Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview this week
[#800000][size 2]I'm going back up to Pineview again this week. Jordanelle maybe 50 miles closer to Orem, but I want to get into some Bass like Hustler898 and maybe a toothie critter. [/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2] I need to go Sportsmen's first. My Shopping list will include a map, 3" white senkos, and maybe some PowerPro heavy line. I figure on just working over the "Narrows" area down by the dam. [/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2] What time in the morning does that ol' timer get up to take fees? And, how does he break it down. I thought I could use my state parks pass, nope its a Nat'l Forrest Park.[/size][/#800000]
[signature]
The latest and greastest is that today is the old timers last day so I guess Pineview will be free after today. Since it is privately owned I guess the owners made enough for the year.
[signature]
When are you planning to go Tomegun? I would be my pleasure to meet you up there and get you into some bass. One more thing, with the 3" Senko's make sure you pick up some size 1 or 2 hooks yamato's G-Lock. Anything larger than 1 just ruins the action. Carry a tube of superglue so you can repair your worms after a couple of fish they get torn apart. When I first used Senko's I went through a bag of 10 in 1 trip. They are so fragile the fish shake thier heads after lifting out of the water and the worm flies off into the drink. I switched to the Bass Pro Shop Imitations, they are way more durable yet identical to the senkos and for less than the price of a 10 pack of Senkos you get 20 worms.

Don't forget the 5" wire leaders! Don't repeat my mistakes by fishing without one. Never know when Mr. Tiger will be in the mood for white plastic.

Al
[signature]
Hey Al,

What tackle do you recommend for all the toothies at Pineview? Are you using superbraids for your line or just some heavy mono? I don't have a lot of heavy tackle, just some medium-heavy rods and baitcasting reels that I use for bassin. Do you recommend anything heavier, rod and reel wise? I'll make it up to Pineview sometime and I want to be prepared for the toothy buddies up there.

Thanks.
[signature]
I'm no Muskie expert! Your asking the wrong guy about takle recomendations. The only one I landed this year was a whopping 8" long [blush].

I had another one on my ultralight rig (about 40") that I'm sure I would have landed if he didn't bite the line. That was an accident also he hit on a smallie that took my senko and the smallie lodged in his jaw preventing him from bitting down on the line. Fought him for a good 40 min. with aquaman waiting to grab him but he spit the smallie and bit down on my line. I use a medium 5'4" pole with 8 pound test and fish a wire leader ahead of my senko because I was getting Muskie hits on occasion that would just cut me off. I'm prepared for the Muskie now if they decide to hit my Smallie bait again. That should be a good battle.

You should do fine with what you got as long as the drag is set properly! Aquaman has caught a couple already and he uses a medium heavy with a baitcaster reel and 12 pound test unless he has another rig I don't know about. I know for a fact that his first he caught on a white spinner bait and had susequent hits on the same spinner. As for his last one not sure what he used while trolling. I think the lighter the tackle the better the fight and the more memerable the experience! Just don't use 4# test that could be tricky[Wink]. The nice thing about Pineview and the narrows specifically is that it is deep so chances are you can play a Muskie for a while and he has nothing really to snag you up on.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Al
[signature]
[#800000][size 2]Al,[/size][/#800000] [#800000][size 2]I'm looking at thurs-sat. What is your work schedule like. [/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2][/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2] Oh btw, I'm vacation all week. [/size][/#800000]
[signature]
Thursday I'm free and that works great for me. Friday can't do and Saturday I need permission from the wife unless I can convince her to come along. It looks like I'll be heading up there tomorrow afternoon and I'll probably post my results. As far as work schedule I make my own unless bus. get's hecktic.
[signature]
[#800000][size 2]I guess I got 3 days to dig up some white senkos.[/size][/#800000]
[signature]
All the colors you told me about in senkos worked good up there too . I been trying wave worms in the green pumpkin with orange and ones with /chartreuse work good too . I know you fish the pointer 78 lures , I would think if a muskie surfaced on you they could entice a strike . I just bought a Pointer 95SP . First time I have seen them at Sportsmans Whse . I'm hoping to have a hot lure for them muskies . Have you ever fished this jointed type of lure ? Good luck on Pineview . I wish I could go but work is my ball and chain . If my stocks would sky rocket I would call in sick . LOL
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I recomend that you go Medium-Heavy or Heavy rods on those muskys. I recomend 20 lb main line and 17-20 lb flurocarbon leader or steel leader. As big and ugly as they are, remember that they are still quite fragile. It's easy to kill them with a combination of playing them too long, banging themselves in the boat, bending them in a too small net, and keepin them out of the water too long. Any one of those things can be the end of a good tiger's life. I suggest that you don't play them too long. Get them in to the boat, get a picture and get them revived and released asap. Don't spend too long playing them. That's precious energy that they use up being played.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Here is a link with more good info:[/size][/font]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=53384"][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=53384[/size][/font][/url]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Good luck and have fun with them elusive magestic monsters boys.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[#800000][size 2]I bought a 95sp last week. Tried for the first time, when you maniacs were pushing me up on the bank [Tongue]. They feel alot lighter than the 78's. Methinks, I'll have to throw off a spinning rod. I was using my crankbait rod and kept blowing up.[/size][/#800000]
[signature]
Well said Coot . Hope everyone can be careful with them and not stress them out . I worry about hooking one and not having a safe place to land them from shore . Rocks can be the death of them if they get banged around to much . I prefer to be near a sandy or muddy shore to land them for shore . Not that I've had much luck from shore but I consider these things before I even cast .
[signature]
[#000080][size 2]I got my white senkos. Pointer 78's. White Cappie looking spinnersbaits. 25lb BigGame for leader material. What else do I need for a Pineview Muskie. I got all the bass stuff and then some....[/size][/#000080]
[signature]
All I could say is try power trolling with the jointed rapala size J-11 or J-13 . Bump the bottom once in a while and hope for the best . Good Luck
[signature]
[#000080][size 2]I picked up some 6" steel leaders at the Walmart. I hope to get into some numbers and Muskie or three. [/size][/#000080]
[signature]
I would recommend 18" steel leader but the 6 could do fine with the water stained like it has been . I like the berkley stuff in black . But like I have a clue . LOL
[signature]