Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glenndale/Twin
Once you see them side by side, they are easy to tell the difference. The main difference is GS have a large mouth that looks like a bass mouth. BG have a small mouth. GS also have the "Blue Lightning" stripes on there head that shows up quite well and their gill plate is actually black and most of the time has a slight yellow border, not blue like a BG. The tips of the fins on a GS are usually yellow. The GS will breed with a BG and then you get all sorts or combinations. GS are very aggressive compared to a BG. GS are considered an evasive species in a lot of places as they multiply quite fast, are very aggressive, eat just about anything including eggs and small fish.

Good luck with the record. That is the largest GS I have seen in Idaho.
[signature]
I know everyone is thinking they are greensunfish, but F&G has never introduced any in SE Idaho according to their records, at least online records. Would have had to be introduced by some one else from a long way away if they are. Which around that part of the country seems to happen all the time. I looked at all the stocking from the 3 regions in SE Idaho and no green sunfish are mentioned any where.
Your are right, no GS have ever been planted by F&G. They are around tho. McTucker ponds has quite a few and I am sure there are other places. I have about 40 of them in my pond along with BG so I can see the difference quite well.
[signature]
I don't know for sure that this is the case here, but many fish and game departments when they plant fish like blue gill and bass will simply go to an area that has a good supply and electroshock a bunch and then plant them in the other lake. Sure they aren't going to miss species like chubs or others that they don't want, but bluegills and green sunfish are enough alike that it is easy for them to get mixed in, and they may not care if they do. But they will only list that they planted "bluegill".
[signature]
That's a good possibility. There are definitely green sunfish in the whole Bear River system. I've caught plenty on Oneida Reservoir clear down to the river below Cutler. Regardless of how they got there, they are there, and in pretty good numbers. Congrats on the big sunfish Fishin Ma. That's quite the fatty.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the input! Just to clarify I caught it below Oneida on the Bear River Franklin area not Twin Lakes. I just thought it was a dandy to post. Now that I look at some of the Blue gill pics out of Twin there is quite the difference. Thanks Again you guys are super!
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]