Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat owners Attn.
I was wondering what the group of boaters we have here has found to be most effective for removing bolth water spots and that nasty film that gets on your boat.

I have heard rumors and tried a bunch of stuff. Vinegar water seems to have been more work than payoff, aluminium wheel cleaner did clean the film off, but didnt polish up like some say it will. Orange blast cleaner while does a great job of removing gunk doesnt really take off the water spots and leaves a residue. Ducky water spot remover is excellent for removing water spots, and leaves a nice finish on paint, but doesnt do to much for that nasty film.

So, I figure rather than try every product out there on the market my self, I would see if theres any secrects to be learned here.

Not that theres enough water left to get my boat wet, its mostly just the rain. I guess thats not much to worry about though, its olny rained once this year.
[signature]
The best thing that I have found to remove anything I can put on the hull is Castrol super cleaner from the grocery store. Spray that on and it takes everything off even bearing grease run off. The thing that I have heard that does a great job keeping spots off and makes for easier cleanup is to use airplane wax after you wash to hull clean, like in the first of the year; plus a benefit is less resistance against the water (better top end and GPH)and it lasts longer than conventional wax. I have yet to try out the wax, but will soon after the hull on my 85 is refinished this winter.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Try a rubbing compound. It takes that staining right off aluminum and puts on a nice shine to boot. I use my $39 electric car polisher and the staining comes off slick with not much effort. If you have an oily film you might try isopropyl alcohol first to remove the residue before hitting it with the rubbing compound. Obviously, try not to get the rubbing compoud on your paint if you can help it.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I just wash it with simple green and a sponge and then I use ducky spot remover and that seems to work pretty well. If it doesn't quite do it I also use ducky slick finish. I know that is a lot of steps but after you get it good and shiny you can use the slick finish right after you pull your boat out of the water and this keeps it looking pretty good. This does however get expensive I have been looking for something cheaper that works as good as the ducky products. If anyone knows of anything please let me know. I have yet to find a product that removes water spots with less work.

Cableguy
[signature]
I agree with the airplane wax treatment. But I would also recommend cleaning it with simple green first. I used to clean airplanes for a living and trust me when I tell you that although the good waxes out there will remove everything, You will save yourself a lot of elbow grease if you clean up as much as you can with the simple green. And don't dillute the Simple Green put it on at full strength. I actually had some of my own mixes that I used as washes but since I bought them in 55 gallon drums I can't remember what the names were.
[signature]
I knew there must be one advantage to owning an older aluminum hulled boat, and now I know what it is -- water spots don't make my boat look any worse.
[signature]
Lime-A-Way for occasional use, maintain with vinegar/water in a spray bottle, and maintain that wax job with Pledge.

Don't let yout sprinklers pound your boat regularly.
I use Bissel bathroom cleaner. I read about it in Boating Life Magazine and gave it a try and it worked pretty good.
[signature]
I had'nt cleaned my boat for a year and it was looking pretty trashy so I used lime-A-way to clean my fiber glass boat. It worked great but in some areas there was a slight dullness or film. Then I touched it up with windex and I was amazed how clean it was.
[signature]
Kent-Alum fishing boats are supposed to look gray and have film on them aren't they?
Mike
[signature]
I think so, plus mine has some nice black marks from the rollers on the boat trailer to give it character.
[signature]
I just use straight vinegar and wipe it down with a towel. Cost is about $2 a gallon - I have an aluminum hull and it takes off all the water spots.

Why do you guys use a water / vinegar mix? Go for the straight vinegar.

Of Course, for any tuff stains I go for the 409...
[signature]
Hey Marty were you working for the Govt then? If so ya ought to check what they use today. It aint simple green no more. Seems the SG has some unknow side effects to certain metals.
[signature]
I agree with Kent, Whenever I feel that my '62 Lone Star needs a little care, I rinse it at strawberry and wind dry it down Danials canyon.

FDG
[signature]
No, but I have heard it isn't good for titanium or for composites. I was just a private guy but I didn't think the goverment washed their planes.
[signature]
Their planes, their tanks, their boats and ships, just about everything that needed cleaning at one time or another got a dunking in SG. Theey found it could and would work it's way into some sensitive ares of electronics and work wonders on them. I would hate to be in the firing range or any where near those things for miles!
[signature]