Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 3/13/2011
Hit willard for a few hours sunday morning. Not a great day but didnt get skunked either. I caught the first two (19, 19 1/2") pitching a white gulp alive curly tail first thing in the morning. My reaction must be slow from the winter cause I missed three tug and pulls before I hooked the other two[crazy]. Was spending more time tying jigs than fishing, lost 16 jigs in the course of about 2 hours. After the sun came up the fish moved a little deeper. Caught the third (21") about 15 feet deep on a green and black spin n glow crawler harness being pulled at .5 mph gps. I also missed two on the harness, again blaming the damn long winter! All the fish were male and milking. With the spawn upon us I ask that everone release the females at least until the spawn is over! Keep the males for the dinner plate[Wink].
[signature]
Nice catch Mike. Your killin me catchen them early eyes. I sent you a pm a while back and never heard from ya. I am getting my boat out this week and will for sure be headed to Willard a few times before the bugs get too bad. Maybe I'll see ya out there.[fishon]. Thanks for the report buddy. Ps my dogs miss your wam comfortable bed. I think suzie needs some TLC[Tongue]
[signature]
Wow - you've got beautiful eye's (sounds like a come-on line!)

Curious if you launched from the S or N end? Catchm inside or outside the harbor? But - fully understand if you don't want to say.

When do the "shut off" the inlet to the spring spawn? or maybe they have already?
And what are the distinguishing features that differentiate the females from the males (other than the milk squirting all over!)
Thanks for the post - looks like a nice set there.

Walleye's are definitely on my hit-list for this year.
I think the inlet is already shut down, not sure. Check the proc... its listed in there. I did launch out of the south marina but didnt fish it. I usually through out the year have a cut off of about 20" to keep em. Any bigger than that and the odds are good that theyre female. The only reason I kept those fish is because they are milking and could definately tell theyre male. The most productive females are between 3-6 pounds, so they are the most critical to release year round. I have found walleye have the best meat at around 17 to 20" anyway. Pop six of em that size and you have 2-4 meals easy. There are other lakes in the region that are in good shape and you can keep 3 plus pound fish and not do any damage. But willard is missing about 2-3 years of age class right now. Thats the reason most of the walleye people caught last year were 18+ inches, most the others are under 12". It will get better in the next two to three years with the high water. Untill then, I will personaly only keep 2 a week. I can tough it out with planted wiper till the walleye population is good again.
[signature]
Nice fish
Selective harvest is a good practice

Let the girls dump their eggs
[signature]
Wow Mike, those are some beautiful words of wisdom. I couldn't have said it any better myself. I hope all you guys who fish for walleye, (or want to get started) take a serious look at that post and always remember it. I absoluetly love fishing for walleye (and love eating them too), but anymore (at my backyard fishery) it's getting to be alot like urinating into a good stiff breeze. And I believe it's due to lack of a selective harvest like you described here. I am a Smithfield native, and currently live in Logan, and I'm not aware of any walleye fisheries in my reasonable driving distance that are stocked adequately enough to handle the keep-every-one-you-catch mentality that I see everyone practicing (including alot of self-proclaimed selective harvesters).

My wife and I can make a heck of a walleye dinner off of a pair of 14 inchers. But I'm not so sure that a couple of well-trimmed wiper fillets isn't just as good or better than walleye meat. . .
[signature]
Nice mike!
[signature]
It only takes one fish to flavor up a pot of walleye chowder. I got an awesome recipe if anyone wants it. Even those who dislike fish will be begging for another bowl!
[signature]
Although I try hard I have a hard time consistently catching walleye and would love a copy of your chowder recipe. Fell free to PM it to me.
Thanks, Shane
[signature]
I would also like that recipe if you could also PM it ,would be appreciated ,now to go get some wallys !!!!!!!
[signature]
Way to go Mike!!! I'm sure your dad is just a bit envious!
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Yeah, he is. You should give him a call Tod, he hacked his thumb off with the table saw yesterday! Well, part of it anyway.[pirate] Put a damper on his early season fishing... just as he said the ice was breakin up on Boysen two days ago[crazy].
[signature]
Beware the 'eyes of March.
[signature]
Boysen is breaking up already ?
[signature]
Thats what he said a couple of days ago. He was told they are starting to release a ton of water into it, which should help speed things along.
[signature]
Here is that Walleye Chowder recipe in a video. It's kinda long but detailed enough to get it right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMpdTGX5G3Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMpdTGX5G3Y
[signature]
"give him a call Tod, he hacked his thumb off with the table saw yesterday! Well, part of it anyway.[pirate] Put a damper on his early season fishing..."

OUCH!, I'm sure the old fart will figure out some way to get at those eyes even with a bad thumb (Hope he's not reading this)[Wink]
[signature]
Hey Mike, that is exactly the same thing that happened to my Dad last winter. I told Roger all about it and showed him the pictures. You'd have thought it would have made an impression. Those table saws are dangerous!~[pirate]

I'll give him a call this week and see how he's doing. My dad sliced his from the tip to the first knockle just about down the middle. Left a big gap (kerf). It took about 3 months for it to heal up for him and he still doesn't have full use and feeling!
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
I told him to run a 6ft and a 12ft rod off the same side of the boat to pull his bouncers[sly]. We'll just have to see if abu garcia can retrofit a thumb release on a baitcaster to a index or pinky.... or middle finger (that what im gonna get when he reads this!)[cool]
[signature]
Looks like a good chance to take him fishing and be the one who catches the most fish on the boat. [shocked]. I'm sure human nature will find a way. Hope it heals up soon or he may have to use one of those old retractable fly fishing rod/reel and fish some more of those nice rivers out there that way.
[signature]