Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uintas 7/23-7/24 (with pics)
I stuck with my weekly routine of heading up to the high unitas this weekend. This time we decided to camp for a night. I was wanting to try somewhere I had never been up there, so why not go big and try to catch something I had never caught before. The road to this destination was a bit rough, but I had to put the brand new rims and tires on the Tundra to the test somehow (they were great). Got camp set up early afternoon on Saturday. We fished for a while, caught a ton of brookies, but still not what I came for. Ate dinner, and fished until about dark. Again, tons of brookies, but that's nothing new. Woke up on Sunday ready to accomplish my goal. I made a fire for my wife to wake up to, and cooked a nice bacon and eggs breakfast (surely some good karma has to come of this). We fished the morning, again slaying the brook trout. Was just about ready to accept defeat (fishing my way back to camp) when I finally did it...... I caught the rare, elusive golden trout. This weekend was already very enjoyable, but this put it over the top.
For anyone reading my last week's report and my reply of no bugs... TOTAL different story this weekend, which I knew was coming soon. The mosquitos were everywhere. I will attach a video of the brookies in the stream by our camp jumping fully out of the water, attacking the mosquitos. It was very entertaining.
[signature]
Here's the link to the video.

[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6p001skZeA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6p001skZeA[/url]
[signature]
Beautiful fish!
[signature]
Bowhunter-

Great report and very envious of you. Looks like you've been having some good times up there in the high country.

Great pictures of that golden.

gaetz
[signature]
Thank you both, and I have been having a great time up there. This fish was pretty tough to come by. I didn't count, but would guess between the two of us, we caught close to 100 brookies before the golden finally managed to beat them to the hook. Was definitely fast action, but rough to get what I went for.
[signature]
Just an FYI, I am usually OK with giving out some info through PM, as I have in the past couple weeks. This is not the case wit this spot. It is way too small and a very rare fish. A little research and it can be figured out, but I will not be the one to throw the information out there publicly. Sorry, good luck to you all, and I am happy to help, but will not disclose this location (even through PM).
[signature]
Don't leave the dog up there to long he might get fat on those Mosquitos..... LOL
[signature]

[quote bowhunter3]Just an FYI, I am usually OK with giving out some info through PM, as I have in the past couple weeks. This is not the case wit this spot. It is way too small and a very rare fish. A little research and it can be figured out, but I will not be the one to throw the information out there publicly. Sorry, good luck to you all, and I am happy to help, but will not disclose this location (even through PM).[/quote]

As you know about us we are the type of fisherman that will reveal anything about anywhere but in this case we completely agree with you...KEEP THIS PLACE A SECRET. Those golden trout are as rare as gold in our opinion so congrats on the elusive catch....now if only more of us could talk the DWR into stocking them again.
[signature]
Nice job.
[signature]
Great catch! Really good size too, considering.

Congratulations.
[signature]
I found out some info on the goldens:

The DWR cannot stock them. The eggs have not been available since the mid 30's! That's how lucky we are to have some left. I believe California quit selling them in 1936. My source found this on paper, not the web.

Now if the DWR were to try and collect eggs to start a brood stock, there might be a possibility. Unfortunately, I highly doubt that the state of Utah will dedicate their resources to breeding a non native fish, so closely related to our cutthroat. That would require a lot of man hours to even collect live specimens.
[signature]
Thanks everyone, and that is very interesting to know that they have been unable to get resources for them for so long. This helps put it into perspective for me, of actually how rare it is. It sure made my trip...
[signature]
You're the 4th one on this site in 3 weeks reporting catching one so they must be holding their own even if they're outnumbered hundreds to one in the 2 or 3 lakes up there that have goldens. I remember stopping in the Kamas hatchery when I my son was little, probable 8 or 9 years ago. They had own display a single 2+ lb golden trout in a tank out front. They weren't producing goldens at the time so not sure where they got it. I doubt they will ever stock them again so the most we can do is keep a limit of brookies in the few lakes that have them. I did that last time up but honestly they we're the worst trout I've ever eaten. I was expecting better. Been thinking of getting a smoker. At least that way they wouldn't end up in the dog bowl again[laugh].
[signature]