Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walleye 3-peat
That's right three walleye, 1 channel, and a handful of whities. I go two years trying to catch walleye out of UL and then today I land 3 good sized ones? Whats going on?

Here's the downlow:
-we were in the Sandy beach area
-in ~4 feet of water
-the floor was muddy, not rocky
-the water was much more stained than the rest of the lake
-and it was like 1 in the afternoon
-the crankbait I was using ran 1 to 2 feet below the surface.

This trip helped debunk some myths I had in my head.
1. Walleye are only in rocky bottoms, though they may prefer them, I don't know.
2. Walleye stay on the bottom. Maybe so, but to get their prey, it seemed otherwise.
3. Walleye are recluses in the day time. We caught them in the heat of the day while the sun was blazing.
4. Walleye are only located at certain spots in the lake. Maybe so, but I'd call the area where we caught these unconventional.
5. Two things held true, we were on an easterly bank where forage would wash up, and walleye were to be found. And the water was super murky, it's said that walleye have an advantage in turbulant or otherwise murky water.

These walleye hit my lure really hard, I didn't even have to really set the hook. What else was crazy was I cuaght two walleye in two casts. The third came soon after, all within 25 yards of eachother. And they faught really good, they give a tug like a carp does, but they seemed to keep the pressure on the line for you throughout the fight, they were always resisting at a moderate pace. What I'm saying is, I got to feel how a walleye fights, and it is different than a trout, carp, or catfish, though the one channel cat I caught, we were so walleye happy we thought it was too when my bobber went underwater, ha ha.

I need to invest in some jaw holders because the first walleye tore my hand up with his gill plate, then I was scared to touch the next too. It made handling the cat fish a treat. Did I mention how big the walleyes' teeth were?

My buddy who was with me only landed one white bass the whole day. I'm fairly convinced that the lure is what made the difference today, since he tried everything he had, aside from a lipless crank, because he didn't have one, though I did let him cast with mine for a while thinking that would help. It didn't. I don't know how it happens where one person catches fish while another doesn't. It's just nice to be on the catching end of things this time[Smile] I guess I finally paid enough dues!

Anyways, I know I'm rambling, but I super excited, and I'm going to count this as one of the best fishing days of my life, very rewarding. Looking at my pictures, it's kind of hard to differentiate that there are three different walleyes, but I really did catch three.

One last thing, they were all 22" long, and the one we weighed came in at 4 1/2 pounds. We released them for another day. But why there were all basically the same size is beyond me.
[signature]
Way to go dude i cant remember the last time i caught a walleye. Guess you just have to do the opposite of what is expected to catch them eyes .[Wink]
[signature]
Well Im not a walleye expert but I would say they were probably hunting and feeding on either the same food the white bass were or the smaller white bass themselves.

Nice job on the eyes though.
[signature]
Good on ya dude!
But, I can't believe you let those tacos go! They would have made a beautiful fiesta ....
[signature]
Nice 'eyes. I still remember my first walleye out of UL. My daughter and I were fishing for white bass and she caught a 25"er and I a 16"er. A couple more to follow after that. I've been a UL walleye expert ever since, lmao! Fish for something else and hope to get lucky!
[signature]
Nice catch must have been an exciting day on the water.[fishin]
[signature]
Ha ha, that's how I feel, i'm now an expert[Wink] To be honest we were trying for LMBs, and were pleasantly surprised by what we caught. I did want to keep them but they seemed too cool to eat, I figure I would rather eat the little 16 inchers, but it really came down to the fact that I don't have a filet knife, otherwise i'd have kept one or two.
[signature]
Nice fish...you earned em!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice work. You proved two things I like to spout to those who seek walleyes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. Most walleyes are caught by accident...by anglers who are fishing for something else.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. June is a magic month. The walleyes are on a post spawn feeding binge and they DO feed almost any time of the day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you found some willing fish. If you plan to play with ANY fish that has spines, teeth or sharp gill plates you should invest in a lip gripper. A lot of local anglers like the orange plastic ones sold by Cabelas. They float too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good bite should last well into July this year. After that the water temps go up well past 70 and the walleyes adopt a more nocturnal feeding pattern. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
You need to jump in the Wiper Fest this comming Sat. if not allready entered, there are 40+ teams entered so far.[fishin]
[signature]