Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10/29/10 Pineview and East Canyon
Well wen't up to try pineview yesturday at the break of light. Started towards a spot I liked but the water was gone. So wen't around the entire lake to another spot that looked good for fishing. We parked the car but had to walk probably two football fields past the bank just to get to the water.

Casting out as far with my baitcaster and large minnowish rappela I could just see it land on the floor maybe six inches under the water. That was the same for the next three spots we tried.

Finally decided to just go over to East canyon. Got to our favorite spot and it was fast fishing. I caught a personal best trout from East Canyon on my third cast!

But the highlight of this trip was the herd of sheep on the other side of the narrow waterway we were at. Probably hundered fifty of the little buggers walking and playing around.

Then out of no where a HUGE wolf came out and dragged one of the sheep into the water and drowned it.Then after chewing on it for a bit the wolf started to chase more sheep untill we saw four dogs and a rancher come.

Went over and checked out the sheep. Wanted to let the rancher know that his sheep was dead but all I got from him was "sorry no english"

I personally have never seen a wolf this low but it was definitily one. Good day over all
[signature]
WHOOA! You got to see a wolf kill a sheep at East Canyon? Nutty!

Still haven't seen one in the wild. Wonder why he dragged the sheep to the water?
[signature]
BTW, I can't seem to catch a fish at East Canyon to save my life, aside from 6" smallies.. Do you ice fish there, too? Any tips on getting the bigger trout to play?
[signature]
Ya it was amazing to see such a majestic and reclusive animal in the wild.

If you are out looking for bass I am probably not the one to talk too... BUT if you like trout and like catching them fast then I can help .. : )

If you really just wan't a get up and go place to fish for some rainbows for dinner go to East Canyon with Yellow (Corn) powerbait or Florecent Orange powerbait. And use a tiny gold treble hook. I just buy the smallest gold trebles that Walmart carries.

Use just enough to cover the hooks and to make a small worm like tail. Cast and just wait a few seconds.

I usually go up right at day break or a couple of hours before night fall and slaughter them. If I am alone I really would be shocked if I had 1 full minute without hooking a fish.

Was only there for an hour yesturday and caught a few including a nearly 20 incher fatty. Which fought like a shark! Good luck and let me know if you find some fish
[signature]
Seems strange it would drag the sheep into the water. Did you get any pictures? Did the dogs chase the wolf off? You should consider reporting this to the DWR.
[signature]
Couple of real problems here. Most of these Spanish speaking sheepherders in Utah are victims of illegal trafficking. Second East Canyon does supply some domestic water (not just irrigation) so there is the health risk of a 150 sheep contaminating someone's drinking water. Then way below this is what all the welfare ranchers benefiting from the the illegal human trafficking and federal subsidies will complain about is the wolf killing the sheep. Afterall they are paying 5 cents a day for to feed that animal[crazy].
[signature]
Interesting was wonderin why he draged the sheep into the drink what time was it?thanks[cool]
[signature]
This was at around 9-10 am. I have no idea why it chose to drown the sheep. Never heard of that before.

I have pictures of all the sheep and the dead one. Sadly I didn't get any of the wolf as I didn't have my real camera with me. I know for a fact it was a wolf though.

I will call and just let the dwr know about it, being that is a safty risk for many animals and humans alike.

The wolf chased a group of sheep over the hill we were watching them from and then we heard the dogs come and start aggresivily barking. By the time we drove over the ranch-hand was trying to get the dogs and sheep in the correct direction.

Soon as I can find my USB cord I'll download the pictures that i did get though.
[signature]
I wouldn't call the sheep herders victims. Yes it is likely they are illegal, but I've talked to a few who say they work for 2-4 years here, then move back home and retire. They are set for life with the money they made here. It sure isn't pretty living, but I've never talked to one that was Angry about being here.
[signature]
Riverdog, let me educate you a little bit.

First: Most of the sheep herders here in Utah and the other mountain west states are not your so called "victims of illegal trafficking". They are mostly Peruvians with a few Basque still. They are almost always here legally as the ranchers get hire them through a visa program.

Secondly: "Health risk" really?!? I'm sure you're smart enough to realize just how ridiculous this statement sounds. You're not saying the all the deer, elk, and other wildlife that hang around our reservoirs, rivers, and streams that provide our domestic water don't pose a health threat but the sheep do, are you? I'm sure that's not the case because that would just be idiotic. That's why we have water treatment facilities to treat our domestic water before it is delivered to our homes.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
You don't get herds of hundreds of wildlife hanging out on the edge of the reservoir like you do with sheep. The number one risk for a stream to be contaminated with giardia in the Western US is if there is cattle grazing in the watershed. Water treatment facilities are not 100% effective all the time. Bacteria from livestock is fairly easy to remove and takes a major problem at a treatment facility to become a problem. Various parasitic cysts are much harder for a water treatment plant to deal with. If numbers are high enough ( usually from domestic animals but occasional from wildlife) then there can be enough that get through periodically to cause illness in humans. These cyst are resistant to chemical disinfection and are mainly removed by coagulation-filtration process. Usually this removes 2-3 log of cysts ( 99- 99.9%) So again it's a number game and a minor breakdown or hundreds of animals next to the reservoir does sometime result in enough cysts getting through to cause human illness. Millions of American have been sicken in the past 2 decades because of this. The 1993 cryptosporidium outbreak in Milwaukee was linked to cattle. It sickened 400,000 and dozens died. Smaller outbreaks do happen all the time. WET1 nothing personal but you might educate yourself before replying on something you obviously know little about. I suggest starting with googling 1993 Milwaukee Cryptosporidium Outbreak or parasites water treatment systems failure. I deal with problems associated with parasites almost everyday at work for the last 20 years so it's not a new topic for me. I also see victims of human trafficking here in Utah from time to time so I know a bit about it. Here's a few links if you're not familiar with the problem: 32http://www.newwest.net/topic/article/largest_us_human_trafficking_case_tied_to_slaves_in_utah/C619/L619/
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/70007...?s_cid=rss-
[signature]
[cool]WOW! You got to see a wolf kill a sheep at East Canyon.
[signature]
[quote allenhunter20][cool]WOW! You got to see a wolf kill a sheep at East Canyon.
[url "http://satteststudy.com/average-act-score/"]average act score[/url][/quote]

LOL spammer!!!
[signature]
i am sorry if the link caused any issue but i am no spammer and i will keep in mind in future to not to post link its just that i saw other users sharing their blog link in the post i shared mine as well but please don't consider it spam.i have removed the link.
[signature]
wow you replied and removed the link, good on ya, i take back that i called you a spammer
[signature]
Welcome to the site Allen, please take a look at the rules of the site in the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=faq"]FAQ[/url]. Because new members commonly come on BFT and post links for no other reason than to advertise, a rule was put in place that new members can not post links until they have 15 post. You are allowed to post a link to your blog after you have 15 post but please understand that you can not use you blog to advertise.
WH2
[signature]
dont worry im on point sir!
[signature]
You Da Man Zak [cool].
[signature]

THANK YOU WET1 for correcting riverdog about his post. My Dad owned sheep for many years and not once was there a illegal, also they were never treated badly. Great pay and benefits with food, water and shelter. Which is all they needed and wanted. They all loved there jobs and was appreciative to be able to work and do what they loved doing. Second I am sure which ever rancher it was that had the sheep near the water is legally doing so and not contaminating ANYTHING. Otherwise there would of been problems year and years ago since this has been happening since i was a child.
[signature]
The victims of trafficking in Utah agriculture and other areas does seem to be a growing problem in the last 5-10 years or so. So I'm not saying it's always been the problem it is today or that was the case with your dad. BYU has recently stated having conferences about the problem recognizing it is a growing problem here in Utah. There last conference was last month or I'd suggest you attend to learn about the extent of the current problem. Remember the cryptosporidium outbreak in salt lake county a few years ago. The little kids spread it in swimming pools. They got it first from treated water that was contaminated by livestock. This is a long term problem that intermittently flares up. I don't think you have an open enough mind that you actually read any of my links or did the google searches I suggested but just in case a few want to understand the problem here's a link to county data on crypto for the last few years.
http://health.utah.gov/epi/diseases/crypto/
If you click on the 2010 crypto surveillance the file will show data for the last 4 years. Weber-Morgan Health Districts where East Creek Reservoir is shows 148 cases in the last 4 years. And most cases of illness don't see a doctor or even if they do don't get diagnosed so the true number is many times higher.
[signature]