Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 4/2/11
I decided to get my toon out and hit willard today.. I fished the no. marina from 930-130 & only landed 3 crappies.. I was using a white curley tail pink headed jig.. I was jigging along the slips on the south side.. I only seen 1 other guy catch a fish.. The crappies are nice and fat but not in yet.. The water temp was 42.. I think it needs to be between 54 & 56 to get the spawn going.. Rite ??
P.S all fish were released because they looked to be full off eggs...
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
I was there 4-1 for an all dayer. I didn't see a crappie caught in the north or South Marina. I did manage an Eye though. Keep posting on those Crappie!
[signature]
My bro inlaw said he landed 1 eye last night.. will do....
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
Me and my son fished the north marina Sat for about two hours...2-4pm. Didn't get a peep out of anything. We timed it bad....that was when the cold front blew through...try again soon.
[signature]
My wife and I hit it from the South Marina, same time frame. [pirate] We wanted to get a much earlier start, but when you live in Logan and your boat is in Smithfield, it takes a while til the lines get wet. The highlight of the trip was finally meeting Wiperhunter and Reelfast. Great couple of gents, as I had already suspected.

We didn't get much fishing in before things got real nasty. It was calm as could be, and then all of a sudden I could hear this noise. I looked out to the west and I could see the wind and the whitecaps coming. We immediately reeled 'em up and made a b-line for the marina. We were about halfway into freeway bay and I'm glad we didn't have to go any further.

About halfway from the feedlot to the marina entrance, one poor family had pulled their boat up to the dike to evacuate. The wife and kids were standing on top of the dike, but Pops was having a heck of a time hanging onto that boat. A couple nice guys in a nice Trophy boat went out to help, but came back empty handed. After we got our boat loaded up, the family came riding back into the marina in DWR trucks. Looked like they all made it out safe (thank goodness), but I'm afraid they were driving home without their boat. [frown]

Another example of how you can never play it too safe on Willard Bay.
[signature]
That,s to bad and glad the family made it out safe.

Willard with a strong north wind is a bad combination. Been there done that. My boat can handle some pretty big swells but for some reason they got really far apart that day and it was a rough ride to the north marina. a small boat doesn't stand a chance and it is better to beach it then to get swallowed up by them big waves.
[signature]
that was us ,we didn't even know they were out there until we got back and seen the fish and game and the people wet up to their necks and a empty boat trailer. got pretty nasty out there.
[signature]