Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Lake access in winter - any snowmobilers here?
Has anyone on here ever been to Black Lake northwest of Council in the wintertime via snowmobile? I'm familiar with the area in the summertime, but never been up there with snow on the ground.

This wouldn't be a fishing trip. Just a pleasurable journey.
[signature]
Passing over the high dive is pretty nasty from what I hear. I have never done it myself but am from Council and know a lot of people up there who have. I believe you might have to drop into Granite Creek and climb back over into Lake Creek.
[signature]
When you say the 'high dive', I presume you are referring to the highest elevation region up the the fire lookout? I suspect there's a big snow cornice that builds up right there from the blowing snow (during winters where we actually HAVE snow, that is).
[signature]
Yes the high dive is north of Smith Mtn (the lookout). After you pass Smith Mtn the high dive is in the head of Deep Creek. There have been times on the 4th of July that there has still been 15-20 feet of snow in that area.
[signature]
That near Hornett creek res or am I totally thinking the wrong area?
[signature]
Ok, I'm still trying to understand this. It looks like I would still need to cross the high dive in order to drop into Granite Creek, and then climb into Lake Creek.

[quote customweld]Yes the high dive is north of Smith Mtn (the lookout). After you pass Smith Mtn the high dive is in the head of Deep Creek. There have been times on the 4th of July that there has still been 15-20 feet of snow in that area.[/quote]
[signature]
You are correct about crossing the high dive before Granite Creek. The Saddle at which you cross from the Snake drainage into the Rapid River drainage is called Saddle Camp.This is where the Deep Creek trail takes off to the west and then you are in Granite Creek .If you are going to try to leave soon you might still be able to take the road in. I hiked up the Deep Creek trail today and the snow is pretty high up.The road might not be drifted over yet.
[signature]