Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview fishing 9-19-03
[Smile][font "Arial"][red][size 2] Went to Pineview yesterday very early, and had the chance to fish with Old Coot. We wanted to land MUSKY very bad, but the musky were having no part of that . So we fished for some Smallies and we caught a lot of a new type of Small- Mouth Bass called Self- Releasing. Haha. We almost never had to grab a fish as they would release themselves.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] We had a great time and learned a little bit from a guy that was leaving the same time we were. Thanks to him.All in all it was a good day. Thanks Old Coot for a good day on the water.[/size][/#ff0000][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Bass are always fun. That's to bad you didn't get into some tigers since I wantted to go a little later today. Maybe I'll hold off a day or two. You wouldn't know if the temp has picked up since that last storm would you?
[signature]
[font "Arial"][red][size 2] I'm thinking that the water temp was around 56 degrees, because as we were running out past Browning point there was a cool fog comming off the water as the cooler air was gently blowing across.[/size][/red][/font]

[signature]

If your geusstimation is right, that'd be 10 degrees lower than two days ago, that's craazy stuff. I hope not. Thanks
[signature]
I have found that you need at least 3 days of steady weather for the musky bite to get good. as for the water getting cool thats what we want tigers dont like the warm water all theat much so as the water gets cool the get more active. until the water get real cold. sould be getting good tonight or tomarrow. hope you do good
[signature]
Hey thanks for the pointer. That's rare human behavior. I just hope I can get out there offten enough this week to see some action. (Myself) anything under 60 gets a little to cold for me and my float tube and I've out grown my weighters.
[signature]
no prob if you ever need any help just ask. I know what you mean about the cold. I cam as close to getting frost bite on my hands as you can get with out getting frost bite,a few years ago when I took some guys out duck hunting. now my hands get cold fast when it get down to the low 50. and be glad you can float tube with my 2 herniated discs I cant take mine out.(if I can get it back from my friend) anyway hope you can get up there and hook a big one.
[signature]
I got one foot in the [size 1]herniated disc boat and another in the pinched lower lumbar nerve/temporary paralisis boat for 9 1\2 years now. But I do what I can when I [/size]can. I'm sure you know how that is.
[signature]
sounds like you know just how I'm filling then. really put a damper on my summer fishing this year. but the docs are trying some stuff in hope that I'll still beable to go duck hunting. (cross my fingers) good to see that your doing the things you like still, I'm just getting to were I can walk for a few mins with out crying from the pain. I'm sure you remember that.
[signature]
Maybe it was a good idea I gave Pineview a break this weekend . Don't give up , you will get it someday Dan . Them smallies are my past the time fish up there . Got to love it .
[signature]
[Smile][font "Arial"][red][size 2] Thanks Ha69, you know those little buggers really put up a great fight once hooked, and don't forget those great self-releasing ones. haha[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] We had a great time, and I think I might give those smallies ago again after I get my boat going again. Will be done soon.[/size][/#ff0000][/font]

[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Yes, the water temp was pretty stable around 56-57 degrees all day. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]That guy that Dan refered to had caught about 30 smallies that morning. Every time we passed buy him, he and his partner were pulling one in if not doubles! He was using a drift sock just working the north bank of the narrows. They were drop-shotting plastic YUM crawdads that were blueish-purple on top and camo on bottom. I have heard of drop-shotting but never take the time to study it let alone try it. (As many of you know, I'm only a couple years new to fishing). So I looked up this Web site about it: [/size][/font][url "http://ww2.basspro.com/guides/dropshot/index.cfm"][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]http://ww2.basspro.com/guides/dropshot/index.cfm[/size][/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] The only difference between what he was doing and what this article shows, is that he was using split shot for the weight so that if it ever wedged in rocks, the slip shot would slide off and he wouldn't loose his rig. Next time I go up there and and am getting skunked on muskie, I will deffinately try drop-shotting for SMB. It looked way fun.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]The way I see it, next weekend ought to be good for the muskie bite so I'll be out there LOTS trying to bring in the elusive tiger.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Oh, I got my $25 cradle net from Jan's Net ... Thanks guys for the tip. Just wish I could catch a big fish to put in it![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I really enjoyed AFDan's company and if any of you get the chance to fish with him, take him up on it ... can't go wrong.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]We may not have caught the tiger we wanted Friday but I did catch this pic of the maples turning color on the hills: Fishin' aint just fishin' is it?[/size][/font]
[signature]
Hey Coot,

Were there any size to the smallies that were being caught? I havent been to pineview for a long while. Need to get back out there and play with the smallies real soon.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Hustler,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]All were quite small ... some you would even be surprised that they were big enough to go after our lures. I think the bigger ones were coming in on that guy's drop shot and craw.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I'm glad to hear you were able to get out there and chase those muskies, to bad the catching wasn't better but at least you caught some smallies.
Nice picture Old Coot, it looks like fall is in full swing. WH2
[signature]
I was out there the 19th AFDAN, we got skunked so we moved up on the river. Kinda sucks fishing pineview from the bank. Coudnt even get a single smallie. Or a perch. Good fishing, matt
[signature]
the bank fishing for the smallies has been excellent up there matt. perhaps a little change of tactics would help.
[signature]
Your probably right Xman. Most of my bass tackle is kinda big for these smallies. I did have a few bites off zoom lizards and texas rigged worms but I think my hooks might be a little to big. Guess I need to restock the old tackle box for my next trip. Maybe I'll try some senkos. Good fishing, Matt
[signature]
[#800000][size 2]Try using Walleye or Octopus(same thing) hooks for drop shotting or wacky rigging, they are stronger than drop shot/split shot hooks(won't straighten out). [/size][/#800000]
[signature]
Matt , I been fishing 4" and 5" senkos on 2/0 & 3/0 hooks and having good success at the Narrows . Lots of small fish but some running 18" in that area . Big tandem spinner baits 3/8 to 1/2 oz. were hooking fish too and I was throwing them because i saw a boat hook a muskie with them . Crawdad lures and jigs work too .I have caught them on big jointed rapalas and get them on the small road runner jigs . Got to get your jig on the bottom and drag it slowly . I use 10 to 12 pound test to get it out of the rocks . Some hide right on shore in the pockets under boulders . I like to get up on the road and look for them too and then go down try to get them to bite . Pineview is the lake I been learning this year and it has been good fishing most of the year . Good Luck
[signature]