Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berry, Nelle, and Rockport 12-20
Strawberry - We arrived at the SC turnoff at 10am. We got out on the ice and tried out the Sonar unit for the 1st time on the ice. Plenty of schooling fish but not a lot of biters. My twin got 2 rainbows and lost a big cutt right at the hole. I got 1 ranbow at 13 inches. We moved around and I almost fished the open water but another angler beat me to it. As we left we met BFT's Puddles and chatted for a bit about the finer things in life. We left by 2pm. Most of the lake is capped.

We were using pumpkin pepper gold in size 1/32 and 1/16 tipped with a nightcrawler. The paddle bugs in white and gold and silver kastmasters tipped with chub didn't get any love.

Jordanelle - Arrived at the Rock Cliff Arm to find almost no ice! Don't waste your time there!

Rockport - Hoping not to have to hit Echo we prayed that there would be ice at Rockport. What do ya know there was 5.5 inches of ice at my favorite spot! So we set up at 4pm and started ice fishing in our home turf. Well within a few minutes I got a 20 inch rainbow right up to the hole. As I was hoisting it out of the hole the hook broke and the fish got away. A little while later my twin landed a 11.5 inch yellow perch.

Then it happend. My twin felt ill and within 10 minutes he was violently vommiting on the ice at 5pm. As we packed up he was more than willing to hit the bathrooms at the boat launch (yes they are fushig and open) while I checked the ice and the bait vending machine. There was open water at the shoreline there and the vending machine sells worms for $3 a dozen, pop gear for $20 and powerbait as well as bobbers. My twin had me pull over no less than 4 times on the way home for him to barf off the side of the highways.

We were using pumpkin pepper gold jigs tipped with nightcrawlers. We tried ice flies and other fire tiger hali type jigs with no luck. A group of 2 were out there as well and they said they got 6 rainbows. Maybe it will be a better year for the perch afterall. Perch party here we come!

Here is a shot of the SC side of the berry. The open water is just out of the shot.
[Image: 766759.JPG]

Evil Tye Dye with his gigantic Yelow Perch at Rockport!
[Image: 766760.JPG]
[signature]
Nice report tye dyes..and great photos you always post as well. Especially Red lake trip. Thanks for all ur efforts... Must be nice to fish as often as you two..lol[fishon]
[signature]
I agree, good report. Hope the Twin is alright. Rockport looks like open water. Crazy stuff, that ice.
[signature]
Nice report! Glad to see Rockport is frozen over! Probly heading up that way along with the crowds this weekend. I hope your twin is feeling a ton better! That has to be the worst end to a good day.
[signature]
We might just be in the crowds with ya. Either that or smith and morehouse or twin lakes/lake mary at brighton (big cottonwood canyon) or even grantsville. Oh the possibilties are getting better and better. About dam time if ya ask me!
[signature]
nice report twins. props on the jumbo perch, i hope my spot out there will produce some good numbers of them this year, also you cant beatt the hard fightin rainbows at rockport too, lots of fun even when they get off or break your line, nothinlike your drag screaming on an ultralite ice rod. cool cool . that ice is a trip

tightlines
[signature]
I totally have to agree with you! I am loving the ice fishing so far this season. Only been skunked once and it was expected as I went to AF boat harbor for a scouting trip before bringing out a 5 year old. Glad I did because the next day was a blast at Scofield.

Its looking like I'll be up to Rockport either Friday or Monday or both. Don't be afraid to shoot me a PM if you decide thats where your going. The more friends on the lake the merrier in my opinion.
[signature]
Did it look like the area by the ladders was capped at strawberry???
[signature]
[quote fishmaniac]Did it look like the area by the ladders was capped at strawberry???[/quote]

Yep it sure was! Go for it!
[signature]
Well done. I wish I could fish as often as you guys.
[signature]
Thanks for the report TDT- I am anxious to go up to Rockport, its sounds like some is iced but not the whole thing? Im taking some guys from work out on next Wednesday and would prefer to go to RP, but wasnt sure of the ice so planned for Scofield. Would the RP trip be worth it- ice wise?
Hope you bro feels better, nothing worse than the flaming gomboo when it comes on fast like that.
[signature]
Been waitin to hear that for quite some time! Thanks
[signature]
[quote MacFisher]I totally have to agree with you! I am loving the ice fishing so far this season. Only been skunked once and it was expected as I went to AF boat harbor for a scouting trip before bringing out a 5 year old. Glad I did because the next day was a blast at Scofield.

Its looking like I'll be up to Rockport either Friday or Monday or both. Don't be afraid to shoot me a PM if you decide thats where your going. The more friends on the lake the merrier in my opinion.[/quote]

PM sent! Lets make it happen captin!
[signature]
[quote ChubbyChaser]Thanks for the report TDT- I am anxious to go up to Rockport, its sounds like some is iced but not the whole thing? Im taking some guys from work out on next Wednesday and would prefer to go to RP, but wasnt sure of the ice so planned for Scofield. Would the RP trip be worth it- ice wise?
Hope you bro feels better, nothing worse than the flaming gomboo when it comes on fast like that.[/quote]

The dam end looked thinner for sure at Rockport. The boat ramp had some open water right up against shore. Still ice wise it is great! Clear and thick!

As for the fishing and catching Scofield is a better option. The island at Scofield is great fishing. Still I will have to try more than one spot and be there for more than 1 hour at Rockport to see where the best fishing is.
[signature]
thanks for the report you allways seem to have good info
[signature]
Nice report fella's! would look better though with a pick your evil twin ralphin out the window. [angelic][Image: angry.gif][Image: bobmad.gif][Image: happy.gif][Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
Hey TyeDye-

Can you give us a general "Here's safe ice" and Here's open water" guidance at Rockport? Last I heard, the dam side was capped (but you say thin ice?), but the far South end by the river was open. Want to get up there, but not spend an hour finding the safest ice to take kids out on over the holidays.

Thanks!

TiteLines
[signature]