Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pic from Heise area 5/25
It maybe awhile before this is fishable [img]../../../images/gforum/frown.gif[/img]
[signature]
I bet it will be the end of July before the river is at a good level to float [frown]
Jim
[signature]
but when it does come down and the big bugs come out there is gonna be lots of holding water for big fish in that section. gonna be fun to adventure this july.
[signature]
Already have plans to be there the last week of July.

But I still can't believe it looks that bad right now.
[signature]
Nasty right now and that is after nearly 6k feet have been taken out at the canals, should see it in the canyon.......

Rode the hills above there last night on bikes......we got a long way to go. Usually dont hit snow till almost 7500 feet this time of year. At 600 feet there was still 2 to 3 feet of snow in places. Im guessing 3 wknd in june will be the first good weekend on there.
[signature]
Bmarsh-

I'm not very familiar with the area, but my family was thinking about hiking the PaliSades Creek trail up to Lower (maybe Upper) PaliSades Lake. By the sound of it though, there is still of ton of snow up there. Is that what I'm understanding? Sounds like we may need to bag the hiking idea for another few weeks.
[signature]
Im not too sure what the lakes trails are like, one of the few hikes in the area that I haven't been. If I had to guess...... I would say its a pipe dream to get into there right now. And if you did there is prob so much run off that any fishing would be out of the question. But that is just my opinion.

Im struggling to come up with some where for the weekend myself, got 2 lakes and a small creek in mind. Will most likely end up at the fist fight on henrys for the opener.
[signature]
I hiked into the paliSades lakes several years ago around the 2nd week in June and ended up climbing the hill at the forest service cabin past the lower lake d/t everything lower was a march. When we got to the upper lake the water was up over the trail in several spots. That winter and spring weren't nearly as wet as this year. I would recommend putting that off for while. For some perspective I checked out Kelly Canyon the other day and there is snow past the 4th chair lift (enough to ski on) and now I hear there is a 20 ft deep trench about 15 ft across in the parking lot from runoff. I don't think much is going to be very open for a while unless you want to hike on snow that may wash away at any second.
[signature]
Kelly Canyon Parking Lot Runoff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJsSWDvPbhE
[signature]
The truly incredible part is that that whole gorge from runoff has occurred in the last 2 days! Imagine what it will do by end of the week.
[signature]
HOLY COW!!!!
[signature]
wow both the pic and the video is unreal [shocked]
[signature]
Here are a couple more pictures of the Heise area from today, plus the Kelly's parking lot. And since I was in the area the first pic is from the Ririe boat ramp. Whole reservoir appears to be chocolate milk at the moment and as full as I've seen it.
[signature]
We hiked to the lower lake on Monday. The trail was fair on the way in, but turned mushy for the return trip.

The lake is as brown as every other body of water in the area and we didn't do a thing on spinning gear.

Great day though - snow, hail, rain, wind, and sunshine all in one hike.
[signature]
Good job on getting out, but, wow, you are braver or hardier than I am! I am amazed you got to the first lake. Did you have to hike over any snow? Was the creek roaring down the canyon?
[signature]
That must of been quite the hike on the way out!
I've done that too many times where the snow is hard and frozen in the morning, and easy to walk over. On the way out it's always a pain!
Thanks for the report. I'm really looking forward to taking that hike sometime this summer, but for now we'll wait until things dry up. Just curious: did you not hike up to the Upper lake because of conditions or for some other reason?
[signature]
There was on patch of snow on the trail about 30 feet long and a foot deep.

We didn't attempt the upper lake because of the small blizzard that hit just as we got to the lower lake. We just fished until I couldn't feel my fingers and then headed down. I seriously doubt you can get to the upper lake without snow shoes.

The creek was booming and has made a couple of significant course adjustments since last time I was up there.
[signature]