Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help my feet are cramped
I just bought a tube and the last time I went out I was wearing my neoprenes and just a pair of shoes and it fit nice and snug into the browning fins.After about 20 minutes though my feet began to cramp up severely. I dealt with it for another 1/2 hour till I could no longer take it and went back in. When I got out of the water they didnt seem to hurt as much. Is this just the pressure of the water or what?

It took about a half hour of just standing there fishing off of shore till I was ready to get back in. This time without the shoes. I had determined that the flippers would stay on as long as I didnt put to much force into moving through the water. I still had my waders on at this point and it was like 90 degrees outside.[crazy]Talk about hot and sweaty. What a joke.

My question is this. Its too hot for waders and the water is great. I dont want to wear waders. I'd rather just wear shorts. The problem is that if im not wearing the waders the chances that my fins will stay on are slim to none. Those fins are a pain in the but to adjust and I really dont want to anyhow till winter or when the water cools down, Guess i'll need to then. I need something that I can wear on my feet that is enough to keep my fins on snug without cramping up my feet.

I dont know if this explains my dilemma but maybe someone in here can help me with this.
[signature]
[cool]First of all, do you have the type of fins with adjustable heel straps? That would help solve some of the problem. If not, if you have the whole foot pocket fins, without much adjustability, that will be a different matter.

I always recommend that you buy fins with all your gear with you to test the fit. Cram on as many layers as you would wear on a super cold day, and then buy fins big enough to handle the load. If you force your properly layered feet into fins that are too small, you WILL get foot cramps. These are caused by constriction and forcing the bones and muxcles to assume unnatural positions. In the winter it will make your feet get cold quickly, not just because of the water temperature, but because when your feet are constricted you do not get the warming blood flow. It doesn't matter how many layers of wool or neoprene you have on, if you are not getting any blood flow.

In the warmer weather, when the water temps get over about 75, it is more refreshing and less hassle to fish without waders. But, there does need to be something between your feet and the fins. I wear the Redhead "flats boots"...skin diver neoprene booties, with a hard sole. I wear one pair of nylon socks over my foot, before putting on the bootie. Nylon is more frictionless than cotton and less likely to cause blisters.

You can also use those cheapie "reef walkers"...the slip on nylon shoes with the hard rubber sole. AGain, revommend that you have at least one pair of socks on between your bare foot and the slip-on. You can also use an old pair of cheap deck shoes or tennies that have lost their charm. These are light and flexible enough for comfort, but rigid enough to help hold on the fins.

Sorry, I have been meaning to put together a pictorial of the kinds of footwear I use...or have used...for float tubing. I have tried just about everything at one time or another. Money is always a consideration, but if you get serious you may need to consider either another set of foot coverings...or another set of fins. You can always add layers to fill in some slack space...but you can't chop off some toes to make more room if it is too crowded in there.

Let me know what kind of fins you have and we can work from there. In the meantime, ditch the neoprenes and fish in comfort.
[signature]
I have also used a pair of Browning fins (see pic) since I started float-tubing 15 years ago.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=351;]

I have used an old pair of sneakers (w/o waders) successfully, and now use a pair of cheap water shoes I picked up at wallyworld for $5. I could kick as hard as I want and still not loose the fins. When I have my waders on, I re-adjust the strap and just wear my waders w/o shoes. I have an old pair of Teva's that I wear down to the water's edge so I'm not trapsing about putting a hole in the sole of the waders. I store the sandles in the back of a tube or tied to the frame of a pontoon.

Good luck and happy fishing!

ES
[signature]
Those are the exact same fins as mine. I cannot get them to adjust. How do you do it? Maybe some wd40 to get them to budge around that metal piece. Or do you have a way of doing it?
[signature]
I suppose I can pick up those redheads boots at any sporting goods place right? I have never heard of neoprene socks. Are they compfy? What kind of a cost am I looking at for these items? And thanks a ton for all that info. Last time I went to strawberry in a tube(my 1st time in a tube) my feet got very cold even though I wore plenty of covering including my neoprenes. They were different fins. Diving fins of some sort. I really liked them because they were so long and I could really get moving with em. Id like to get some of them but the guy that I borowed them from moved and I forgot to ask him what kind they were. My feet were quite cramped then as well but they werent adjustable. they were one piece like a slip on. but man I could get around with those fins. I guess I'd just have to get a size bigger or something.
[signature]
[cool]These are the RedHead "Flats Boots", from the Bass Pro Catalog They ticket out at about $29. but last for years. You can definitely find serviceable ones for less.

[Image: 62899.jpg]

I use them only for "wadin' wet". They have a narrow ankle which would make them more difficult to wear with ultralights...with neoprene foot sections. These are generic. You can find very workable boots at any dive shop...or online. However, given your luck at finding a good fit, I would recomment going to a dive shop with waders and socks, to try them on.

I DO have a pair of neoprene socks, but I think I said NYLON socks. Specifically, I use one of the oldtime pairs given to me by kids or others who did not have my same impeccable taste in clothing. Rather than leave these lovely nylon blend socks in my drawer forever, I integrate them as a soft and slippery layer between foot and chaffing surface. You just have to be careful not to use really loud ones and leave enough exposed for the fish to see. It's downright embarrassin' to have a school of trout laughing at your funny socks.

On those fins, most of them are adjusted by snapping out the catch and then pulling the strap over the metal catch bar in the buckle. Don't use WD40 on rubber or silicone. It has solvents that don't do them much good. Just some lightweight oil will help. If there is water crud in the mix, a soaking in a descaling solution (like for the bathroom) will loosen it up. Again, if you need help, take them into a dive shop and they can show you how to make the adjustments.

That's one of the things I like about the new Mares Plana Avantis. There is a push button on the side that lets you do a one hand adjustment.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage219962.jpg]
[signature]
Those fins look pricey but nice. what sort of tag do they carry? Is that a product that Sportsman's would carry? They look sort of thin too. Those Browning fins came with the tube and it just so happens that they are wide enough for my foot. I have a wide foot and have a hard time finding shoes to fit.
[signature]
Check out the local dive shops as TD suggested. Search the yellow pages for the nearest one and ask for booties. Prices vary but look to spend at least 30 bucks. My booties and fins are US Divers. At least I can still use some of my dive gear out hear in UT.[Wink] If you go in wet you don't need anything under the booties, just your bare feet and the heels are designed so the fin straps can't slide off. There should be enough room to put them over your waders also. Don't hold me to that cause' I haven't tried it yet. When it comes to flippers and related gear a dive shop can't be beat. Can you imagine the problems you would have if your flippers kept slipping off at 40' down while wearing a constrictive wet suit, gloves, and mask vision. Not to mention all the other crap you need to carry like your own air. Be warrned if you do get dive flippers they don't float long. They are designed to be neutral to negatively boyant so once they fill up down they go.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, loanfish, here is the link to the whole thread on the review of those fins, and some links to some of the discount locations on the web where you can buy cheap.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=48305;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=48305;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/url]

If you get the XL size, there should never be a worry about foot room. I wear a size 13 shoe, and my fins hold my foot, two pairs of heavy socks and neoprene foot pocket on my waders...plus a bootie. If you wear a size 10 to 12...even a wide foot...the Large will probably work. Again, it is always best to try before you buy.

Pricey? There are lots of fins on the market for under $50, that will get the job done, and will last many years...unless you donate them to the gods of the deep by not having your straps adjusted right. You can also spend over $300 for exotic diving fins. Not necessary. Those Mares fins usually retail at about $80, but can be found on the internet skin diving shops for under $50. But don't buy anything unseen unless you know exactly what size you need...in what model.

Go ahead and check Sportsmans...and even Wally World (WalMart). They sometimes have fins, but don't buy too cheap. Remember, it is better to spend a bit more than you wanted...than not quite enough.
[signature]
You need to pull the metal clasp off the fin itself. You first pull up directly away from the fin. This is the hardest part. There is a lip that holds the clasp and strap in place and you have to pull it over that lip.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=358;]

Then it just slides off the fin. You can then easily adjust the strap. Your heel strap will have shoe sizes marked in it. I haven't found much use for the size markers other than general recommendations. I adjust them for comfort. If you ever break a strap, which does happen, you can buy replacement straps at Sportsmans for $2-4 a piece. I always carry a replacement strap just in case I break one. They will only break when they are old and splitting.

Good luck and I'll see you around!

ES
[signature]
Thanks for all the wealth of info guys. Much obliged![Wink]
[signature]
hey loanfish you should have asked me how to adjust them since you bought them from me. i just wear my tubesocks with the fins they worked good for me unless you get a rock in them
[signature]
here is the pic of loanfishes tube and fins it took awhile to get the pic developed
[signature]
You are stressing muscles in ways you never have before. Try not to point your feet any one extreme at first. Atfer you break your muscles in you won't even be able to get a cramp if you tried. I use the brownings pictured on a bare foot with the straps just tight enough to keep em on. Painful suff, hang in there.
[signature]

Hey TubeDude,

Do ya use 'D' or 'C' size dry cell batteries in those things? Looks like the 'air jordans' of the flipper world! ha ha Thanks for the pic..... pretty cool looking.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Yo, JapanRon. I am environmentally friendly. I would never dream of using a power system designed to wear out and become more toxic landfill.

I have the new BFT solar power generator hat. It works great for "auxiliary" energy for my propulsion system. The only downside is the extended bill. In order to hold enough solar cells to amount to anything, the bill on the hat extends ten feet...and it is heavy. My neck is killing me, but my legs are fine.

I am still working on the power conversion unit for my new design for offshore power generators. The basic fuel is burritos...a commodity in great supply at a reasonable price.
[signature]
Those are the exact same fins I have except I think mine are Stillwater brand. The construction, color, etc. are identical. The problem with mine is that the rubber straps are cracking and they are ready to break. I'm afraid I'll lose them the next time I go and get stuck out in the lake. Anyone know where I can get replacement straps? I'd rather get them then new fins, because I'm sure it's cheaper, plus I'm happy with their performance.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, CM, those straps are a good investment. Always a good idea to have a backup set. Even better to replace them as soon as your old straps show some wear. Better to spend a buck on a new strap than to have to buy new fins because your other ones took a deep dive when the strap broke.

Another good idea is to either buy a commercially made set of safety straps or make your own with some cheap stretch cord. These go around your ankle and attach to the fins, to prevent loss in the event your fins slide off or the strap breaks. Just be sure to attach them to a buckle or something besides a strap...which could break.

You can find extra fin straps at any dive shop. They may even have them at Sportsmans or Wally World. Check in the fins and water toys department. Make sure to take one with you for proper length and size. Some are wider than others and not all fit in the same buckles.

I just retired a set of Mares Plana Avanti fins that I had used almost 20 years...in fresh and salt water. The straps have never been replaced and are still looking good. On the other hand, I have seen fin straps that turned to powder after only a couple of years.
[signature]