Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your favorite no tell-um fishing hole?
What do you like about your favorite no tell-um hole? Share a short few words about your experience. One memorable one of mine is in the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho. The fishing hole is in a medium size "crick" or creek. The stream comes plunging down a series of steep riffles and into a beaver pond. It is loaded with "big" brookies (8 inchers in this case). If I cast a hook with a pinch of worm and a small sinker for weight where the water curves around a sharp bend, and than slowly reel the bait in--tap! tap! tap! and its another brookie on!
For two to three hours my son and I hooked brookie after brookie. We threw alot back and kept enough for a nice fish fry. That was my son's first brookie fishing experience both catching and eating them. He fell in love with the wonderful eastern brook trout.

DeeCee [fishin] [Smile]
[signature]
Mine is in the windrivers out of elkheart park. It requires a 12 mile hike then you go off trail down a shale shoot. The drop is about a mile long and drops over 1,000 vertical feet. That is where you get started. The hike from here is boulder scramble along a creek between two lakes.

The fishing is in deep pools between little waterfalls. The fish aren't huge but they are starving and willing to take anything that hits the water. You can see them come up all the way from the bottom to smack dry flies. It is truly spectacular and indescribable. I have been down there 8 times. My goal is to stay in good enough shape so that I can take each of my boys at least one time.

Here is a link...

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=527679;search_string=Windrivers;#527679"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=527679;search_string=Windrivers;#527679[/url]

Windriver
[signature]
This winter I had a whole lake to myself since it froze, sorry about the no posts. The fishing was so good I thought that I was doing something illegal! I kept looking at the regs to make sure. There were never signs of anyone having been there or fishing there until two weeks ago. The fish have all been pink fat and healthy, a lot of 16" fish, but enough 18" to 20" fish to keep it interesting. Sadly enough someone else figured it out and told their friends and thats all it took. Not only does the fishing suck, but so does the parking. Oh and by the way I only kept what I wanted to eat that week, usually two or three and never froze any. On my way off the lake last week I did stop and talk to some people and they mentioned that their freezer was full of fish, kinda made me sick, but I guess since they have a license they are entitled to six fish a day.
[signature]
"On my way off the lake last week I did stop and talk to some people and they mentioned that their freezer was full of fish, kinda made me sick, but I guess since they have a license they are entitled to six fish a day. "

Sounds to me like they're breaking the law. You aren't allowed to stockpile more than what you're allowed on-stream, if I'm not mistaken.
[signature]
Position limit ends at your front door . Curt G.
[signature]
Are we going down this road again? [mad] Some people like to eat fish, I try and keep a freezer full of fish because I love to eat fish! If it's done within the law and nothing is being wasted what's the problem?
[signature]
No problem. Possession limit does end at the door to your residence. A freezer full of non-anadromous fish is legal. A quote on this board from the F&G verified that code.
[signature]
Back on topic, some of my favorite "no tell-um" fishing holes are brookie beaver ponds as well. I love to take tiny dries and work my way up from pond to pond to pond! [Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
[laugh] Windriver, that's a gorgeous photo of a lake in the Windriver Mountains of Wyoming! My favorite place to fish is in the alpine lakes area of the Sawtooths and White Cloud Mountains of Idaho. Would love to explore and fish the Windrivers in Wyoming if I had the time.

DeeCee [fishin]
[signature]
That's a 1+ MMDon.

DeeCee [fishin]
[signature]
My favorite fishing holes are little creeks and high mountain lakes. None of which can handle any pressure so I can't say where. That is why they are secret, not because I don't like to share, also the fishing in them changes from year to year. Good on some trips, not so hot on others.

I like researching maps and finding little hard to reach areas that few others want to try and get to. Many don't pan out very well, actually most don't!

This last year I spent more time in the Southeastern Idaho-Western Wyoming area. I looked at a lot of creeks that have been completely dewatered, by irrigation needs. Their upper sections are small, brushy, short, and very hard to get to. Sometimes you have to hike over public land from the side or request permission to get into the upper areas. It has been a great adventure!

Here is a post of one of my favorite "successful finds".

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ost=619774
[signature]
I am somewhat in agreement with Cpierce on this one, not as to region, but the kind of place. My favorite fishing hole is not necessarily a specific place, but a type of place. Its the one I had to research and take some extra effort to get into. I try to find a couple of these a year and time doesn't usually permit repeat visits, there are so many other places to find and try. This doesn't include my regular haunts. My regulars are just warmups for the "off the beaten path" water. Since this kind of water usually doesn't get a lot of pressure, if there are fish there, then they are frequently very accomodating to a fly. It probably doesn't take as much fishing talent to catch fish in some of the places I like to get into - the fish can be ready and willing - but then I'm not a talented fisherman! Yes, I've been skunked on many a trek, but I prefer the days I've had to hike into a place just to get skunked, than my 20+ fish days on frequently stocked waters (I like those too, just not as much). My favorites are the hard to get to and I catch fish. I like to look on the satellite views for water that I can't initially identify on a map and then research it out to see if it is fishable. If it looks like it might be, it goes on my list. I only hope retirement comes before my body wears out so I can explore more of the water that is currently outside of my time constraints. So much water out there and so little time................
[signature]
Well, I will go with my favorite kind of spot. If I had to pick just one spot to go it would be a lake in Minnesota (or somewhere similar) where you can see the weeds and cabbage growing up from the bottom and fishing in the weeds there. Pretty cool seeing a big Pike come flying out and nail your lure or feeling the bites and pulling up who knows what, crappie, perch, bluegill, pike, bass or whatever. All good fish. Still waiting for that muskie.
Around here it is hard to beat a small stream or beaver pond with a dry fly. I can think of a few off the top of my head, some I go back to, some I have always meant to fish again.
BUT, just out in the middle of the lake in the sunshine has just got to top anything, catching or not.
Geez, does that mean the winters are jiust plain to long here anymore it seems?. Is the cabin fever really starting to kick in or what.....
[signature]
Yeah Lucabrasi the winters are too long, even for us natives and cabin fever is setting in pretty hard! I can tell by your words that you were waxing poetic and thinking back quite a few years ago to that special somewhere back in Minnesota. I have been back to the Minneapolis, Minn. area by plane and it sure looked like there was alot of water in the area from the air. When there is water, I think of fish.

DeeCee[fishin]
[signature]
I have no problem telling you my old fishing holes, because in many respects they don't excist any more. I loved fishing the Ovid Creek in the Bear Lake Valley as a kid. I would use Rooster Tails and nail big Bonneville Cutts on opening day. I loved it! But with drought and water rights/abuse it is gone! Yes a few flooding years may get things going again, and there are probably some good brook trout fishing still there. Usually when it floods now it just is full of carp, but those are fun memories to running after those ugly buggers with a pitchfork.

OvidCreek
[signature]
Yeah I hear ya. As a boy members of my family and I would fish a stream just a few miles north of MaCammon, Idaho called Harkness creek for its Yellowstone cutthroats. Several years ago I heard through the grapevine that the stream is now lined with homes and the fishing is no good anymore. [frown]

DeeCee [fishin]
[signature]