Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Causey Report (7-30)
Went back up to Causey this morning for a few hours. It was a nice day to be out. It took an hour to find the active fish, but when I found a good school, I worked them and was able to boat 9 Kokes. They are increasing in size quite impressively. As you can see the top fish is 16". I turned loose a couple of nice 15" fish as well. They are also starting to make the transition for the spawn. The bottom Koke has a hint of red in his anal fin, and in his tail. The males' jaws are getting quite hooked as well. I should have released the 2 females, but my wife was really bugging me to bring home some more fish. Today the school I found was in the middle arm, 200-300 yards to the east of where people cliff dive. I was getting the hits about 40-45 feet down, trolling 1.0-1.3 MPH. I was using a Kokenee King, and an Apex, I caught most fish off of the Kokanee King.

[Image: Causeykokes2.jpg]

I think the trout must be in deeper water, I haven't caught a single trout in the last couple of trips. I marked a lot of fish off of points, in the thermoclines, 80-120 feet down. I didn't try any jigging, but I did talk to an older couple that was out float tubing today. They caught a couple splake jigging along the bottom. They told me that last week they caugt a 6Lb, 23" brown last week using that technique. I personally think they would have had better luck if they sweetened up their jigs IMHO.

All in all it was a great day to be on the water.
[signature]