Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Mountain Lakes
The alpine lakes are prime right now- if you have a backpack and some mosquito repellant, it's time to head up. We found a couple surprise lakes last week we'd never taken the trouble to get into before that had some real pigs in them, at least for my experience in mountain lakes. Pretty tasty, too. We did damage with all kinds of dries on fly rods, but also used the fly-n'-bubble trick with our spinning gear and did really well. the killer fly this time around was a Carey Special Peacock in a size 8. I think they thought it was one of the giant caddis up there swimming under the surface. My brother took this three pounder to feed him and his son- it was pretty representative of what has now become our secret lake.
[signature]
Very nice fish. Thanks for the report. Looks like it was a great camping trip.

Windriver
[signature]
That is a nice fish for a high mountain lake. Its been too long since I have fished one. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Steve lunker soldier.jpg. Would that be the soldier lakes?
[signature]
cool pics ! i should do some of that. i know there are some trout that probably never see more than a couple lures in there life. hundreds of lakes like that
[signature]
Those are really amazing fish for a high mountain lake! I am lucky to see a 16" fish in the lakes I manage to hike into. Gives a person incentive to continue hiking into and exploring different lakes. Nice report!
[signature]
Looks like a great way to spend a weekend. Hiking, camping, and some alpine solitude. That is what summers are for!
[signature]
Great report and pics. Mountain lakes are fun to get to no matter what. Add some nice sized fish and it gets even more enjoyable.
[signature]
They never taste better than fresh out of the water and cooked right on a fire. Hmmm hmmm.

Did ya bring a lemon and some butter?

I used to stuff them with wild sage, and wrap em in foil in the High Sierras. Very nice!
Absolutely, Iwantabuggy! PM me and I'll show you which one- just didn't want to publish out loud on the net-

We spent a week hiking from lake to lake in a couple drainages, so no butter. Had various herbs and spices that did the trick, though. The big one ended up in foil with olive oil and thyme. really nice.
[signature]
Oh man. I LOVE fishing alpine lakes this time of year! Thanks for sharing.
Great pics! I am home sick now so to speak. Being a native of Idaho I consider the high alpine lakes one of may favorite haunts and my fishing spirit tells that is home. Two years ago I had a chance to hike, fish and camp in the White Cloud Mtns. of central Idaho and loved every moment of it. Had some fantastic fishing too. And the fish were delicious wrapped in foil with spices and cooked in coals. Glad you had a chance to visit some real outdoor country, one of Idaho's gems.

DeeCee
[signature]
I love the the Whiteclouds! some of those lakes tucked up high in the rocks that are hard to get to have some surprisingly big fish too- and a few grayling if you get lucky!
[signature]
The White Clouds, Pioneers, and the area up around Cape Horn are some of my favorite areas. Thanks for posting this one; I haven't been up in the high lakes for a while. I am missing it!
[signature]