Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
battery charger
short story...have tube...want fishfinder...have battery yuasa 12 V 7.0 Ah...need charger...went to yuasa home page found this

Automatic 12V 1.5 Amp Battery Charger [ul] [li]Fully automatic 5 stage cycle for efficient charging [li]Up to 16 volts for recovery of sulfated batteries [li]Error proof operation [li]Reverse polarity protection [li]3 year limited warranty[/li][/ul] [Image: 1201501.jpg]

Price: $59.

worth the price ?anything cheaper out there?
[signature]
[size 2]This one is sold in several different places and ranges from $135-$170.[/size]

[url "javascriptConfusedhowEnhanced29;"][Image: p618947reg.jpg][/url]

Features

[ul] [li]Model number: 013067 [li]Multi-view screen for side view and bottom view at the same time [li]3.3-in by 2.4-in Supertwist display [li]8 sq in of viewing area [li]8,192 pixels (128 vertical and 64 horizontal [li]1,000 pixels per sq in [li]Maximum freshwater depth reading of 240 ft [li]Maximum distance side (Sidefinder®) of 120 ft [li]Digital read out for depth and temperature [li]Standard or metric selectable [li]Cone angle of 9-degrees (bottom) and 9-degrees (side) [li]Dimensions: 6.5 in x 33 in x 8 in [li][size 2]Operates for up to 40 hrs with 3 C-cell batteries [/size] [li]Low battery indicator [li]Operates at 455 kHz [li]1-year full warranty and service policy [li]Extremely portable [li]Weight: 5 lbs [li]C-clamp mounting bracket included [li]Mounts to boats, docks and canoes [li]Fully adjustable telescopic shaft allows for easy transport and storage [li]Multi-view transducer [li]Sidefinder® technology [li]Built-in digital depth and temperature [li]Multi-view screen [li]Audible fish alarm [li]Multi-level Fish D Tect [li]Adjustable backlit display [li]Automatic gain control [li]Screen contrast adjustment [li]Zoom/bottom track [/li][/ul]

You might want to check into one of these. My friend has one on his pontoon and swears by it[Wink]

[size 2][/size]
[signature]
What brand is that?
[signature]
That's a good question![shocked]

It's called the Fishing Buddy. That's probably the maker. My friend says it's works good.

He replaces the batteries maybe once every 2 months. He tried rechargable batteries in it but they didn't seem to work as good as regular batteries. It really depends on how much you use it. I usually fish maybe 4-5 hours on average. My friend fishes 8 hours on average![shocked]

I am going to get one in a week or two. Saving some money up.
[signature]
When you get a chance to use it post some reports on how it does. I'd like to get one for my tube next summer, but I've also heard that another one is really good too. I can't remember which one it is but TubeDude reccommended it I think.
[signature]
i pretty much narrowed it down to which fish finder i'm going to buy i have a battery i got from work i'm just putting out a feeler for chargers to see what you guys might be useing price etc.

chris
[signature]
[size 2]I hear yeah. [/size]

[size 2][/size]
[signature]
You can pick up a charger at Sportsman's for under $10. TubeDude is currently using an Eagle Cuda 168. I have the Cuda 128 and love it. If I had to do it all over again I would spend the extra money and get the 168. The 168 is still close to $100.

ES
[signature]
THAT'S the one I was thinking of: The Cuda 128.
[signature]
thanks for the info scud i'll look into that here a thought !!!! sell me your 128 and use the money to invest in a 168 LOL

chris
[signature]
[cool]Hey, bro. For the SLA batteries they do not recommend the same type charges you would use on the acid and lead plate ones...like motorcycle batteries. What you need is a little stepdown transformer wall plug that charges at 500 to 800 milliamps. The ones I use are about a half amp hour (500 milliamps). One of them came with the original SLA battery I got from Cabelas, and can probably be found for under $10. The other one I got at a specialty battery place...and paid more...but it is a good charger.

Check with Radio Shack or any place they sell a lot of batteries for all the modern 12 volt SLA uses. If you go in a battery store anymore, it is amazing all the sizes and shapes.

The rule of thumb I use, for the low wattage Eagle sonar units I use, is to charge them about an hour for each hour on the water. Theoretically, that is about right. They draw 1/2 amp per hour and charge at the same rate. It does not hurt them to forget and leave them on the charger overnight. It is also a good idea to top them off periodically, if you are not using them. They are not designed to be "deep cycle" batteries like the big marine units.

I have a heavy duty battery charger that will charge as low as 2 amps, that I have not plugged in since I began using the SLA batteries about five years ago. Man, it sure is great to be able to just stuff the battery in a back pocket, in any position, and not have to worry about spilling acid. Had a couple of "troublesome" experiences with my first motorcycle batteries. Had to strap them upright in plastic boxes to keep them stable.

That help any?
[signature]
that helps mucho i think i drop in to sportman like emuscud suggested and see what they got

chris
[signature]
[url "http://www.batterymart.com"]http://www.batterymart.com[/url]
[signature]
while I could sell you my 128, I think I'll pass. Although it would get used a bunch more if you had it[Sad]. I need to go test it out sometime this fall at Jordanelle or Deer Creek. I'll let you know when I go (probably not for another 2-3 weeks) and you can give it a test drive to see if you like it or not. Sportsmans has both the 128 and 168 on display (in provo store). You can see the resolution difference with them side by side.

ES
[signature]
[cool][url "http://www.batteriesplus.com/"]http://www.batteriesplus.com/[/url]

Here's where I got my last charger...about $30 for an 800 milliamp. I just checked the locator and they have a new store in Salt Lake. They didn't have one the last time I checked.

[Image: XtremeSLA.jpg]

This is their lineup of rechargeable sealed lead acid batteries in different sizes, shapes and amp/hours.

I got lost in their catalog listings. But, they have an 800 number you can call for info on the chargers.
[signature]
thanks for all the help everyone i knew i could count on you guys thanks again

chris
[signature]
OK, english please[Smile] What kind of battery would I need to get to run a fish finder (volts/amps/watts) I don't know much about batteries, I guess some hold more of a charge and put out more power. Keep in mind I'm usually out on my tube for many many hours (5 or 6 hours min.)
[signature]
[cool]Hey, hustler898, batteries are like most things in life. Confusing if you have never messed with them...simple once you got the hang of the language.

First terminology to look for is SLA...Sealed Lead Acid. These are also known as gel cells. They do not have the filler caps to which you add the sulphuric acid, like in most car and motorcycle batteries. They are smaller and lighter for the same output than the older style. Also, they require no special care and you do not have to make sure they are positioned upright in your tube to avoid spilling acid.

Next term is Amps or Amp/hours. When you locate a source of SLA batteries, they will be rated at anywhere from about 2 to 36. That stands for how many amps of 12 volt current they store.

The next thing you need to find out is the wattage...or power consumption of your sonar unit. Most of the lower end units, like the Eagle Fish Easy and the Cudas, only suck about 1/2 amp per hour. So, if you are going to fish for six hours, with the unit running continuously, you will use 6 time 1/2...or 3 amps of the stored power. Some of the high end units you would mount on a boat have high wattage and high output...and suck even big marine batteries dry quickly. You need to hook them up to batteries that are recharged during running of the engine.

I have always bought batteries with a minimum of 6 amp/hours. The ones sold by Cabelas and others for portable sonars and float tube use are usually about 7.5 amps. That is plenty of power for a couple of normal trips. However, I advise charging after every trip, and topping off just before you go out...especially if it has been a couple of weeks since the last use, and definitely if a month or longer. Most batteries will lose about 1 % of their charge a day if left idle.

Just like running a computer, running your sonar continuously is better than turning it on and off to conserve battery power. Once you hvae one on your tube, you will find that you watch a lot of TV...not just to see the little fishy icons swimming across the screen, but to keep track of the depth, bottom structure, contour and water temps...if you have that feature on your unit.

As I have said many times before, the real value of sonar to tubers is not just fish finding. You will catch a lot of fish that never showed up in the cone beneath your tube...especially in the typically shallower waters we fish. But, you can't catch them where they ain't...neither.

My single biggest value in having a sonar is to determine at what depth the fish are holding near the bottom, and then casting in that area or vertical jigging them. The sonar lets me stay in the right areas and the right depths. Often, the fish will be very depth oriented, and fishing too shallow or too deep will put you out of the action. I can't begin to remember how many days the sonar...and staying in the right depth...has meant the difference between zipping and zapping.

Hope that helped. By the way, will you be wanting to rig up your sonar for ice fishing during hard water time?
[signature]