Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the perch back? Rockport 03-05-11
Wiperslayer and I hit the Rock yesterday from 7:30am to 1pm. We walked out from the camping area and fished in the center of the lake. Started catching perch and trout right a way and before we left we had caught and released 70 or more. 14 were perch that ranged in size from 6" to just over 11. The most common size was 9" but there were a few 10 inchers and that one 11. We were very surprised, to say the least, because there have been so few reports about RP and perch this year but I'm glad to see they are making a come back with a few year classes showing up in our catch. Without a doubt it was my best day on the ice this year, at least for trout and perch. There were an
unbelievable number of people there, I stopped counting at 300 people but I'm sure there were many more, I'm surprised no one else has posted a report. Many many times we had two fish on at the same time as the fish came through in waves, the finders screen would turn black from so many fish. I'm not sure if we were on the river channel or what but it was truly amazing.
[signature]
Wow we chased them all day a few week's back but no luck on the perch. but my buddy hit a 12 inch perch the week before that. I hope to have a day like that @ the rock! How deep was the water if you dont mind telling me? Hope to see you out there!
[signature]
I think most of the people fishing up there were too deep but I don't want to give an exact depth. Lets just say we were fishing the upper half of the lake[Wink].
[signature]
Hey i understand!!!!! but thank you for the tip. This is my first ice year at the rock and would love to get into the perch!!! fish on good buddy!
[signature]
I managed to pull 3 perch out of there last wednesday. I didnt have a day like you guys did!! I think ill have to go try it again. I think I may know about where you were.
[signature]
Thanks for the good report. Been awhile since I heard of any success at Rockport on the perch. What were the ice and snow conditions on the surface? Was at Pineview Saturday and there was slush just under the snow.
[signature]
[quote Ono]What were the ice and snow conditions on the surface? Was at Pineview Saturday and there was slush just under the snow.[/quote]
It was about the same conditions at the Rock, everything was frozen when we arrived but the snow on top had thawed by the time we left at 1pm. It was still easy access on and off the ice, with solid ice right up to the shore. I guess I forgot to post the pics of the fish, so here are a couple.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply on the ice/snow/slush conditions. That was a nice jumbo perch you got. I'll probably try Rockport this coming weekend if i don't have to work. Thanks again, hope to see you out there. Ono
[signature]
I was also at the Rock on Sat. Wow, I have never seen so many people on the Ice. We were a couple hundred yards out from the boat ramp. Was there from 9am-12pm. We iced 25-30 nice trout from 12-18 inches. We also found the right depth. Most around us were fishing the bottom with little sucess. There was maybe a inch of snow on the ice.
[signature]
[cool]In March, that is the best place to be on the lake - the Southern 3rd of the lake towards the inlet. The fish just always school up down there this time of year. I am reminded of a time when CBR and I fished there about 5 years ago and we each caught well over 100 fish. That was my most succesful day of fishing ever... About half 'bows and half perch. I think because it's shallower down there the perch are all staging up to spawn down there and the 'bows possibly too, although I'm not sure what time of year the 'bows spawn...
[signature]
I think you are right because a few of the bow males were squirting their milt when we caught them.
[signature]