Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone been to Sage Hen Reservoir this year?
We (my wife, 2 young kids and I) are tentatively scheduled for a camping trip to Sage Hen Reservoir next weekend (weekend after Memorial Day). I've been to Sage Hen many times over the years but I've never bothered to do any fishing at all.

Any wise fellows here care to share experiences? Which part of the small reservoir to fish? Techniques? Bait?

It's been a chilly spring so far...too cold up there yet to expect any sort of action maybe??
[signature]
When you're planning on going, It's a little early IMO. I got stuck hard up there in mid June a few years ago, on snow in the shade areas, on the road. Definitely do not try the 55/Cougar lodge Road, go up thru Emmett etc. I'd call F & G or The Forrest SVc for a road report 1st. Fishing is usually ok. You catch lots but in the 10-13 inch range. The cove before the dam (South( is good, NW side not so good. Flies are Princes, Hare's ears, Buggers.
Hope that helps
Oh..it's a lot of fun on a tube or pontoon...
[signature]
Also, be careful of mosquitos up there. I got bit there and County Health Dept confirmed West Nile Virus. I was sick for a year, 27 days of 101 fever and 10 in the hospital. It was in 05. Just take good precautions, that's all.
[signature]
I was there yesterday. We went up through Sweet/Ola and there road was clear. We tried to go home through Smiths Ferry but ran into deep snow and turned around. So I would avoid that route for now.

While heading towards the boat ramp, we past a guy and his family with a stringer of trout in the 10-12" range. I setup my daughter and her friend on the dock with some worms and they caught and released a few in the short period of time we were there. So the kids should have a good time with worms. I didn't do any fishing myself, but they seem to be biting.
[signature]
Excellent. Thanks a ton for the info. We were planning on going up thru Ola -- with the spring we've had, there's no way I thought the road from Smith's Ferry would be passable yet.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
[signature]
was up there last saturday...fished tripod and did well on flies...

was going to go further up but was turned back about 8mi in because of snow drifts.i imagine with the rain we've had that it will be just about cleared just really muddy...
[signature]
I thought I'd pass along the info...

Took family to Sage Hen this past weekend. We went in thru Sweet/Ola and came out thru Smith's Ferry. Road is open now in both directions. VERY green up there right now. Reservoir is fullest I've ever seen in with lots os water coming down spillway. Muddy, but very pretty.
[signature]
awesome...im going up thursday on a non-fishing excursion (the fly rod will be packed however) to look for morels. Thanks for the info!

Will be posting a sagehen/tripod report when i get back.
[signature]
I look forward to hearing about any luck you have with the fly rod. I haven't been up to Sagehen since I was a kid, probably about 10 last time I went with my father.
[signature]
While we were there, we saw 3 different anglers with 14+ inch rainbows on stringers. Very nice-looking fish! They all said they were fishing with worms. The campground host we talked to said the same: fishing had been quite good with worms.

I tried fishing with my ~4 year old daughter with worms with no success. I set her up with a bobber about 4-5 feet above the hook. I'd cast it out for her and she would reel it in slowly.

I was fishing without a bobber. I put a sinker about 3-4 feet above my hook. I'd cast out and reel in slowly. I had a couple of nibbles, but nothing too exciting.

My daughter's attention span is about 10 minutes -- if nothing happens, she wants to leave. I was really hoping to get her a fish while we were up there but it didn't happen.

Anyone care to chime in on what I was doing wrong? I'm definitely a self-described rookie who's trying to do my best for my kids' sake!
[signature]
Didnt have a chance to fish sagehen because we were sidetracked picking mushrooms, but the res looked really high. Drove on down to tripod and had the place to ourselves. When we got there fish were rising all throughout the res and we were able to pick some up on top with pmd's, bwo's, and small caddis. I switched up to a bobber rig and landed a few more with PT and simi leach. The wind came up and put the fish down but we were able to land a few more before we left.

All fish were between 10"--14". The smaller fish still had their juvenile spots but were feisty...
[signature]
My GF wants to pick some Morels.
Can you point me in the general direction near SageHen?
I think I might try it, small fish or not.
Maybe Lost Valley Reservoir should be good fishing, I wonder if there's any morels over there...?
[signature]
I'll tell you where I fish but I won't give up my shroom areas. [:p] [Wink][Image: happy.gif] Go look, you'll find em!
[signature]
I figured that would be the case. The only thing more protected than fishing spots....mushrooms.
I'm just not sure where the fire was up there. So many choices, I need a lake to fish (since the streams are blown out) and a place that might have morels...hmmm.
Thanks for the info, anyway,I think we'll go up that way and see what happens.
[signature]
ya man, I would just look in drainages above 5000ft on the north slopes. once you have the eye you will find them.
[signature]
This website says they planted 4000 Monday the 14th.
[url "http://www.idfishnhunt.com/swidrpt.htm"]http://www.idfishnhunt.com/swidrpt.htm[/url] rainbow stocking report

If they did and you tear them up you owe me some morrels....just saying
[signature]