Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daniels Resrvoir
Has anyone fished Daniels recently? Was thinking of trying next weekend but havent fished it for about 5 years.
can you still use a dropper or is it single barbless hook only?
[signature]
page 4

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/fish/rules/se.pdf

No bait, barbless hooks

I was there a month ago. It was cold and slow then.
[signature]
After I last fished it I heard they had to poison it cause of the chubs,is that true and are there any big Lahaton Cutts in there any more?
[signature]
I don't know if they poisoned it. I haven't heard anything one way or the other on that. Lahontans were only stocked in 1990 and 1991. Since then they have stocked: rainbow, cuttbows, Bear Lake Cutts and kamloops. In the last 5 years they have only stocked Hayspur and Kamloops triploids.
You can see the stocking information here: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/stocking/
Choose Southeast region, and then choose your years, and species, then look for the lake name, highlight it and push enter.

I will try to paste the link to Daniels but sometimes that doesn't work so well with their site. http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/stocki...h_data.cfm

Personally I have caught rainbows there. I was there last on April 19. The lake had just gotten rid of its last ice about a week or so before. The water was forty-eight degrees, kind of murky, and the fishing was slow. I caught three that I thought were on the skinny side.
Sorry, not a very good picture.
[signature]
I have been going there the past five years on a regular basis. POISON?
Why would they poison it?
Don't know about the Cutts, but the Kams are there. But the sizes aren't anymore.
When I first started going, a 24" to 27" was normal. The past three years more like 16" to 18" with an occasional 20+"

Getting pounded and people keeping the big ones.
I kept one legal size for dinner "once" and got to tell you, it was terrible.
All that algae in the water...no matter how it is prepared, the fish tasted like mud.
So, needles to say, I ONLY C&R there anymore.
[signature]
They poisened it because it was getting over run with chubs. Used to be 17 to 23 inch fish was the normal and it had an amazing caddis hatch in late june. One time they were so thick they would be all over your hat and shoulder and tube and if you looked towards shore it would look like a snowy blizzard.
[signature]
I did not know they poisoned it. Like I said we have been going several years. I said five but I am betting closer to 8 to 10 years. Time flies when you're having fun[laugh]
[signature]
It may have been Confused with Crowthers or Pleasant View which are in the Malad area also. They were renovated for chubs in 2007.
Montpelier Res was 2004.
Also there is Chesterfield that has been drained a number of times by the irrigation holders, and it too was treated in 2001 because of chubs.

Either way whether Daniels was treated sometime further back than that or not it is ok now.

It is just a bit over fished in my opinion. Same with many of the other small reservoirs here. Average size at Daniels is now about 14 -18 inches. It is not stocked with catchable sized fish. They stock it with fry or fingerlings, so sometimes survival may not be great if the reservoir is drawn down below the weed beds. Add to that a lot of questionable harvesting and bird predation. Although I am pleased to say that they are patrolling the lake frequently now, so maybe some of that will change.
[signature]
Daniels was renovated for the removal of Utah suckers in 1988.
[signature]
Well, no wonder I didn't know, 22 years ago is a long time.
I agree on the pressure, but with the regs, and slot limit, I have no idea why there aren't more BIG fish.
[signature]
Too many people using bait and exceeding there limit ? Curt G.
[signature]

Too much fishing pressure, especially in the hot summer months. Most of the fish are sick looking in the summer with messed up slime coats, and white stuff growing on their skin. I'm sure being caught, the fight, and the man handling with water temps in the seventies isn't really all that great on their health. Oh ya, and either they can only grow to 18.5", or they are being killed before they even get over the 19" mark because it seems like there are a lot of 18" fish and nearly no fish that are 20".
[signature]
I know what you mean about non over the 18". I think it is harvesting though. Legal or not. While I was camped there last year, I watch three guys on the shore in the grass (hiding) tossing out a line with bait I am sure, and pulling in some big fish. I yelled at them and they threw the fish in a bucket and b-lined out of there. One thing though, I got their plate number and reported it to the F&G guy when he came by.

I have not notice any of the sick fish you talk of. That lake is pretty deep and although fishing in 100 degree is not the best, that is also when some people prefer to go camping and fishing.
Again, that lake is deep enough to stay cooler than the shallow ones. But you are right on extra careful C&R and try not to handle the fish.
[signature]