Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Crawfish
Hi
I am going up to Strawberry on Saturday afternoon. I have never caught any crawfish and I am going to try to get some. I have a crawfish trap that I have never used. I was wondering where on the lake is a good spot to get some? I will be on the shore since my boat is down until I get some new seals. I will also be fishing at the same time. Any advice would be great. Thanks. Wiper24
[signature]
MMMMM Crawdads... If possible have a pot of boiling water and some butter with you so you can snack on them while you fish [laugh]. You can catch them just about anywhere aound that lake. Try to keep it closest to rock structures. Also I use chicken or hotdogs in traps, wrap them in a cheese cloth or something like that so they can not pull pieces throught he trap wire from the outside. Have fun catching them and eating them.
[signature]
Hey Wiper24 Crawdads at the berry. Anywhere ya want, there is no bad place for that trap. If you are planning to fish at the same time I would suggest that you setup on one of the points. If you have a Berry map then you could also setup by one of the springs. That way you would have the best of both.
[signature]
i would mainly suggest the dam on the strawberry side, (i thnk thats the side), my friend does really good there, says its nothin to get 100 in an hour, so that would be my suggestion.
[signature]
What if you dont have a trap? Is there a good method of catching them in good numbers then. Or do you need a trap? That just sounds really tasty![Smile]

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
You can do it with fishing line and a chicken bone attached . Just wait till they got a hold and pull them in quick .
[signature]
Can you do this all day long? I was told that you can only catch them at night and trying in the day is a waste of time. I guess it depends on the lake.
[signature]
That's it? Shall i leave some meat on it or something or just a bone and I can catch em' all day. Hustler had a good question too. are they out during the day or just the night?

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
You can catch them all the time. We caught easily 300 of them around noon one day near aspen groove marina. You can also try wraping the bait in a cheese cloth, when you do their claws get caught up in the cloth and they stay attached. another way I have done it when the fishing is slow, I will put a half worm chunkon the end of a line and wait for them to start taking off with it then BAM they are on the shore and I am chasing it trying to pick it up and put it in the cooler.

Whaever you do though is only cook the ones that are alive when you cook them.
[signature]
Its better at night but my kid can catch them all day long this way . May not be the most productive way . Just around the marina is where he did it . I think he was using fish guts to tell you the truth , but I think that may not be legal . He always practiced C& R on them anyways . I have caught them on jigs when jigging in about 20 ft of water on bottom . Not to productive either LOL . At night they will come up from the deeper water and if there is fish guts out in the water from someone cleaning fish , they could be thick .
[signature]
You can cook and eat them right there but when you bring them home they have to be dead dont they? Are they o.k. to be cooked after they have been dead for a while? Shall I just keep em' on ice and besides the tail is there anything else on those critters to munch on thats etible. Are they nice'n'huge or small? Are all these questions gonna drive you [crazy]? Well are they? Huh Huh Huh[sly]![Wink]![Smile]!

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Hmmm could that be an idea brewing in my head![cool][sly][crazy][laugh]! NO! bad loanfish. I'll just use some chicken while i fish in the day and leve some in the water close to shore and when night falls get a few crawdads. Do you know if that is legal. I dont have any idea on the legalities on those critters besides the fact that you cant leave with em' alive. I think!

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
I never have ate them , but I think they need to be cooked at the water you catch them at and alive when cooked . I only use them for bait or a sweetener on my jig .
[signature]
I am always a fan of going to the local grocery store, buying the bags of crab boil for $1.00 and cooking them in that, you definitely get more of the lobster taste, and gives them just enough kick!!!
[signature]