Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just be cause(y).
Had the toon out on Causey today. It was a very productive day. See my full report on the Utah boards for the fishin' info. I talked to an older couple out tubing near the dam. They were pulling a TubeDude, and jigging off the bottom. They had been using black maribou jigs. They only boated a couple of fish, but they didn't tip the jigs with anything. I've been batting around the idea of doing some vertical jigging up there, but I'm ususally having so much fun trolling, I don't ever break down and do it. I've marked a ton of fish, down deep in the thermoclines, and I wonder if they would be interested in a little jig-o-matic. What do you think of fish holding in the 'clines TubeDude?

I also saw another tuber out on the water, but he/she was up another arm, and I didn't cruise over to talk to them. There were quite a few people out canoeing, but not many cliff divers this morning. It was a great day to be out tubing on the water.
[signature]
[cool]It's always frustrating when you can find fish and can't coax them into biting. But, with trout and kokes, when they are holding around the thermocline, they are either orienting to a temperature preference or following their food...or both. Sometimes the fish are in a negative or at least a neutral mode. If so, they will not chase a trolled lure. But, if you wiggle something enticing in front of their snoots, you might at least get a tentative reaction bite.

It's a lot like ice fishing in the winter. After the fish have been subjected to declining oxygen over the winter (or increasing temps in the summer), they become a bit stressed and less active in the feeding mode. That's when something sexy, with a bit of sweetener to seal the deal, can often get a bite or two when the usual methods ain't working.

The key to catching suspended and finicky fish is usually SMALL and SLOW. Drop little tubes or marabous down to just above their heads, with a tiny piece of worm or mealie on the hooks. Even a single egg or small piece of power bait can do the trick. Instead of working the jig like a yoyo, try holding the rod absolutely steady and moving your craft just enough to keep the lure moving through the same plane in the water. Hits will often be nothing more than a bit of back-pressure...a rubber band feel. If they smack it, so much the better.

Another trick, when presenting jigs to suspended fish...near the bottom or anywhere above it...is to tie the knot toward the front of the hook ring, to make the jig ride as horizontally as possible. Whenever you get a hit or catch a fish, check the knot to make sure the jig rides level, instead of hanging at an angle. This can make a big difference and will drive your fishing buddies nuts when you are catching fish on the same lures that they are using and not getting bit.

Hot summer is the toughest time to get many species of fishies, but trout can be especially tough. The deeper they go, the more difficult it is to fish them effectively, and the more inactive they become.

Keep on keepin' on. Let me know if you make good use of the advice.
[signature]
say Dude, speaking of species,

when you going to enter in the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=46164;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;"][size 1][#0000ff]Enter The Ultimate 16 Species Contest Here[/#0000ff] [/size][/url] and show us some desert fishies? [angelic]

I entered, just for fun [Smile] I am attempting to enter at least one new fish every week. [cool]

this contest is free for any one who wants to enter lots of veriety of fishies from the Golf of texas to the atlantic coast. we even have one from the pacific coast. Nothing form the desert as yet.[Wink]
[signature]
[cool]Now, Dave, you wouldn't want me to ruin it for everybody else, would you?

I probably have pics of almost a hundred different species...fresh water and salt...but not with the BFT logo and other requirements. Since TubeBabe and I both got his and her digital cameras we have not done much fishing. Between the hot weather and the responsibilities of caring for my parents, our time on the water has been limited.

Did you ever get fitted for a float donut...or are you afraid those big carp will take you waterskiing?
[signature]
I am going to get one eventualy, it is just a matter of time.

for now I am going tubeless... [blush]

I did make one of them float baskets I saw in some of your pictures. I used a water weenie, zip ties, and the net from an old large fishing net and a stringer and a dog clip to hook it on.

I have been trying to go out every day, I am walking the beach line casting twards the drop off but not quite making it. boy would a tube come in handy right about now with water temps at about 70 degrees.[Smile] I have been able to stay out for 6+ hours at a time with out getting a chill.

I do get a bit leerie after dark, them barie harie toes gotta be looking tempting to them fishies...[shocked]

I will probably get me one after the christmas returns in january. good time to get me a deal.[Tongue]
[signature]
[cool]Wintertime in the cold country is a good time to get deals on summer oriented fishing goodies. There are usually a lot of good online deals at that time. I doubt you will be able to find an ice auger big enough to cut a hole in the ice for you to float it though. You might wanna wait until spring to try it out.
[signature]
[crazy] Don't forget to keep your worms warm.

tN2
[signature]
I saw brand new outfits going for more than half off last feburary. I will probably expect the same this year because of the failing economy.
[signature]
[cool]Now, Dave. Even you should know that you need a whole tube. One that is "half off" won't hold air.

I would think that anytime after the Christmas season, and before the spring thaw, you might be able to get some good deals...both in your local outlets and online. Feel free to check in for an evaluation on anything you think looks good.
[signature]
you can count on it, when I find something I think I wont fall out of I will hit ya up for some insier on it.

last feb I found a brand new cadis for $65.oo whent home came back the next day and it was gone.[Sad]
[signature]

Hi there TubeDude,

I think the 'half-off' term related to the person that would potentially be utilizing the tube not the donut itself. ha ha Couldn't resist. I'll stifle myself as best I can!

As you say, those bargins kicking off the season are sometimes the best. I don't like the thought of getting even a tried and true model until I think that I have some small idea as to what might be avaliable in a couple of months after purchase/use.

You would think that the fishing shows would have really good deals on some of the standard leading manufacturers/models but that doesn't seem to be quite so. I'm pretty much checking out the sponsors here on BFT with some success.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Yeah, I know Chris, at LittleFish Tackle has a good lineup, but does he run any real deals?

Last year there were some good buys in the early year sports shows. It always pays to keep the antenna up.

About the "half off" thing. Some of us would be happy to ONLY be half off. A lot of us fisherfolk are already clear around the bend.
[signature]