rock pile to the east where I saw 3 people had caught a couple. School went by before I could drop 25' to them. After an hour of nothing I moved to the line and watched Windriver catch some. Missed some perch bites. Many lookers but hard to get them to take the bait. I was using larger bait to keep from catching the small perch. Mostly on the hunt for kokes and perch. A good workout dragging a heavy sled about 1 1/2 miles today.
[signature]
I was downsizing to really small to get any perch to bite today. Plan on eating them tonight. I wish they were all those 10 1/2."

Windriver
[signature]