Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suspender type life vest
Hey folks, do any of you have experience with the suspender auto inflation type life vests? Will they auto inflate if you just get them wet or do they have to be submerged to a certain depth. I was thinking of getting a pair because they look more comfortable and less bulky
[signature]
I got one of each, auto and manual. I use the manual and put the auto on the wife cuz she can't swim. Never had the auto prematurely inflate because of gettin wet w/ spray or rain. But have jumped in with it and it goes off. Not sure just how it works but it does. I have set my manual off by accident when it got tangled in the net and pulled. I love the things and because they are comfortable to wear we actually do wear them.
[signature]
I have the SOSpender Auto Inflates for my boat. They are so easy to wear all day that I won't let anyone onboard my boat without wearing them. Safety #1. [Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
Sounds good, I think thats t[fishin]he way I will go, that way I will probably wear it all the time
[signature]
Just remember that they're only good for one dunking. Once they go off, you have to buy a new CO2 canister to rearm them. You also have to replace the canister every few years in case the gas leaks out.
[signature]
SoSpenders come with one rearming kit and the new kits aren't that bad of a price.
[signature]
Hadn't thought about the co2 depleting from just sitting around but I was hoping the comfort of them out weighed any negatives. I thought maybe the auto model might be better in-case you were nocked unconscious couldn't manually pull the cord.
[signature]
Do they have any kind of pressure indicator to let you know if they will inflate? I'd hate to drown with a good vest and bad cartridge on me.
[signature]
No pressure indicator but the tanks are metal and do not lose gas unless they are fired off.
[signature]
And you bet your life on it? I have a very good CO2 pistol but it still loses pressure some times. I think I'll stick to the old fashioned flotation devices. Like kapok. Well, maybe not that old fashioned.
[signature]
[quote mudsucker]And you bet your life on it? I have a very good CO2 pistol but it still loses pressure some times. I think I'll stick to the old fashioned flotation devices. Like kapok. Well, maybe not that old fashioned.[/quote]

Not only do I bet my life on it but so do hundreds of boaters I'm affiliated with. I've never seen or heard of one failing.
[signature]
Most of the people I know of personally that have drown did so from not wearing their uncomfortable PFD's. That was always the reason or excuse if you will.

No one gets on my boat without wearing one at all tmes!
[signature]
CO2 pellet guns loose psi because the cartridge is punctured when you install it. The vests don't puncture the cylinder until it is needed. No different than the cylinder sitting on a store shelf. But for peace of mind and for a little fun I set mine off every other year. I can inspect the vest and put a fresh charge in them. I trust them as much as any floatation devise but will wear these ones 100% of the time.
[signature]