Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Pleasures
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Bait_Caster and I met up early this morning for a little fishing trip on Pineview. We had big hopes of getting a muski. We launched at about 7 AM and trolled the eastern points and edges hoping for the big one. No luck ... never even got a bite on anything. After a couple hours of nothing, and not wanting to get skunked, we decided to try for some smallies down in the narrows. I was quite certain that we could pick up some smallies down there on some small perch pattern Rapalas. We did pick up about six SM bass each. I am always surprised how those little fellas fight.

But it was down there in the narrows, pulling a small #5 perch pattern jointed Rapala, that I got my surprise of the day . . . . . . a nice big 43 inch tiger! The old boy put up a nice fight and got my adrenaline pumping pretty darn good. He didn't do any tail walking this time but they sure are magnificent to watch coming in towards the boat.

We hooked him in about 15 feet of edge water trolling about 3.5 mph.

I have to tell ya, after we snapped some pics we got him back into the water, he just didn't want to come back to life much. I was pretty worried that he was going to have to come home for dinner. But after LOTS of re-oxygenating him, he finely headed for the dark deep murky bottom. We kept trolling around that area and the whole narrows area a lot to make sure he didn't come back up belly up some where ... never seen him again.

Water temps are about 71 degrees and falling. Skies were overcast and you couldn't ask for a nicer day of fishing than today.

Bait_Caster is my younger brother. He and I really enjoy getting out together fishing. I mentioned to him "Wouldn't it be great if dad was still around and could go out with us on times like this?" BC just grinned and said, "Oh, he was here all right ... who do you think sent that muskie your way?"

The attached picture #25 could use a good caption. Anyone want to suggest one? "_____________". [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Here is BC with one of the many SMB in the Narrows of Pineview:[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][Image: NAYL2492CustomImage0563557.jpg]
[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]The muskie that made my day:[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][Image: NAYL2492CustomImage0546007.jpg][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]This pic needs a caption:[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][Image: NAYL2492CustomImage0555028.jpg][/size][/font]
[signature]
[Smile][font "Arial"][red][size 2] Hey Coot, Now you've got my adrinaline pumping, Please please. Haha[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Nice pic and muskie . Thanks for posting .
[signature]
Coot,

"Whatya think of this one, Dad?"
[signature]
Way to go OldCoot! Going small worked again. The fall bite is showing signs of turning on. Did you mean you where fishing 15' from the shore or in 15' of water?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]MGB,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I meant 15 feet of water. Good point. But, as you know, in the narrows, that's about 15 feet from shore too.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Two thoughts come to mind for a caption for #25, First" Thanks Dad, I needed this one", Second" Lord, thanks for this awesome fish". Great looking fish Old Coot, what was the time of day when you caught it? WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]WH2,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Caught him around 9:30 A.M.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Nice fish! It was worth waitng for to see the pictures. Hey, how is the boat upgrade and new motor working out?[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]BLM,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I just LOVE my new motor and added upgrades to my little tin tub. It's nice when I think "I'd like to be way over there" and then just go there rather than spending 45 minutes putt putting along while pressious fishing time goes by. Two years ago, I took the old 6 horse up on the Yellowstone. It took 4.5 hours to get back into the area where we wanted to fish! We are headed there again in two weeks and I suspect that an hour - tops - will all we will need. Even though I can go a lot faster now (23 mph tops) I won't be racing any of you big boat guys just yet.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]The navigation lights make it nice to not have to wory about getting a ticket coming into the docks late. I've yet to need the accessory plug and new bilge pump but I'm ready when the time comes. Now if I could just find a good way to mout a verticle rod holder.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I'm REALLY looking forward to winter fishing at Bear Lake especially now that my boat is a little more qualified for it.[/size][/font]
[signature]
hey coot way to go!!!! looks like you got it in one of my spots. nice to see you hook into one. I'm starting to fill better may we can get out and I'll show you a few more tricks. I still have lots that I didnt give in the class or the hands on class. now is the time that the muskies should turn on with it going to get a little cooler next week look out. this time of year I fish with my biggest lures but you showed that they will still take small. nice fish and keep it up.
[signature]
Hey MGB, is the port ramp(west side) the only one that is open? Anyone else

know? WH2
[signature]
hey WH i was fishing the narrows from the bank thursday and saw several boats crossing over the dam heading for the west ramp so at this time i would assume its open at this time
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]For another week or so, you will be able to cross over the dam to get to the west (port) ramp. In about a week, they are going to close traffic over the dam between the hours of 9 AM to 5 PM weekdays. So, unless you plan to arrive early and stay all day, you may want to consider driving into Huntsville and launching at Cemetary Point.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Cemetery point ramp and the west ramp are open. I have not launched from the cemetery ramp for quite awhile so I am not sure of the conditions. There is no problem lanching from the port ramp.
[signature]
Hey Coot congrats on the big boy!!! I still need to make it up there to catch one, OEJ and I are planning on it though. I am truely a believer of dads watching from above!!![cool] My late father helped push my first elk my way last year, I know it had to be him!!!
[signature]
Thanks for the info guys, Fishcrazy and I are going to give it a try this coming Friday and were hoping to launch from the ramp at cemetery point. With the water droping so fast I did not want to waste our time going there if the ramp isn't in the water. Does anyone know the phone number there? WH2
[signature]
Actually the water is starting to rise now . It hit a low on august 30 and has come up 4 " since then . Not sure of phone number for Bluffs marina / Cemetery Point .
[signature]
I guess water useage is slowing down because of the rain we have been getting lately. Secondary water usually doesn't turn off until Oct. but I think last year they stopped the 15th of Sept. I'll see if Bluffs marina is listed in the phone book or I guess I could pay for an "INFO call". WH2
[signature]
Nice Tiger! Isn't It funny how they always come when you least expect it[laugh]. I've been fishing the narrows quite a bit in the late afternoons and evinings. When it begins to get dark I always see at least one muskie finning the surface. I always manage to spook him with my lure but It has to be a good sign. Not sure why they do this.
[signature]