Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soft water at Salmon Dam
Since the blades on my ice auger are dull and my new ones aren't here yet I thought I would take a ride this morning just for the heck of it and SURPRISE! open water in Greys, Big Sandy and Norton. Fished Big Sandy and caught a nice limit of trout[fishin]
[signature]
Cool. How was the size? Where are the pics?
[signature]
I have pictures on my phone- just have to get one of those mini sd cards and adapters to put on computer. They ranged from 14-19 inches, real silvery colored and delicious red meat. I like to keep ice out fish for the smoker, it's about the only time I will ever keep a full limit at once just so I can smoke em up
[signature]
Thanks for th report. I was wondering how much open water there was there. Might need to try out my new super fat cat and see how it feels.
[signature]
I'll bet it will feel COOOOOLD!
[signature]
Yes it probably would but if a walleye came to play I probably wouldn't care.
[signature]
Just send them as a picture message to your email address.
[signature]
Here they are, ranged from 14-18 inches
[signature]
Nice healthy fish! Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Sorry, but I have never been there. Where are Grey, Big Sandy and Norton? Are they near the dam? It might be too much of a trip for me right now, but I have got to get my pontoon out and wet some of the 100's of flies I have been tying the last 2 months.
[signature]
After you pass Rogerson, going south, there will be signs along the highway on the right side of the road marking the turn off to them.
[signature]
Truchas, instead of turning at Rogerson to go to the dam area stay on highway 93 and go past Rogerson towards Jackpot about 5 or 6 miles or so and you will see an access sign on the west side of the road for Greys landing. The road for Big Sand Bay will turn south off that road about 3/4 mile west. To get to Norton Bay stay on highway 93 past the Greys turn off about 3 more miles and there will be an access sign on the west side of road for Norton. Search previous topics on this forum as there has been a map of the reservoir posted before.
[signature]
Hey thanks you guys, that helps a lot.
[signature]
Great pics. Headed there this weekend. Any tips, and have you been back? ?Thought about fishing one the way down to jackpot saturday morning and then fishing again sunday morning. Kind of a long drive from kuna just for a day of fishing, but with the bass boat, walleye are worth it later in the year. Thanks for the pics and the tips.
[signature]
How much open water is the exactly enough to launch a boat??????
[signature]
As of last Saturday there was ice at the main baot ramp down to about whisky slew. Now it looked like it could break up any time but it hadn't yet as of last Saturday.

If you don't need a ramp you may be able to launch at Grey's landing.
[signature]
yeah we always launch at greys i might just have to take a drive out there and have a look
[signature]
Let us know if you do. I would like to know how far back the water is toward the back waters area. Ron
[signature]
You can definately launch at Greys or Big Sand Bay. A guy I work with said this past weekend there was no ice at all on the reservoir between Greys and Goose island but there starts to be a little the further north you go. If the weather cooperates I will be boating this weekend[cool]
[signature]
Thanks Scott. Is there water in the back water area? Ron
[signature]