Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Towing to Deadwood
I'm considering a week long camping and fishing trip to Deadwood. Will be in my truck and slide in camper. I've heard the road from Warm Lake down to the reservojr is the best (smoothest). I've never been on this road. the two times I've been to Deadwood have been up from Lowman. And that road sucked! Is the road from Warm Lake OK for towing? Or am I still out of my mind considering towing a boat. Oh, and it will be a fiberglass family boat and not an aluminum fishing boat.
I towed my 19' glass boat in on warmlake road to deadwood. its not perfect, but its not bad. I would do it again.
[signature]
warm lake is the smoothest followed by cape horn(stanley), bear valley(lowman) and avoid scott mountain especially if towing. i always went scott mountain because it was fastest but i would have to stop and retighten my canoe on top because it would rattle loose. most people tow boats thru warm lake. i prefer snowmobiling in there.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply.

My next question...is there any kind of decent boat launch ramp on the northern end of the lake, preferably on the large peninsula? Decent meaning not overly muddy to the point where I'd risk getting stuck putting in or taking out? Or am I likely going to have to resort to the regular boat ramp all the way down by the dam?
[signature]
you can put in at the point there but there is no ramp. I had no troubles with my 17 ft glass boat... make sure you got 4x4 and decent tires though. warm lake was good for towing they just graded it too.
[signature]
At the cozy something campground the soil was nice and rocky. No trouble with my 19ft. Boat.
[signature]
Cozy Cove I think is what you're referring to. Thanks for the details on soil conditions down there. That's on the south end of the lake, and I'm hoping to stay on the north end. I guess if all else fails, I can tow to the south end, put in, then beach the boat near where we camp on the north.
[signature]
It seems like I recall boats being launched on the north end where the river flows into the reservoir. It was primitive, but it looked ok.
[signature]
I was at Deadwood this past week and it was good to launch a boat where the river dumps in, sand and gravel bottom.
I even seen a motor home take out a good size boat with no problems. We caught one kokanee that had a red blush. the others were good. I have found that in August the larger fish are turning red. We had a good time, plenty of fish biting, we had the grandkids fishing, a 4yr old and a 7 yr old. They landed 6 and had another 10 on. in 2 hours. we were camped at warm lake and went in for the boys to catch some larger fish one kokanee was 16". and gave the 7 yr old all he could handle. It was fun for Grandpa & Grandma.
[signature]