Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Youth Fishing License
After reading the Idaho rules I am a bit Confused as to which youths are required to have a license to fish in Idaho.

I will be leading a group of Boy Scouts on a trip to the Hagerman Fossil Beds area near the Snake River and would like to let them fish while we are there.

At what age will a Non-Resident youth be required to buy a fishing license? Which license will they be required to buy?
Are there any exemptions ofered for organised Boy Scout trips? If so, how do I apply for them?

Any help with this question would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
i believe 12 and older instate or out.
[signature]
Non resident under 18 season fishing 21.75 . Resident 14 and over to 17 , $13.75 . Reading the regs it looks like if they want less than a season license it's the same price as an adult .Curt G.
[signature]
wouldnt hurt to call the fish and game and ask them. i dont know why a out of state kid should be any diffrent than a instate kid personaly. its still the same jr. price.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 1][font "Times New Roman"][size 1]
"Nonresident children under 14 years of age
[/size][/font][/size][/font][font "TimesNewRomanPSMT"][size 1][font "TimesNewRomanPSMT"][size 1]
must be accompanied by the holder of a valid fishing license

and their fish must be included in the license holder’s limit

in order to fish without a license, or they may purchase a

[/size][/font][/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 1][font "Times New Roman"][size 1]nonresident license and have their own limit."

In the gray box in the regs.
[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[signature]
In years past non residents under 14 could fish off of there parents license , but the fish they caught had to be counted on the parents license . So if the limit was six and you had one child fishing with you . You could have three and your child could have three . Or any combination that adds up to six . At Henry's it would be one and one . Curt G.
[signature]
Thanks for the replies so far.
Seeing that there is a bit of confusion I called the Law Enforcement Office of the Idaho Fish and Game. They noted the part about under 14, (meaning age 13 or under) could fish alongside an adult with a valid license and said they would check to see about organized Scout outings having any kind of exemptions, and clarify at exactly what age which boys would need a license and which one for how much.
I know I'll be dropping $120 or so for my license and second pole permit. I think the other dads will just get the single day for $12.50 and add another 3 days to that.

The limit doesn't matter to much to me. We would be fishing below the Salmon Falls dam and I don't think we will be keeping any fish. What I really want to do with them is get a Sturgeon hooked up so they can take turns feeling what a fish that could be as big as they are is like. I have fished there before and have brought several fish to 7' to the shore. It would be neat to get a picture of several scouts standing in the water next to a nice fish.
[signature]
that sounds like a great idea. i hope it works out for you and your troop. It would be a memory those kids would never forget.

i have wondered if the f&g would ticket a kid fishing alone? As a kid i remember riding my bike fishing. i almost never had an adult with me and was below the age limit for a permit. I remember only once being checked and the officer was very friendly.
[signature]
When I was a kid you didn't need a fishing license until you were 16 years old. That was the age you needed a small game license too.
When I was young, most of the CO's knew me pretty well and counted on me to let them know how things were going. I fished about 5 days a week and they counted on me to let them know if there was any pollution coming down the river or if people were keeping over their limit.
I was even picked up once as a run away by the state troopers who saw me hiking down the road up in the mountains. I convinced them to call the Forest Ranger in the area and he confirmed that I most likely was not running away or they would have never seen me. He confirmed that if I said I was headed to Siamese Ponds Wilderness for the weekend that I most likely was and not to worry about me to much, as I knew the area well.
When I was 16 the state hired me to take several troopers across the Siamese Ponds Wilderness from Elm Lake to 13th Lake looking for the murderer, Robert Garrow. He was accused of killing 4 campers and was one of the best woodsman in the Adirondack mountains. I tracked him for 3 days with them, but he was faster and knew where he was going so we did not catch him. We found several cashes of food and supplies and he inadvertently showed me the location of 2 caves I had not known about until then.
They finally got him, gunned him down and brought him to trial where he freted that his being paralyzed was punishment for his crimes, After being sentenced to prison, he managed to escape and was shot to death 3 days after escaping on foot from the Fishkill prison.

Good story if you ever want to read it or tell it around a camp fire. Little scary, though.
[url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Garrow"][/url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Garrow[/url]
[signature]
I know a resident under 14 can fish without an adult, I did as a kid and the way it's written right now seems to imply the same.

Ditto on the idea being a good one...sounds like a fun time.
[signature]
[quote jigs]i have wondered if the f&g would ticket a kid fishing alone? As a kid i remember riding my bike fishing. i almost never had an adult with me and was below the age limit for a permit. I remember only once being checked and the officer was very friendly.[/quote]

When I was 8 or 9 years old we went to deadwood to try and catch the post spawn salmon at the a fish trap. There was dozens of people fishing there and i saw some of them snagging so I thought it would be ok to snag them to. After I caught a half dozen fish or so a nice guy with a fishing pole came up and asked to talk to my parents. Turns out he was undercover fish and game. He then gave my step dad a ticket for the fish I snagged. He let us keep the fish though.
[signature]
Why not put a call into the fish and game headquarters? see if there was a way you could do without licenses for the day. I know back when i was in scouts a lot of organizations would go out of there way to help, from food to days in the field explaining how things work and about wildlife plants and so on. You might even get the officers to show up with poles and help the way they do on free fishing days.
I know last summer a group of scouts from idaho falls were going sturgeon fishing and they wanted to buy some sinkers i gave them one free for every one they bought just to make sure they had enough. good on you for helping with the organization [cool]
[signature]
Here is a warning. The river right now is HUGE!!! The Dam at lower Salmon has water going through all the turbines and over the spill way. It is dangerous around the river right now. Trying to get the kids on a sturg would be fun but that east bank is dangerous right now. The point is totally under water.
I don't want to spoil your trip but That is the update on the water level. If you do go please be careful. Ron
[signature]
Thanks Ron.
I have been keepin track of the water from the USGS gaging station at Buhl. It says the river is running almost 22K cfs. Way high. I have also been told that the steps on the north side are underwater Not good for fishing as I can only huck about 8 and bait Probably not enough to hold in the current. If I can't make it stick I might try up stream above Bell Rapids at a couple of slow pools I know of.
When you say the point, do you mean the one between the spillway and river, or the basalt cliffs down from there where the cars park at he end of the South river road?
We will be running the river in rafts so I will continue to keep an eye on things. We have been talking with Olin Gardner of Idaho Whitewater Guides who will be supplying guides on the river for us. He says the white-water will be runnable, with most of the river blown out and the option to use the upper take out may be a good one.

My bigger worry right now is that the River Road on the south side up from Bliss bridge may not be passable and we will have to find another place to camp.

Keep me posted if you will, please. We plan to be there the week of June13th.
If worse comes to worse we hike at Fossil, look at Malad gorge, raft along 1000 springs, duck watch above Bell Rapids on the ponds and hit the hot springs for a day. If fishing can't be done, oh well it can't be done.
[signature]
I heard back from the IDFG about the youth license.
If the child is below age 14, hey may fish with a licensed adult but any fish kept by the chld must be included in the limits of the adult.

Thank you all for your responses to my qustion and PM's.

Due to the historical river levels the trip has been postponed until river levels rturn to normal.
[signature]
sucks that your trip has been postponed but i was kind of worried about you guys down on that river with flows being what they are. When you do go up let me know and if i am not working ill bring my rods and weights to help you all. i love seeing kids catch fish especially sturgeon
[signature]
Thanks, Bug.

I'll post up some fishing condition requests before we come. Probably in August or September.

The river, i'm sure is epic, I just didn't think "epic" was the right river to take newbies on. I picked that part of the river because I wanted some thrills but low danger, maybe in August.
[signature]
You was wise to not tackle the river at this time with kids. Ron
[signature]