Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wader Repairs
I've got some breathable waders that constantly get new pin hole leaks. It's almost like the coating is wearing off. I was wondering if anybody has tried some of the different water proofing chemicals like snow or something else to fix a leak.

Any ideas besides the repair kit that comes with the waders would be helpfull. They don't give enough material and glue to really work great.
[signature]
[cool]If you have Hodgmans, and you have had them for at least a year, you can either dip them in heavy sealing solution (joke) or raise them up high and shove a new pair under them. They are inexpensive, compared to Simms and some of the other waders, but they do not hold up. Almost everyone I know (including me) starts fighting the "trickle leaks" after a few wearings.

I think my next experimental waders will be the LaCrosse. They bought out the Red Ball line. That used to be my favorite in the lightweight waders. I also plan to go with the recommendations of everyone who has owned a pair of the Simms Guide Weight waders, and get a pair ot those.

Other than that, the best I can suggest is filling them up with water after each outing and checking for any new pinholes. Put a dab of Aquaseal on each new hole and in no time you will have the whole outside of your waders treated with sealing solution (no joke).

To be perfectly serious, I know there are a lot of "waterproofing" sprays, designed to be used on tent fabric, etc. It might be worth a try to visit a good camping equipment outlet and see if they can recommend something. Let us know if your experiment works.
[signature]
I'm about ready to recoat the entire inside with anything I can. I think the next pair I buy is going to be Simms but the price is unreal. I guess that's the price for being dry all the time.

Is that Aquseal flexable and do I need to use a patch or just coat and enjoy?????

Where would I find some in a small town????????

I'm going to see if they make some water proofing sprays or paste that works like glue. I'll let you all know how well this works.
[signature]
[cool]I feel your pain. Ya know, budgets and family needs sure do get in the way of a guy's fishing supplies. Sometimes ya really gotta evaluate your priorities. Let's see...do I get that new fishfinder...or should I make the car payment? Tough call.

But, when it comes to buying gear that we will be using for a long time (hopefully), you really do need to bite the bullet until you can afford quality. I found out a long time ago that it is better to spend a little more than you want to...than not quite enough. I could have bought a couple of pairs of Simms waders for the money I have spent on Hodgmans over the past four or five years. And, I would probably still be using the first pair.

I can't guess where you might find the Aquaseal in your area, but it is showing up in a lot of different types of stores these days. I would try not only sporting goods, but camping and hiking, pool supplies and maybe a military surplus store that has tents and camping gear.

If you can wait a few days, Cabelas has it for $6.49 a tube. That's over double what I paid for my first tube several years ago, but even with bad luck (lots of leaks), I figure I spend less than $2 a year on it...when I keep the unused tube in the freezer between uses. Here is a pic of the tube. And, no, you do not need patches. This stuff cures to a clear, flexible patch that really bonds well to almost any surface...vinyl, nylon, urethane and even butyl rubber and neoprene. Just make sure you leave the patched spot perfectly level while the stuff is curing or it will run off to the side.

[Image: i810247sq01.jpg]

Hope this helps and that you can find some.
[signature]