Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walleye on a fly rod
Has anyone been catching any walleye with a flyrod? I would like to try to do it this summer but not sure what line to use, maybe a #6 or #7 fast sink
[signature]
Isn't walleye fishing hard enough?[:/]
[signature]
I agree walleye difficult as it is, why a fly rod? It would be interesting. If you do it I would like to know how!
[signature]
Yes, a fast sinking line. A type VII is good, I use Depth Charge 300 grain.
Why? because anything can be caught on a fly rod with the right gear[Wink]
[signature]
i have a good friend here is twin that fly fishes salmon falls creek reservoir and uses a heavy sinking tip and a green or brown wolly bugger and he does very well
[signature]
[quote thebug]i have a good friend here is twin that fly fishes salmon falls creek reservoir and uses a heavy sinking tip and a green or brown wolly bugger and he does very well[/quote]
that's a good bit of information this also works for Oakley but add black to the color and fish around the dam [Wink]
[signature]
I caught the biggest walleye of my life so far on a fly rod. I was fishing for smallmouth on a sinking line with a small brown mohair leech. It was right at dusk, the last cast of the night, and she hammered it. I feel bad now that I kept it. It was delicious, but I don't usually make a habit of keeping large fish.

If they're in shallower, like in The Bear and on Oneida, you could probably take some on a floating line with a clouser or other baitfish imitation. I'm going to give it a try on The Bear this spring, I'll let you guys know if I get any.
[signature]
You caught that monster on a fly? WOW!!!! What weight of rod and line were you using?
[signature]
I caught it on a 6wt and I believe it was #2 sinking line. I had been fishing fairly shallow for the smallmouth, but that was my last cast as it was nearly dark, so I let it sink down a steep drop off for quite some time. I was using a little size 8 or 10 brown mohair leech, it was quite the surprise.
[signature]
I only tie up size six and eights so this is a good sign. Thanks for the tip.
[signature]
For trout and smallies, size 6 is about my limit, but I'm gearing up to hit the musky and largemouth this spring, so I've been tying up to 2/0. I'm definitely going through the material more quickly.
[signature]