Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's Fork (island park area)
Stayed at the Coffee Pot camp site Mon-Thur and did a lot of fly fishing...this is my second year fishing that area..very cool camp site but the fish are extremely small...it was that way last year too...I was wondering if anyone knew the reason...It is a shallow river, never getting any deeper than waist high..maybe that could be the reason?? I did happen to see a red Kokanee jump completely out of this water...look to be about 12 or so inches...would of been cool to catch with the fly rod.
[signature]
just thought you need to know you were on the henrys fork of the snake. not the buffalo river the buffalo is by ponds lodge..
[signature]
Hey , thanks for the correction...I should of known that...Buffalo is much south from where I was..[crazy]
[signature]
I thought there were bigger fish than that in that area near coffee pot rapids. I don't think it is the water depth. Maybe the water temps are up a bit and the bigger ones are slowing down?

Windriver
[signature]
If the Kokes are running, try nymph fishing with a strike indicator in the water just above where it starts into the rapids. Big fish from the lake like to follow the Kokes up and graze on their eggs.
[signature]
You must be talking about the lower coffee pot area..I'll have to give that a try...I was there last year bounc'n worms with my eggbeater...will have to give it a try with my fly gear...thanks Biglew
[signature]
I'm talking about the area above the rapids, where the quiet water starts to fall into the rapids. It is accessed from the North side, (Stamp Meadows road) and marks the end of the quiet, slow-moving water below the campground. Now's the time. Good luck.
[signature]
I have to agree Lew. We fished there a few years ago.
The bright red Koke were circling my legs and there were some big ones.
I had Elvis with me.(My miniature Schnauzer) and the Osprey circling was eye balling him, so I sat beside him. The Osprey decided for fish. Swooped down and landed at least an 18" out of water about a foot deep.
[signature]
keep Elvis close Flygoddess, That is bear country.
[signature]
Interesting story about that area. We were fishing away, having a good time, when here comes a guy with his 12 yr. old daughter, floating down the river in a 10 foot fibrelgass dinghy. I asked as they floated by, "You're not taking that through there, are you?" I told them there was some really rough water below, and they would be advised to find a way to get the boat back upstream to the campground, cause there ain't no get-out anywhere around here. They moved down a bit and talked to some other people, who evidently told them that they'd be OK. I looked up, and there they went, down into the chute. A while later, a kid came up the bank hollering, asking if someone had a piece of rope. A guy was stranded in the middle of the river, and his boat was wrapped around a rock. The daughter had gotten out somehow. We were getting ready to leave at dusk, and were the only ones left in the area, when I looked up, and here come three teenage boys in a 12 foot aluminum cartopper. I told them that "If you go down there, you're gonna die, and we're the only ones around, and we're leaving." I guess they got out. at least we didn't see anything on the news the next day. Folks, don't float through Coffeepot Rapids unless you're real good with a kayak, or know how to swim in really gnarly water.
[signature]
Lewie, people with an IQ over 10 know not to run that part of the river. Maybe it's God's way of thinning the gene pool for those that want to try it.
[signature]
Must have been Utahans. Wink
[signature]
[quote mojorizing]Lewie, people with an IQ over 10 know not to run that part of the river. Maybe it's God's way of thinning the gene pool for those that want to try it.[/quote]

BINGO!!!

No matter what happens, they will only run that part of the river ONCE.
[signature]
[quote flyguy66]Must have been Utahans. Wink[/quote] Better watch it.."flygoddess" will be on ya [Smile]
[signature]
I would have said Utards[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
[quote prvrt][quote mojorizing]Lewie, people with an IQ over 10 know not to run that part of the river. Maybe it's God's way of thinning the gene pool for those that want to try it.[/quote]

BINGO!!!

No matter what happens, they will only run that part of the river ONCE.[/quote]

It's a fun float, in a rubber raft! [Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
See post below!
What a Utard!
[signature]
[quote mojorizing][quote michael44]I would have said Utards[.img]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/images/gforum/happy.gif[/img][/quote]

God, I laughed my ass off reading that.
Utards.
Wow, did you come up with that all by yourself?[bobhappy]
[signature]
[quote X2FSH][quote flyguy66]Must have been Utahans. Wink[/quote] Better watch it.."flygoddess" will be on ya [Smile][/quote]

Born and raised Idaho...just the plates say Utah.

I heard one of the floaters name is Cole?[Wink][cool]
[signature]