Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castaic fishing report for 9/12
[cool] Well guys, as we are getting closer and closer to the the possible closure of Castaic Lake I am trying to get in a few last trips to the lagoon there. I got there around 4:52am. The water temp was still around 78deg. There were still remnants of a full moon so we decided we still had time for some catfishing. We were wrong. Cats wouldn't bite. Saw a few topwater splashes around the dock, broke out the flyrod, and nothing doing. Tried many variations of flyies too. It was getting close to 7:00 and no bite in site. That's how it goes sometimes.

My son was getting anxious to catch something so I gave him a few suggestions. Bang!!!! He pulls in a baby LMB off the bottom. So we figure that there is still a chance for something being early and all. No sooner did we re-rig ourselves and we were catching LMB in thier prime time hour for this lake. We ended up with 2- 8#, 1- 9.5# 1- 12# and 1- 16# all returned to the water. We are still trying for the big one. He is still out there. There was not a single bluegill in sight that whole morning. Sheeeeesh with LMB lurking around in abundance, I wounder why.[Tongue]
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like a great way to finish off a day that started off bad.

I gotta wonder though. Did you weigh those fish on the special "fisherman scales" I sent you? Those are the ones that Sean weighed 25 pounds at birth. Stupid hospital scales were way off, as I recall.

By the way, what color and type plastics were working best?
[signature]
The LMB like the 3" grubs. They are generally hitting on a sparkling gray tone and they even like that peppered pumpkin seed looking type. I hooked Sean up carolina style and I went with a drop shot. Both worked well. There is a lifegaurd there that weighs fish for people on a digital scale.
[signature]