Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salt Creek 10/29
Had a great day at Salt Creek with a good friend and fellow duck hunter kennyc. I decided Friday night it was time to take a trip up to Salt creek and see for myself what it now looked like, Well it is totally different from the last time I was up there and I knew it would be but what I was not ready for is the lack of vegetation to hunt in? There is very little cover and layout or coffins would be the way to go for the next few years until the cattails have a chance to come back,We didn't let this bother use because I have hunted in these kind of conditions and we made the best of it.

I have to say the Project was a complete success also, the birds are using the area, access is 100% better for guys with bigger boats and the foot soldiers should be very happy with the walk-in access that they have now.

Anyway this is how it went. arrived at Salt creek at about 7:30 and yes the sun was just starting to make it light enough to see and we could her the first shots of the morning ringing threw the air. We loaded up the boat and headed down the feeder creek to the main impoundment, On the way down I noted the water being very high and had plenty to motor in with no problem,as soon as we got to the main pond we ran smack into guys setting up on the main channel [:/] thought oh crap the water is to shallow for anyone to motor in besides the channel, Not the problem, the problem is the bottom is so hard from baking all summer they can't get a bite and the water is only about a foot deep outside the channel so I motored the scanoe right back in to where the ducks wanted to be and we tore them up, 95% of the ducks where pintails and we had four in the first half hour, then it was identify the duck and shoot the rest of the morning into early afternoon,We left around 2:00PM this is the results. No bad for a blue bird day.Smile
[inline 2011-10-29_SaltCreek_2Pinnies.jpg]
[inline 2011-10-29_Kenny_SaltCreek3.jpg]
[inline 2011-10-29_Kenny_Salt_Creek.jpg]
[inline "2011-10-29 SaltCreekSpoils.jpg"]
[signature]
I could shoot a limit of pinnies [Smile]
[signature]
LOL! Wouldn't take you long at all! took me two shots out of one flock! It was really frustrating passing all the time on shots,And I mean ALLOT of shots!...Allot of them where eclipsed so it was tough until they got really close, We missed an opportunity on a green-head that snook in the backdoor, seven feet off the weeds starting to back up and then he seen use. Smile both guns where resting on the boat. And I had a great shot at another one and the gun went CLICK! and not a shell in the gun. Had to laugh about that one! [sly]
We need to get out man!!! This week look like a killer!!!
[signature]
Nice, I may have to go duck hunting to do some pheasant scouting this friday with there being some ducks in that area.
[signature]
I don't think it is where you think it is,[Wink]
I can send you a PM with where I was though.
Heard no pheasants the whole time we where out there? which was weird we where close to area's I usually see a few.
[signature]