Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
taking out the trash fish!
Read an article in sundays dailey herald about the trash fish(carp) . They had a spearing tournament last thursday the winner was the one who caught the most trash fish or biggest sportfish. The dive club said it would be a monthly contest. Don Archer of thE DWR said more work is needed to control carp locally. If they really wanted to remove them why dont they net them like the tons of walleyes they took out of starvation and just wasted ! And like the walleyes and perch they net from yuba to take counts! Anyone have any opinions about carp? Seems the carp overrun all the waters eventually because they can survive just about every condition .
[signature]
As far as carp go i doubt a spear fishing contest is going to do much, i've seen lakes where commercial fisherman take tons of carp out every year and there's still to many left. Once they get a hold there's probably not much that can be done.
[signature]
There has been a commercial fishery for carp on Utah Lake for many years. They take out truckloads of fish each day in the summer, but is doesn't seem to dent the population. Back in the 1940s my dad worked in a trout hatchery in Logan. They fed the trout ground-up carp, many of which were commercially caught in Utah Lake.
[signature]
Cold waters without as much food are your only chance. And then the only time you could even make a dent in the population if you netted them all when they go upstream to spawn.
[signature]
I knew there was a reason that I hated fish sticks!
[signature]
So, the rumors I've heard for so many years are true! I've heard for years that the commercial carp fishing went to processing plants to be used in restaurants. I thought they meant like you go to sizzler and order some halibut and they really feed you a carp! j/k I agree, I never have liked fish sticks either and now I know why! I agree, if it's true that they're taking out gamefish too, thats an outrage! Why do the rest of us follow the Fishing Proclamation regulations when a for-profit company like that goes and gets some kind of special exception! What a joke! Sorry, just had to get my 2 cents in.
[signature]