Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellowstone Park help.
So me and the wife are headed to Jackson and then to Yellowstone for a quick get away trip in 2 weeks. I have never fished in the park and thought about buying a license, they are not very expensive.

I wont be fishing all day just maybe a hour or two here and there.

If anyone has any advise they would offer on rivers to hit or miss as well as any flies to throw. I'm sure I will only be fly fishing.
thanks in advance
[signature]
I usually do really well on the Gibbon. I used royal wulff, renegade, grifiths gnat. All work very well. Also had hits on the firehole with them too. The Firehole can get rather warm at this time of year for it is fed by the guysers and the fishing can be a little stressful on the fish. The maddison is pretty good as well. Check with the local fly shops at West Yellowstone as well as the ranger offices in the park. The visitor centers can give lots of good info of where to catch fish on different stretches of water as well as supply maps.
[signature]
I have never fished IN the Park, so I am hoping for some killer pictures, okay?
I plan on changing that this year however.
I have fished the Madison outside the park and caught a monster Brown.
[signature]
Do you know what part of the Park you will be in mostly? It's a big place, and if you want to see it all, and only have a day to do it, fishing likely won't be part of the equation.

IMO Yellowstone is about as pure fly fishing as it gets. It's pristine, well kept, and natural in most ways. In 2 weeks you might have some gray drake hatches. My favorite pattern for that happens to be a green drake pattern! (I think profile is more important than color most times)

I'm not sure if they are behind this year up that way like last year, but hoppers and other terrestrials like chernobyl ants should bring fish to the surface as well. Some places up there have salmon fly hatches, so we learned a few years back that on those places fishing hoppers with defined, bright orange in them produced well.

As for where to fish....man....find water and hit it! Again, that depends on where you're going to be in the park and realistically how much time you can devote to fishing. The Yellowstone, Lamar, Soda Butte, Gardiner, Firehole, Madison and this list goes on all are right off the road in some places, or very reasonably close to the road at least.

Don't overlook caddis hatches this time of year on the Yellowstone....if the fish are there, they get BIG! Read one time that tagged cutts in the Yellowstone have traveled as much as 7 miles in one day. Blew my mind! Those fish like to move, they are either there or they are not.

This book is killer for Yellowstone advise as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Yellowstone-Fly-Fi...658&sr=8-1

If you can get one, it will give you all the info you need and more!
[signature]
I have no particular plans on what we are doing in the park. Im leaving Jackson on Friday morning heading toward West Yellowstone Mt for Fri night then heading back to Jackson on Sat night. So just a bunch of driving. I will drive to a location to fish it for a few hours then continue on our way.
No real plans so to fit a river in for a few hours is not a problem.

I hope to put up some pics so If I find some fish Ill post pics.
[signature]
So if you're leaving Jackson Friday morning, and your goal is to stay in West Yellowstone Friday night, and be back in Jackson Saturday night...if I'm reading that right, that basically give you two FULL days in the park if you want. Your park pass is good for a week and your fishing license will be good for 3 days minimum, so you might as well get in a couple days worth if you've got the time and ability!

You're only about 1.5 hours (maybe less depends on how fast you drive) from Jackson to the South Entrance of the Park. So depending on how early you want to wake up and get on the road, but for sure you could be there by lunch without much effort. There isn't a real easy way to just go all around the park, you'll be back tracking pretty much no matter how you try and do it. Most of my favorite places to fish in the Park are in the north and north east areas. To qualify that, I have spent a lot more time over there, so the other places could be just as good if not better.

Here is what I'd do if I was in your situation (assuming your traveling partner is game for some fishing!) Enter from the south and focus on the Firehole and/or Madison that day. You could see some of the sights like Old Faithful as well without too much of a detour. Check with some local shops on hot spots and flies for those a couple days before you head out. Watch for the temps on the Firehole, they shut it down when the temps get too warm. These are easily accessible from each other and could give you an hour or two at each place while seeing some of the sights as well.

For your second day, wake up EARLY and head to the NE portion of the park. You'll see TONS of wildlife on that trek. On your way stop in Mammoth for fun and also check out the Gardner River in the area. Funny story last time I fished it, my buddy caught a cutt, bow, brown, and brookie all on that river in 1 day. He had a 20+ fish day easily. I got skunked. I can't explain it. Just one of those days. It's a lot of pocket water, but fun to fish. Then head to the NE portion of the park (my favorite) and the options are many. Wildlife in this area is insane. Bears, wolves, bison, elk a plenty. I'd stop in at the Lamar River and toss a line, and proceed up the road to Soda Butte. Soda Butte won't have huge fish, but is one of my favorites there that are along the 'beaten path.' Right along the road most of the way, and fun fishing. I would suggest Slough, but it's more of a day thing, not an hour or two thing. Then you can swing passed Yellowstone Lake on your way out the south entrance and back to Jackson that day. It will be a full day, but most days in the Park are.

I think the most effective way to fish these rivers in Yellowstone is figuring out what's going on with the hatch and matching that stage exactly. Before you go off and say, "No crap genius!" Most anglers don't do this on a regular basis. They just see adults and throw adults, or if not, throw general nymph rigs. Yellowstone isn't like most our rivers around here. Often, matching the stage of the hatch is necessary to even catch a fish. There should also be terrestrials, and that is a fun way to fish.

It really is one of my favorite places to visit and fish. So many options. Get that book I linked you to if you can and it will give you more information than you could probably do in a lifetime up there. But I'm going to have a good time trying!!! [Smile]
[signature]
Thanks TS30, thats what I was looking for. I figured I could stop in the fly shops and get a little advise too. We will basically be in the park two full days with the over night in West Yellowstone.

Thanks
[signature]
Check on road work in the park. Also Blue Ribbon Flies have a websight.
[signature]
Thanks for the great ideas of where to stop and fish in Yellowstone. I am headed there this weekend so your information is very timely indeed.
[signature]
good luck.... look forward to a full report once you return... :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
If you have a hard time finding a fish on your fly. you can also try a size 6 floating rapala in a brown or rainbow colored. just remember you got to take off one of the treble hooks. and you cant use them in the firehole or the lower gibbon below the falls. just hold on because there are some monster fish to be had in yellowstone. Just don't be alarmed if people come up to you and start yelling at you for using them. most of the people think it is flyfishing only. but it isn't. but best of all enjoy the time with your wife.. pineviewfisher
[signature]