Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle provo report.
Whent out sunday to the middle provo. Hooked to small brookies. Great weather just slow fishing. Going to try to make it back up there this week some time. Hopefuly I can Get into some browns.

My your hooks atsy active.
[signature]
where abouts where you. and what were you using, I fish this water a lot and i know some secret spots.
[signature]
Brookies? Are you sure? I've never heard of brookies being in the provo, except for way up near trial lake. That's cool if you caught them down in the middle provo.
[signature]
I was bout 1.5 miles down from the damn. Was useing dry flies. Pritty shure they were brookies but i could be wrong. Was fishing the west side of sure. Tryed some nympths but had no luck with them.

my your hock stay active.
[signature]
Brookies are often mistaken for brown trout:

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=434;]

Brook: Exhibiting a wide range of colors, brook trout (another char) may be olive to blue-gray on the back to white on the belly. Red spots, usually with bluish halos around them, are present on the sides. Characteristic light wavy marks on the back are a distinguishing feature. Obvious white and then black stripe along the fore edge of each of the lower fins aids in separating brook trout from most other trouts. Caudal fin is square or lightly forked.

[image]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=435;[/image]

Brown: It is a very hardy trout that competes well with other fishes and endures marginal water qualities better than most trouts. It generally has golden brown hues with yellow under parts. The males during spawning are often brilliantly splashed with crimson spots circled with blue halos. Its upper body is usually profusely dappled with large, irregular, dark-chocolate spots. It is quite carnivorous and sports a stronger, sharper set of teeth than most trouts. Brown trout often grow to considerable size.
[signature]
Thanks for the pitchures and the id info. I think I was wrong and they could have been small browns. They were only about 6 inches long. Thanks again. Next time i'll check bettery before i speek.

my your hook stay active.
[signature]
Don't worry about it! [Wink] I've made the exact same mistake before, but someone corrected me and showed me the difference the same way I did for you. I also made the same mistake with a chub at Jordanelle that I thought was a whitefish.[crazy]
[signature]
i have caught brookies in the middle provo, by midway, so it could have been a brook trout. either way, theyare fun to catch.
[signature]