Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wax Your Sled
Something you can do with this heat is get a good coat of wax on your ice sleds. Set your sled out in the sun upside down and let it get good and hot. Then take some Paraffin wax and rub it on your sled. The heat of the sled will melt the wax and give you a nice coat in no time at all.
[signature]
I posted this on the Idaho board but just a thought for future competitions:

I would really enjoy if Utah, Idaho and Wyoming all combined their tournaments for one big multi state ice fishing tournament. Reduce the number of panfish to 2 and then not allow musky or pike as there aren't enough lakes to target them to make it fair to certain BFT members who don't live anywhere near a musky water. But keep macs and hybrids as their are enough lakes for most members to get to these waters with a 2 hour drive. I can only imagine an ice fishing contest with 100 members over three states and being able to count fish from Fish Lake, Strawberry, Flaming Gorge, Henry's Lake, Jackson Lake, PaliSades, Scofield, Bear Lake, etc.

I was considering not entering the Utah competition this year because I enjoy traveling fishing other states waters too much and hate feeling the pressure to focus on Utah waters. Add Idaho and Wyoming waters to list (and maybe Colorado) and we have our selves a very fun and diverse competition. I do think some people cheat (I know they did on another competition on a different site) and others fish 2-4 times per week which is impossible to keep up with, but keeping the prizes smaller (equipment or small gift cards) or to donations to charity in your name, would be best. TO me, it is all about the competition and less about the prizes and I really enjoy seeing the big fish that others catch.
[signature]
Hey bud, wait a minute. First you say that we should not allow musky or pike because there aren't many lakes to target them because "certain" BFT members don't live anywhere near a musky water. Then you propose to open up the Challenge to cover three or four states? Is travel an issue here or not? [Wink]

What is your reasoning for limiting the panfish to two. Is it because "certain" BFT members don't live anywhere near a water that they could possibly come up with three panfish species? Utah Lake, in the center of the state has them all.

I understand why you're hesitant to enter the Challenge this year. If you get serious about it, It does influence where you fish. I have some waters that I would icefish more if I wasn't in the Challenge, but then there would be waters that I wouldn't fish at all if I wasn't in the Challenge.

I did fish at least twice a week last winter. It was great.

I like the rules the way they are. Time to get geared up.
[signature]
Im just saying if we open it up to Wyoming and Idaho, I don't know if they have any Pike or Musky in those states and I know that three different species of panfish would be difficult for anglers in Idaho and Wyoming. I am fine with the way the rules are just for Utah (even though I can't figure out how to catch pike/musky through the ice - mostly because I don't want to devote the time to do it).

I think the current format discourages many anglers from joining the competition because it takes fishing several times per week all over the state to really compete. I would propose simplifying the tournament to make it more fun for the average angler and to increase participation:

2 panfish (perch, crappie, bluegill, etc.) - instead of 3
1 bass or walleye (LM,SM, white) - takes the place of the third panfish
5 of any species but only 1 can be musky, pike or mack, and you can have up to 2 of any of the other species count (brown, tiger, bow, cutt, splake, etc). Every year the winner catches a large mack and or pike/musky. SO even if anglers tear up with huge cutts, bows, tiger trout or browns, they are quickly surpassed by one large mack and pike/musky. Only allowing one of these bigger species would at least allow the hardcore trout ice fishermen to compete.

This would allow anglers to compete without having to travel all over the state chasing fish that they don't know how to fish for.

What fun will the competition be if only 5 people sign up and only 2 have the time, money and energy to fish 3 times per week all over the state?

I enjoy ice fishing in Idaho and Wyoming and last year found myself staying in Utah for the competition rather than fishing where I actually want to fish. Many other members expressed the same behavior last year. That is why I suggested adding Idaho and Wyoming.

Just thoughts. Either way, I have definitely had fun in the past competitions.
[signature]
Some things to think about. I just started a new thread for people to post ideas for this year. Post up your ideas again there and see what people think.
[signature]