Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge 9-26-28-2003 (report)
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]IFG & I hit the Gorge for three days trying to target big macks. We fished long and hard from pre-dawn to after dark and managed only to tag a few pups. The concenus among all the fisherman we talked to was the same. The mack fishing is extremely slow right now.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]There were several boats catching a lot of kokes and rainbows but we did not falter in our pursuit of big macks. I got to hand it to IFG, that boy will fish long and hard. There's no wilt in that guy when things get slow for a while. My kind of fisherman.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We tried several methods trying for the elusive big lake trout. We jigged several different types of jigs, using several different types of presentations. We field tested some of TubeDude's mega roadunners and some spearhead tubes with a spinner blade that managed to nab a 6 lb mack pup. We trolled lots of big stuff; T50 flatfish, big rapalas, squidbaits with various dodgers and flashers combos. We even drifted dropshot rigs so we could drag bottom with pop gear and various lures during the windy periods of the day. We used typical halibut weights but are working on developing a better sinker system to avoid losing so much gear. Snags are expensive when the weights, pop gear and lures are engulfed by the flaming Gorge underwater demons.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We stayed at the Flaming Gorge Cafe & Motel. Room and Board all in one location. The rooms are ok and the food is good but the people who run the place are A-1 folks. My truck's battery system shorted out leaving us strand. Thanks to IFG's fine mechanical abilities, he troubleshot the problem. I would of never guessed it was a shorted out battery. Anyway, we were going to get up in the morning and get a battery but at breakfast, Gilbert, the owner, said he'd go to Green River and buy us a battery so we could fish the day instead of trying to round up a new battery ourselves. Gilbert's wife, who covers on the weekends as the waitress, let us order our dinner from our room and we went over to eat when it was ready. These are good people who are trying hard to make they're business a winner. They have mine and IFG's business and hopefully, any of you who go to Manilia will consider staying there and supporting these fine people. Here's their paticulars if you want to make reservations:[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Flaming Gorge Cafe & Motel
18 E. HWY 43
Manila, Utah
(435)784-3377[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Anyway, to sum up our trip, great weather, great fishing, beautiful scenery & weather, excellent company; IFG is my kind of guy, and a good place to stay and eat made this trip a winner. I can only hope your catch rate will be better than ours. We managed a handful of fish but the potenitial is there.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[#800000][size 2]BLM, where is this place in Manila? I've stayed at the KOA and Steinerker's, but don't know where FG Cafe & Motel is. thanks[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]Tommy[/size][/#800000]
[signature]
Tome,

The hotel is right across from the Chevron Station. Gil and his wife are as nice of people I've ever met...and remember I lived in LA (lower Alabama) for 7 years.) I used to stay at Steinaker Motel (when I knew how to catch fish), until now. Gil gets all my business. Where else in the world can you tell the owner of the Hotel you're staying at your story of woe and he'll drive 100 miles to get you a battery so you can fish more? It's not like we are regulars either, guys...this is the second time we've been there, and the first time we've stayed at the Hotel. If you should venture in the unfriendly confines of Flaming Gorge, stay there, order the the 16oz steak, with gravy on the fries. The rooms ain't much. Just don't expect much....it's only 40 bucks a night. Where else in the the in the cosmos can you yell you're dinner order in from the room. I sure do like that place. But, I'm a simple man, that can't catch fish. Until somebody gives me some solid water. Can I get stop looking stupid in the eye's of the great and all knowing BLM. I stand humbled before him. I did catch a 3" Smallmouth though. It wasn't on a Senko.
[signature]
Too bad them hogs were not willing to play,thats about how the deer hunt went for us just a couple of pups and I had to shoot one of them because it ran through camp!!Next time I will get my priorities straight and go fishing with you guys instead!! I would much rather sit in a boat and jig then to listen to the 4 wheeler run up and down the road all day.Thanks again for the invite,M.H.
[signature]
The powers of the IFG let you guys down again, what's up with that? At least you got the pups, did you take any pictures of the little guys? Thanks for the info on the Flaming Gorge Motel. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]No pics of little fish. Not allowed except I would of made an execption for IFG's smallmouth! HA! I've got wiper lures that are bigger than that little guy![/size][/font]
[signature]
Must have the glow from IFG that hindered the catch. Those fish need shades when he's fishing. Too bad you guys worked so hard and came up with so little, ah, but the experience points are mounting for the next trip. Good luck next time.
[signature]
It wouldn't be so bad except the fish are there. We can see them on the fish-finder, and big ones too. I think I would rather not find them at all than sit on top of them all day for a few small fish. We can get bigger ones at Bear Lake and don't have to drive 3 1/2 hours to do it. Heck, I even threw a plain nighcrawler at them, yes, I was desperate. There is always next time I guess, man do I sound like a Red Sox fan or what?
[signature]