Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first LM brag
Hey!

Finally got a big guy, see attach.! Caught at Mantua.

[Smile][crazy]Leaky
Big! That's an appetizer~[Wink]
[signature]
fishfather,

Oh well, it's big to me. Wish I could fish your spots!

[Sad][Smile]Leaky
[cool] Nice one. I usually let them get a lil bigger before I consider keepin them. But that one should make a couple nice fillets.[Smile]
[signature]
Where you located Leaky? And I agree. Alot of us are catch and release folks. If I get a huge bass I may be tempted to eat it though. [Wink]

These shorefishermen where I live tend to keep these little 12" bay bass, etc and I always get mad [mad]
[signature]
[mad] aaaaaaaarrrrgggg. I know what you mean. I turned back some 13lb and 14lb LMB because I was trying for the big one in the lake. They measured respectively 28 and 29". But they were not the Big One that I was after.
[signature]
Hey Leaky i think i would clean and cook it before eating it. Anyway way to go.

LIVE TO FISH
[signature]
[cool] Hey Leaky,

That size is good smoked also. Just make sure you light up the right end of it and don't inhale too much. hee hee. Hey.......Nice catch partner.
[signature]
How are you guys about cleaning fish before transporting?

I see alot of pics of fish and I know my friends do it too but they bring the fish home uncleaned and whole after they have been in a bag all afternoon in the sun.

Me personally I keep my catch alive in a net until I touch shore. Then I clean it immediatley and pack the fish on ice to keep it fresh( If I keep it at all )

You know how barricuda bend when you put them in the bag on the boat after sitting in the sun all day? ( I call them barricuda boomrangs )[sly] Alot of times that meat is ruined in the bent area.

I have found by keeping them alive as long as possible then packing them on ice keeps the meat the freshiest. Or even putting the fish on ice after catching.

Yep big cooler full of ice in back of truck for after fishing in case I catch some big bass or halibut [cool]

Not a new idea but a good one.[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Hey leaky,[/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Looks like you are going to shushi! Where is the sauce?[/size][/font][sly]
[signature]
[cool]For the benefit of you California snobs, let me 'splain somtin. My man Leaky wuz fishin' in a pond that has hard water a good part of the year, and a lot of fishing pressure all year. The fish in that small lake usually do not grow very large. twelve inchers are rare. His catch was a goodun.

Most of the waters in Utah have restrictions on keeping bass over 12". That lake does not. So, if you wanna keep a larger bass, that is one of the few options. The fish and game department is trying to maintain the lake as a trophy fishery for Kamloops rainbows, so they don't care much about the bass.

It is a pretty little lake, set in amongst some Utah hills. There is often other wildlife, like deer, pheasants, etc. If you look real hard (or not so hard) you can find some lovely rattlesnakes too. Leaky likes those.

I think you got a nice bass there, Leaky my man. Did Bud net it for you?

Oh yeah, did you get any big bluegills?
[signature]
Dude,

Yep, kept 3 gills. Released a lot of bass and gills, still good fishing. What made the big guy even more fun is as you know the lake is full of moss and weeds and he headed right to em. Using 6# test which made it challenging! No snakes this trip. Lost another big un, broke off in the weeds. I know, use heavier line, but you know I enjoy the finess stuff. Had to leave Bud at home since he was feeling under the weather. He's ok, must have eaten something bad. He still hasn't learned to net yet. Still uses his mouth! Any hope for him?

Bet you're getting tired of coming to my defense! I appreciate it but no need on my account. Have to admitt to an inherint stubborness even though I know what will happen. Probably shouldn't have shown him on a dinner plate but subconsciously, maybe, I was again trying to air another point of view. As long as it has some educational value with the resuting responses, hopefully with positive results, why not? Too old, too stubborn, need to moderate? Too old to change?? Not realy!!!

[Smile][Smile] [crazy][crazy]Leaky
That WAS a breeder.
[signature]
Nice fish Leaky! I was watching Doug Miller saturday night and they had a pic of a LMB that was around the size you landed. I'm kicking myself for not exploring Mantua more when I lived up in Logan. Now I'm in Provo and wishing I lived further north. On the other hand, I do live close to some decent fishing if the water will just stay in the lake and reservoirs!

Keep up the good work!

ES
[signature]