Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Causey To PV (1st and 2nd Tiger Muskie)
Met at Pineview for the BFT gathering at 8am. Since my toon is still down I bailed to Causey.

Causey- Got to Causey around 8:30am. Waded out past the spillway to the 1st rocky point. Saw a 5 inch crawdad while walking out there. I never knew that reservoir had them in there. Started out by throwing a Gold Blue Fox spinner size 2 tipped with a nightcrawler. Had a few tigers pursue it and then a rainbow took it...then as I was reeling him in he bumped his head on the rock ledge and got free. Saw a massive tiger trout cruzing the shoreline. I switched to a black bomber rapalla and he followed it and then swam off the other way. Not liking the scene I switched to the upper ogden river below the dam. Same story...no fish. Went back to Causey and tried the other side of the dam. While fishing a man came up to me and said that he needed some hooks cause he left his tackle box at home. Thinking good karma would come my way I gave him 6 hooks and to my dismay my spinner got jammed on the bottom and I lost it! I lost faith in my karma theory and bailed to Pineview (where karma paid me back) to fish for an hour before picking up TyeDyeTwin who was tooning with MarineSpear.

Pineview- Got to the parking lot where all the BFT's met up earlier in the day. Threw out a Gold Blue Fox size 3 spinner tipped with a nightcrawler. On the 1st cast a watched as a submarine ambushed my spinner and bam...hooked up with my 1st ever Tiger Muskie. Got him up on shore, measured him (25 inches), took a pic and let him swim off. After just a couple of casts I moved 100 feet down the beach. After 7 casts I felt a huge snag. I pulled and thought, "ok I'll pull in this bush". Then the line went left, right and left again. I started reeling in fast and thats when the monster Tiger Muskie breached and my line shot off into the lake. In a few minutes I got the beast on shore. My pack/camera was far off at the other location but I had a tape measure on me, so I measured him (39 inches) and braced my rod on the rocks as I ran for my camera/pack. When I came back the knot had snapped and he was sitting in a couple of inches of water. Knowing I had returned he splashed for freedom as I reached for the camera...and got away before I could get a pic. I told the other bank tanglers "did you release my fish" and they replied "No.... but that fish was muy muy muy grande!!!!". With time running out I packed up and left with perhaps my best day at Pineview under my belt. From now on I think I will ditch out on Causey in the near future. For all you bank tanglers out there...there is hope for the infamous Tiger Muskie. While driving back down Ogden Canyon with TyeDyeTwin for some volunteer work (never found the place [mad]) we stopped for a picture of Utah's newest waterfall....a broken pipe created this one. It is amazing how much water goes through that pipe.

My 1st Tiger Muskie...if only I coulda got a pic of the 2nd.
[Image: 736991.JPG]
Utah's newest waterfall in Ogden Canyon
[Image: 736992.JPG]
[signature]
Hey great job on the muskies!! Sounds like a pretty fun trip! To bad about missing the pic of the big one. I'll bet a close by shore angler would have taken a pic of you and the fish with their phone or camera and then texted or emailed you the photo. I always think of those things to late when in the moment.
[signature]
Sounds like Karma was better then having a toon today. Congrats on the Muskies.
[signature]

[quote Capt.Nereus]Hey great job on the muskies!! Sounds like a pretty fun trip! To bad about missing the pic of the big one. I'll bet a close by shore angler would have taken a pic of you and the fish with their phone or camera and then texted or emailed you the photo. I always think of those things to late when in the moment.[/quote]

That's a great idea!!! My phone was in my pocket but it lacks a camera. Next time I am gonna take the camera with me. I left it behind thinking, "its not like I am gonna catch 2 of these things today". Boy was I wrong. Last time I was at PV I caught one little dink perch...it was nice to hook into something a little bigger. Thank god the tape measurer was near by! That 39 incher is now my biggest fish to date.
[signature]

[quote tlspyder13]Sounds like Karma was better then having a toon today. Congrats on the Muskies.[/quote]

Thanks...it seems like it is when I give up on good old Karma...she turns around and teaches me a new one. Can't wait to catch another Tiger Muskie soon. They are my new favorite fish.
[signature]
Good job on the TM's bud! I am gonna hit Newton tomorrow night and Sat morning to get it dialed in for a trip with you guys there. I will let you know how i do.
[signature]
Good because Troy (TyeDyeTwin) still needs to get one and redeem himself for the big fish he lost today on his pontoon. It bent his rod in half and snapped the line....even 22 inch Carp don't do that to his pole. I now know why people pursue Tiger Muskie they are one hell of a fish. Good Luck at Newton and may you lines go straight. Any success with anything other than TM's up there at that reservoir?
[signature]
congrats on your first musky, they are an awesome fish to fish for.. Those big muskies do that. you think you have a snag then bam there goes your line.. I always wait for a second or 2. when fishing pineview. you never know if it is a snag or not...good catch.. tightlines.. Pineviewfisher
[signature]
Newton has some nice musky, and plenty for them to feed on. There are loads of bitty bass, and some big toads too, if you can find them. Largemouth.
Also a plethora of panfish - perch, crappie. I've been told there used to be some nice channel cats in there, but I haven't heard any recent reports.
The perch tend to be everywhere you find schools of basslings, the crappie - I've had a harder time tracking down. Bit if you find one, likely there's another dozen waiting nearby.

Congrats on the musky. Now you've got "the fever".
The last time I was at newton there was a small trout right at the launch ramp. They're making a come back.
[signature]
Trout? In that puddle? That's a surprise. I'd guess they haven't been planted, or not for some time. Wow!

Have heard of a few stray Rainbows out in Cutler - slip out from the hatchery by the dump. Maybe if some of those Tigers slipped out from Newton and made their way to Cutler . . . .[Wink]

I heard the water's dropping pretty good now. Gotta feed the corn I guess. Hopefully the Powersquad'll end their reign, and anglers with lil' boats can move in again! WIsh they'd fix that ramp while the water's down. It's a MESS!