Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
smelt vs. anchovie?
I commonly float tube in the bays and harbor for halibut and bass. we sometimes use smelt and anchovies that we are givin from incoming boats who have extra bait that they haven't dumped yet. what do you guys prefer.

I have been fishing plastics recently, but am willing to give bait another try. I never did do good with fishing live bait from my tube. that is one of the many things I need to work on.

joe
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Joe, I think you know tha answer to this one. The best bait is whatever the fish will bite on...especially if you can get it for free.

Seriously, it is hard to beat a good lively 'chovy for most of the fish along the coast. But, when there are a lot of smelt in the water, the fish are likely to be keying on them too, and one on your hook is more likely to get bit. And, for fishing halibut, don't overlook the "brown baits", like queenfish and even small croakers or salemas. They will take some of the bigger halibut if you fish them patiently. Small fish don't seem to be so inclined to munch the brown baits, although some big bass will eat them too.

The size, shape, color and oily scent of anchovies seems to trigger a feeding response in fish everywhere. They are fished all over the country, whole or cut, after being frozen on the coast and shipped inland to bait suppliers. Millions of fresh water fish are caught on 'chovies that have never seen a live one. And, I have caught lots of decent halibut by dragging dead chovies on the flats, when I didn't have any live ones. Of course you get a lot of junk fish too.

Most people think fishing bait is easier than fishing artificials. I believe that it takes just as much knowledge and skill to fish bait. You have to figure out where the fish are holding and how they prefer the bait presented. Then you have to make the right cast or drift and get the fish to bite, without being spooked by feeling too much resistance before they get the bait down. Halibut, especially, are notorious for taking a long time to get the bait down far enough to get a hookset. Some days you get a lot of pickups but bring in only shredded baits every time you try to set the hook.

That's my opinion. If I had to choose only one bait, I would go with anchovy for halibut. Now, if you are talking calicos, WSB or YT, then I think I would have to vote for squirters. They do love their candy. And, big old halibut usually won't turn down a tasty squid either...especially around the islands.

Actually, fishng bait from float tubes is better than from a boat. Well, not if you wanna hit deep water, but for inshore or bay fishing, tubes are ideal. Presenting bait to halibut is best if you can drag it across the bottom...slowly and with a quiet approach and total feel and control. If there is no breeze or current, a boat just sits there. In a tube, you can move as fast or slow as you want. Once you find out how fast the fish want the bait moving, you just keep on keepin' on. And, shallow water 'buts are spooky. A boat often either turns them off or spooks them into deeper water. I have hooked big flatties in six feet of water, after going right over the top of them in a tube. In fact, in clear water, you can sometimes see them laying on the bottom, or see them chomp your bait. That is a kick.
[signature]
Ok. from now on, when bait fishing, I think I will use the anchovies. however, they are not as available as the smelt.
we also get sardines and live and dead squid from those fisherman coming in on their boats. COOL! one time, I think we might have had a regulation scoop of the little squirters. maybe a little less. squid is expensive too. Aaron caught an 8 pound smooth hound shark, and chris caught a 19" halibut. we didnt fish it long. I am sure we would have gotten more fish if we fished the squid longer.

joe
[signature]
"FRIENDS don't let FRIENDS SOAK BAIT!"

Plastics or bust!

Aaron
[signature]
[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]
funny! we haven't fished bait for a LONG time!

joe
[signature]
Joe,

If u use bait anymore in our tubes u SUCK!

Aaron LOL
[signature]
hey aaron..... remember that week when we tubed 2 days in a row? I caught more fish in ONE day than you did in TWO days.

SUCK? me??? haha just kidding man!

joe
[signature]
[Wink][size 4]ALL ARTIFICIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u suck wen u soack a live one joe...[/size]

[size 4][/size]

[size 4]-chris[/size]

[size 4][/size]

[size 4]man sigh for joe huuuuuuuuuuuh...[/size]
[signature]
hey dude... when is the last time we fished bait??? I think it was cabrillo about 3 months ago!

joe
[signature]
I picked me up a jar of uncle josh shiner minows yesterday and did fairly well on the large and small mouth.

they come alredy dead in a little jare neetly stuffed and all are the same size. I just hook them up like a live minow under a bobber. the waves gave them all the action needed to make the bass hit.

today the fish would hardly nibble at them, I think the snapper turtles must have chased the fish out to deaper waters.
[signature]