Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation (report) 8-01-03
[center][Image: winner.gif][/center][center]week ending 8-2-03[/center]

Made my first trip to Starvation today, about 260 miles round trip. The fish were hitting fast and furious caught 40 or 50 walleye and a few smallmouth. The walleye were between about 8in. and 16ins. I kept 10 and they were all around 15 to 16 ins. Caught all off of points using lindy rigs and jigs. Started out using 2 poles but they were biting to fast couldn't keep up and i was missing too many. The smallmouth weren't very big either. Long drive but it was a good time.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Poncho, you da walleye man. No doubt about it! Sounds and looks like you guys had a good time chasing them 'eyes![/size][/font]
[signature]
Love your pics, Poncho. If you convert them to JPG's then we'll be able to view them much easier through our browsers, rather than having to download the much larger BMP files and view them with a picture viewer program. And while I'm at it, a little bigger pics would be good too. See your pic below.
Most of the time my pictures are right on the post so all you do is bring up the post and the pictures are there with the post. I was in a hurry so i did it my easiest way. For your convinience next time i will try harder to do it the way i usually do.
[signature]
congratulations on the post of the week!!! and great job on the walleye at Starvation!!! Never been walleye fishing at Starvation and would love too sometime. YOu are the walleye king!!! I bet dinner time at your house is a hit!!!
[signature]
[cool]Great to hear you finally made it out this way. I've been telling everyone how much fun that lake can be. The eyes may be little, but there are so many that you can't keep them off your line. When I was over there a couple of weeks ago, the smaller fish were roaming around in 7-30 feet of water. The larger fish were closer to 50 feet down. I did catch a smallie that at a guess was 1.5-1.75 lbs. off of the point at Rabbit Gultch. Where were you catching them?

Congrats on the post of the week also.
[signature]
So if you are looking for fish for eating would you go to starvation or Deer Creek. I know the fishing is faster at Starvation but I ate all my Willard walleye and I need some more.
[signature]
I don't know the names of the places, you say rabbit gulch that means nothing to me but i will try and say where i caught them. All came from 15 to 20 feet. Caught a few off the island but did better off the points. The best points were just before you got to the bridge on the lookout side, and the other one was just past the bridge after you pasted the boat ramp. Caught fish every where i tried but them two points were really hot. It was alot of fun just wish there would have been a big one every once in a while. Still i kept 10 that weren't bad with just me and the wife thats probably 3 or 4 meals. I plan on going back cause i really liked the action. We left at about 4:00 cause of the storms we had planned on staying till 6 or 7.
[signature]
If you can average 4 or more fish from Deer Creek, I would go there. You would end up with as much meat or more than you would with a full limit of 10 from out here.

If you are going for a few days, it might be worth the trip out here. The larger fish are few and far between, but with a few days of fishing, you should be able to catch enough to last a while. I usually start freezing half my catch about this time of year to make sure I have some for the winter. I've tried catching them through the ice, but haven't had any luck yet. I'll try again this year.
[signature]
I love the bridge this time of year. The rocks are big, and I usually lose a little gear, but they are stacked up in there munching on crawdads so fast that they hit just about anything thrown in the water. If you left the boat ramp at the State park by the dam, headed towards the bridge, and drove straight through the island, the next peice of land you would hit is the point at Rabbit Gultch. The gultch is the large bay to the right about 1/2 mile before the bridge. Keep on catching those eyes. I hope to run into you on the water some time so I can pick your brain.
[signature]
That was the next point i was going to hit when the storms rolled in.
[signature]
Thank you for the great report, poncho.
[signature]