Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to store spinnerbaits
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'm starting to get a few spinnerbaits and was wondering what is the best way to store them and keep them in good shape? I know you can buy special boxes for spinnerbaits. Is this the best way to go?[/size][/font]
[signature]
In the mouth of a fish![Wink]
[signature]
[#ff0000]I'm still trying to figure out a good way to keep my "plastics" from eating all of my other plastic.[unsure][/#ff0000]
[signature]
I don't know if this is the best way but here is what I do.

I take a plastic storage box from walmart in the back to school section (69 cents) place a piece of styrofoam over the hooks and place them in the box. Currently I have about 15 spinnerbaits and buzzbaits sitting in the box. As long as the hooks are covered there shouldn't be any problems.

It's cheap and works for me. Hope this helps

Al
[signature]
I'll have to try that myself. Thanks Al[Wink]
[signature]
i once read talculm powder on the spinnerbait skirts keep them from melting into each other and getting all tangled . . .

sm
[signature]
[cool]The special boxes work great. They are designed to let the spinnerbait hang down from the hook, which is hung in a slotted crosspiece. They are bulky, though, and if you take a bunch, it can use up some space in the boat. These are better suited to keeping on your shelves at home, for keeping your lures organized between trips.

Before a trip, you can pick out a few of the ones you plan to use and just lay them in a flat plastic food storage container...like a Tupperware sandwich box. These fit in vest pockets or in tackle boxes, and are big enough to handle several spinnerbaits. I would also recommend a separate box, with compartments, to take extra skirts and spinner blades, for on the water changes. A few extra split rings, swivels, stinger hooks and other accessories are good to have too.

PLASTIC DAMAGE: Most soft plastics have solvents and plasticizers that eat into hard plastics like styrenes. Always keep your plastic baits in a polyethylene box, in compartments...separated by colors. Especially do not put chartreuses or motor oil plastics in with anything else you do not want colored. Also, keep painted jig heads out of the plastics. Unless they are epoxy paints, the plastic will destroy the paint and ruin the plastics too.
[signature]
I found this out the hard way this year. When I took out my tackle box from winter storage, I found that it had gotten a little warm or something. I had some crappie jigs in the same compartment with a clear plastic bubble, and they ate right through it!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Great info! Thanks, TD.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Believe it or not .. A Soft Compact Disc Case works great! You can pick them up for cheap and it zipps up for easy storage. Get the one that holds 20 CDz and your good to go!
[signature]
One of my customers in Montana taught me a good one. Alot of the parts I sell are small {brushes bushings ect.} and we have small ziplock bags that we put the small parts into and then mark the part# and qty on the bad. Well he asked me for a handfull of these bags for his fishing box. I started looking at them and they work great. I buy the plastic hook covers and then put depending on the lure i can put one to four in a bag. When I go out instead of crating around a big box I use my fishing vest and just put whatever lures I need in my pocket. You can tip my box upside down and shake it around and nothing gets tangled. Just my 1/2cents worth but its sure made my life a lot easier. Al
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Lots of good ideas to ponder on. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas![/size][/font]
[signature]